RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: simple shotmaker set up

Boolit Master

simple shotmaker set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKlv...layer_embedded

It apear to be in slow motion. I am no camera man. The shot falls out of the maker much faster. If you listen you can hear a small ticking noise like a noise lifter on an engine. thats closer to how fast the shot is dripping. I find it cool though to see the shot in my slowmo version. I have no idea why it did that ?

Now for real simple you can find one of these table top versions. I got this from a fellow shooter. He never used it. The directions claim with practice you can do 5lbs per hour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1528.jpg  
    Last edited by mac1911; 09-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Moderator Emeritus
    Mac,

It's not in slow-motion... The camera shutter speed and frames per second don't match the speed of the shot coming out so you don't see every piece of shot and only see a snapshot in time. It's kind of like the wagon wheels that go backwards in the movies

John

Banned

I watched that a while back, apparently that was a "kit" you bought, or basically a set of DIY instructions using commonly available parts. Pretty neat. I was trying to find a way to make small quantities of #12 shot myself, so far no luck.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Gear, I started with #9 drippers. I had problems with them not flowing well. A call to the manufacture stated that useing to pure of a mix can have problems on the smaller shot drippers.
    When trying to make shot you need a ramp of some sort for the shot to bounce and roll a bit. If you just let the shot drip you get tear drop or tails on your shot. You can see in the video the tails forming a bit as it just releases from the dripper.
    The shot maker it self is a James Stewart Better Shotmaker and works well. I have one nozzle that has been a pain from day one. I just leave it alone for now. I only run about 50lbs every few weeks so one nozzle not working is no big deal.

I posted pics before this is just a quick video. I did this more to learn how to use the camera and pc to down load stuff.

Boolit Mold
    mac1911 can you elaborate on this table top shot maker you posted a picture of? looks interesting and simple.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the long wait.
    It's a table top model designed to be used with the short plumbers torch bottles. I never tried it. Still sitting in the basement somewhere.

Boolit Man
    I assume that is for small shot.
    Is there a machine to cast B,BB and BBB shot?
    I contacted Shot Maker and they said their machines will not make shot that large.
    I use more BB than any other shot and would love to make Bismuth BB shot

Boolit Man
    Repeat,

Buy a mold from buckshotmold.com? These are the sharpshooter molds common on here. May have to email him, he doesn't always list everything he has. I have a .190 mold, think he goes down to .170. Not fast, but probably your only option.

Agree with spudgunr, trying to drip bigger than 4's or dueces just is not going to work well.

I have 3 of the buckshot molds from sharpshooter and they work well. I do rework mine, handles twice as long and half as thick. Small hands here, and doing that keeps my pinky's away from hot metal.

I have the 00/#4 combo, a #1 .30 caliber that I dearly love, and a .22 which does cast a round ball that shoots in my .22 airguns. Not as accurate as pellets, but good enough to take a squirrel in the head at 20 - 50 feet which is just fine for SHTF.

Boolit Master
    all interesting thanks for sharing

Boolit Buddy

This was a side project I did... works well for me to make a modest amount of shot.. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2358605

Boolit Master
    old post but im thinking of selling the table top single dripper short maker. I never used and and IO think its time for a home to someone who collects or wants a very small shotmaker