RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Wesson Dilemna

Boolit Master

Go to Guns America and type in your gun. You can get an idea what a DWA like yours is going for these days....dale

Banned

There was one period when the Dan Wesson went down hill. A change in owners caused it.
    I don't know but think they are back.
    The early ones were wonderful so shoot it. You will never wear it out. It loses no value and if it is super accurate, it is worth more. Nothing worse then a gun that will not shoot and I refuse to collect such stuff.
    Well, maybe a Colt SSA army that has never been shot or one full of engraving and gold---useless guns. Guns were made to shoot.

Boolit Mold
    I have one of each, well, my DW is a 6" 15-2VH. I wouldn't willingly give it *or* my SBH up given my 'druthers.
    As for value, these Monson DWs (no experience with the other ones) are FAR nicer revolvers than their prices reflect, and I wonder if we're going to see a large spike in the future. Doesn't matter too much to me, though. I have what I want, and beyond picking up a short barrel for CCW use, I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cricco View Post
    I just picked up a Dan Wesson Model 15 .357 Mag. This gun is immaculate. I purchased it from the original owner, who bought it brand new in 1971. It was made in Monson, MA. It is a Porkchop variety model 15. This gun has NEVER been fired! The gentleman I purchased it from, even gave me the original box of ammo that he purchased with the gun! It is a very old box of Remington (DuPont) .357 Mag ammo. The dilemna I am having, is that I really wanted a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag that I could reload and cast boolits for. I couldn't find one, and then this deal pops up. Well, now I find myself with a nearly 40 year old gun that looks brand new, and never been fired. Well, I'll be damned if I'm gonna be the first fella to put a round through this beautiful revolver! Anyone have any ideas? What would YOU do in my situation?

I won't own a gun I can't shoot. So shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy0582 View Post
    I have recently aquired a large frame Dan Wesson revolver chambered in .45 Colt. It has a 6" heavy vented barrel, stainless finish, adjustable rear sight, and is stamped Monson, Mass. I have an idea of what it might be but I am not for sure. It looks like it might be a model 745 but there are no identifiers on the gun itself. I have the box but it is useless as far as information is concerned. Also, what are these worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Serial number is 45S0010XX.
    It's pretty much worthless in 45 Colt.
    It may make a good tackle box gun so I'll give you $50.00 for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    re: the DW 45 colt, I have never seen one sale, but the 44's seem to run in the 700 to 800 dollar range, for the gun itself with one barrel, the full on kits with case and barrels run higher, about 1100 hereabouts. I would expect the 45 to run about the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Last revolvers I get rid of will be the DW´s. The Monsoms were well built and will outshoot all other production revolvers plus not fall apart in your hand.
    Look on Gunbroker for real prices. I see 44 mags going for $450 & up depending on the day. A 45 Colt goes for a premiun price like the 41 Mags. Reduce the barrel gap to .0015 and put a good tight turn on the barrel nut and that DW will shoot circles around all but the expensive SA revolvers cost 2x+ . Still have my first 15-2 (1977) and all the rest..
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It's pretty much worthless in 45 Colt.
    It may make a good tackle box gun so I'll give you $50.00 for it.
    Thanks for the info. Also, would anyone know where to get barrels for in .45 Colt? I am able to find them in all calibers and finishes for everything except .45 Colt. Im looking for an 8, 10, 12, 0r 15 inch barrel. As for you Mr. Peter Nap... I may not know much about my DW but I do know that it is worth far more than $50 and is more than just a tackle box pistol. You wouldnt be trying to swindle me now would you? Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12