Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 50 cal. Rim fire cartridge.

In Remembrance

50 cal. Rim fire cartridge.

While at a friend's house today I spotted a cartridge in his reloading room that immediately caught my eye. Turns out to be a 50 cal. rimfire cartridge that was found in the area north of Ft. Elliot. It is a copper case 1.8 in. long with a lead bullet about like a 230 gr. RN in a 45 ACP, but appears to have about 3/4 in of bullet in the case. The case is tapered to the point where the base of the bullet begins where there is a slight step down for the case neck. There are no markings and the base of the case is indented on either side about 1/4 in. long. Any guesses what gun this fit? I took a pic with my cell phone, but haven't been able to get it into the computer yet.

Are you sure it is a rim fire ?

Could the cartridge be a "pin fire" rather than a rim fire ? There were some up to 12 bore & 40 bore "pin fire" weapons built - esp in Europe & England circa 1866. They would have been "Top of the Line" shot / slug guns , rifles.
    Just a wild arss guess.

JohnMc
    John Mc
    NSSA, NRA Life.

Boolit Master

Do a search for .50-60 Rimfire

Joslyn Rifle
    .50-60 Rimfire
    Springfield Armory 1865

I have it listed in a referance book , but that is all

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    The length and style suggest the 50-70 government which is a center fire but the original GI used an in the case primer and the shell looks like a rim fire. There were two types one had crimp marks just above the case rim and the other did not have any. Based on it being found near an old army fort this is what it could be.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    While at a friend's house today I spotted a cartridge in his reloading room that immediately caught my eye. Turns out to be a 50 cal. rimfire cartridge that was found in the area north of Ft. Elliot. It is a copper case 1.8 in. long with a lead bullet about like a 230 gr. RN in a 45 ACP, but appears to have about 3/4 in of bullet in the case. The case is tapered to the point where the base of the bullet begins where there is a slight step down for the case neck. There are no markings and the base of the case is indented on either side about 1/4 in. long. Any guesses what gun this fit? I took a pic with my cell phone, but haven't been able to get it into the computer yet.
    Possibly a SPENCER round. But they weren't tapered. Also could be a Gallagher or Burnside round - but not primed - is there a small hole in the base? The indention you mention could be that. Burnsides especially were tapered.

Boolit Bub
    Benet primed.

In Remembrance

I believe 50-70 is what it is. I am working on getting pics.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 09-23-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the guys who think it's benet primed. From the description, that's exactly what it sounds like.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!