RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat's 35PB Checkmaker

Boolit Buddy

Pat's 35PB Checkmaker

Yesterday I received my 35PB Checkmaker from PatMarlin. This report is considerably different than what I anticipated posting. My first impressions are WOW!

I cut a Hires root beer can into strips. Aluminum cans tend to retain their can shape and are a real pain to cut on the paper cutter. Lith plate and copper sheeting are flat and cut beautiful into strips.

The first disks that I cut were from the lith plate. I stacked three strips up and ran them through the cutter. They cut very well. Please do not try this! The disks stick together and you will spend more time trying to get them apart than if you cut them from a single strip.

I also cut the pop can strips in three layers. For me they cut better win multiple layers than they do in a single layer. They do not stick together when cut in multiple layers.

The checks formed very well using the 0.004” pop can, 0.008” lith plate, and 0.10” copper materials. The fit of the check is not tight for the diameter of boolit I used. They should accommodate a large range of diameters.

I ran the boolits through my Star to seat the gas checks. I was surprised with the effort required to size them. They required much less effort than I was expecting.

This is not an extensive test, but I loaded ten rounds of plain base, pop can check, lith check, and copper check. The checks shot better that the plain base.

Equipment:
    RPM Sportsman in .357 magnum with 10 - ¾” barrel & 2x Burris
    LBT 357 158 OWC sized to 0.359” over 10.6 grains 2400. A rather mild load.
    Testing was done at 50 yards from a bench.

First plain base ~ Second pop can ~ Third .008" lith plate ~ Fourth .010 copper
    Last edited by .30/30 Guy; 08-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Master

Got mine a couple of days ago also. Pop can material works pretty well and i'm working the bugs out of my system.

I'm GCing the 358429HP and I too was surprised at the small effort that it requires.

I anealed some pop can material a while back but now, I have to stop and remember how I did it but that seems the way to go on the PB bullets.

My finished product bases turn out great./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    There are some comments that I would like to add about my previous post.

The boolits that I used in my test work great in my S&W model 27 sized to .358”. The RPM does much better with a .359 boolit than it does with a .358 boolit. The LBT mold drops boolits in the .358 range. They almost drop through the Star die. I have considered beagling the mold. My theory is that the plain base gas check adds a driving band on the back of the boolit and thereby increases the accuracy. I can in effect alter the boolit diameter with the gas check.

If I were starting over in pistol molds I would get only plain base molds. The plain base gas check makes the plain base boolit dual purpose. Only have to cast one boolit for either application.

I have this dream about a .30 plain base boolit. Add a 30PB gas check to it. Oh the possibilities………..

Banned

Wow! Outstanding Robert .....!

You guys make me look good. You guys make my work easier and give me the will to carry on.

An old friend of mine in the music business (keyboardist for Tower of Power actually, and a great person) used to say, "Applause is the food of the entertainer". Your feed back comments and shooting results is my food.

I'm very thankful to be a part of this shooting community here at Cast Boolits, and have so many of you seasoned experienced cast shooters use and like my products, and validate the same benefits I see in them. We shall keep going...

Boolit Master

You do good work...../beagle

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Wow! Outstanding Robert .....!

You guys make me look good. You guys make my work easier and give me the will to carry on.

An old friend of mine in the music business (keyboardist for Tower of Power actually, and a great person) used to say, "Applause is the food of the entertainer". Your feed back comments and shooting results is my food.

I'm very thankful to be a part of this shooting community here at Cast Boolits, and have so many of you seasoned experienced cast shooters use and like my products, and validate the same benefits I see in them. We shall keep going...

Boolit Master

Yes, a GC will add more stability. I had a MG .30/30 Marlin and a GC bullet always shot better than a PB bullet. I attributed that to the shallow rifling holding the check. With a PB bullet, no matter the velocity in the shallow rifling, I think I was "losing traction" and they were skidding./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by .30/30 Guy View Post
    There are some comments that I would like to add about my previous post.

The boolits that I used in my test work great in my S&W model 27 sized to .358”. The RPM does much better with a .359 boolit than it does with a .358 boolit. The LBT mold drops boolits in the .358 range. They almost drop through the Star die. I have considered beagling the mold. My theory is that the plain base gas check adds a driving band on the back of the boolit and thereby increases the accuracy. I can in effect alter the boolit diameter with the gas check.

If I were starting over in pistol molds I would get only plain base molds. The plain base gas check makes the plain base boolit dual purpose. Only have to cast one boolit for either application.

I have this dream about a .30 plain base boolit. Add a 30PB gas check to it. Oh the possibilities………..

wow, can't wait to get mine

Boolit Buddy
    I tested boolits from a different mold with the PD gas checks.

The mold I used is a Hoch 357 157 nose pour plain base. This has been my best mold for the .357 that I have tested. Why would anyone use a single cavity nose pour for pistol? Back in the 1960's I lived in Montrose, Colorado and did a lot of shooting with Rich Hoch before he made boolit molds. I have gotten some of his molds to help me remember what a great guy he was.

I used the same gun and load as before. I wasn't expecting much difference between the plain base and adding the gas checks because of the quality of the bases of the boolits. I was very pleased with the results. With the gas check groups there is "central" center group of about 1-1/4".

I am impressed with the results of the PB gas checks using the two different boolits that I have tried.
    Last edited by .30/30 Guy; 08-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Banned

Beauty Robert-

I think old Elmer would have liked the PB Checkmaker™. Soon as I get more calibers programed and done with, I'll start putting in range time again. Can't wait to have some fun going for 200 yrds with my PB molds.

This is an absolute dream come true! I am saving my pennies for this one... actually two of 'em

I'm very anxious to have mine arrived. Pat says he already ship it last Friday!

I'm so excited I cannot sit still thinking what will be the groupings in my GP100 6" 357mag!

Boolit Buddy
    I just made a batch of PB checks out of 0.08" lith plate. After running a few PB boolits through my Star I tried a gas check shank boolit with a PB check. WOW! It looked great! I may need to rethink making both regular 35 checks and 35 PB checks.

At least with the 0.008" lith plate I don't see any difference in the installed checks.

Edit:

I cut a strip of 0.010" copper and make a few PB checks. Again I seated them on some gas check shank boolits. Same results as with the lith plate stuff. Worked very good.
    Last edited by .30/30 Guy; 10-22-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added copper results

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting that, as that's something I've been considering since I came across Pat's PB dies. Have you done any comparison testing against GC boolits with "traditional" GCs, instead of against PBs though?

What weight? If something small, you may be interested in this:
    Soupcan 30 cal AKA 311316 NOE GB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Thanks for posting that, as that's something I've been considering since I came across Pat's PB dies. Have you done any comparison testing against GC boolits with "traditional" GCs, instead of against PBs though?

What weight? If something small, you may be interested in this:
    Soupcan 30 cal AKA 311316 NOE GB

I don't quite follow your question Dannix. Are you are asking if there has been accuracy tests with factory gas checks compared to Checkmaker™ dies checks? If so the answer is a definite yes, and you can find those comparisons weeding through the links I've posted here in the Gas Check section this morning. "Mother of all Links thread"

Shooters here have met or exceeded the accuracy performance of factory checks with their self made Checkmaker™ die gas checks.

Boolit Bub
    My brother has the same GC in 35PB. He made me about 600 of them. He told me he used a beware of dog sign he bought at home depot for $1.19. 1000 from Midway would cost $36.00 shipped. So for 1200 Gc $2.38 now that is a deal. The gas check will not pull off the castboolits. I use a RCBS mold and resize to .358 using Lee die. I tumble lube with Alox. He also ordered another GC maker from Pat but I dont know which one. Pat makes a good product.

Boolit Master
    Not Checkmaker™ die gas checks vs store bought. I'm already sold on Checkmaker™ die gas checks being at least an equal to the factory options.

I'm asking if there's been any testing of a plain base boolit with a Checkmaker™ PB die gas check versus a gas check boolit with a Checkmaker™ ("normal", "traditional", non-PB) die gas check.

A plain base boolit with a Checkmaker™ PB die gas check versus a plain base boolit sans gas check had been done. Your PB dies are surely a boon to those with plain base boolits that wouldn't play nicely otherwise! But I'm not ready to completely abandon gas check boolit designs and switch exclusively to PBs solely on that. You follow?

Hope that's clearer than mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix
    Quote Originally Posted by .30/30 Guy
    I don't quite follow your question Dannix. Are you are asking if there has been accuracy tests with factory gas checks compared to Checkmaker™ dies checks? If so the answer is a definite yes, and you can find those comparisons weeding through the links I've posted here in the Gas Check section this morning. "Mother of all Links thread"

Shooters here have met or exceeded the accuracy performance of factory checks with their self made Checkmaker™ die gas checks.

Banned

Right here:

Just in- New test report on the 35PB cal Checkmaker™
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93833

Boolit Master
    That link is to this thread. Was that intentional? I'm only seeing PB vs PB with PB Gas Check. Am I blind?

Right here:

Just in- New test report on the 35PB cal Checkmaker™
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93833

Boolit Buddy
    Dannix ~ I posted results on using PatMarlin's 35 Checkmaker as well as the 35 PB. If you search you should be able to find it.

I was looking at my data and with my .357 Mag pistol and I am getting better groups with the 35 PB than I am with the regular gas check boolits. Perhaps 1/4" at 50 yards.

I am real impressed with the PB concept.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting. I'll search for it then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast