Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Where can i find Bull Plate

Boolit Master

Where can i find Bull Plate

Does any of the major suppliers carry it? If not where can i order a supply?

Thanks
    Dwight

Boolit Master

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

A great guy to deal with

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Banned

Dan (Bullshop) only does mail-order business, and I think he's currently running without email as far as I know. He lives in the middle of nowhere. He is 100% reliable and honest in my experience and if you send him a check to the address on his website he WILL send you your product. You will not be disappointed.

Gear

Boolit Mold

Bull Plate? (and other questions)

OK, I'm a New Guy and I'll ask: What is a Bull Plate?

And while I'm at it, I plan on casting roundballs (3 sizes) and maybe one (1) BIG conical (835 grs for my .72 KODIAK Double) in a week or so.

All my molds are new. What should I do to prep them?

What's the optimum temperature for the lead (all roundballs will use 100 pure lead from Roto metals)?

What antimony/mix do you reccommend for the conical?

Smoking vs non smoking (moulds, NOT seating sections)?

I apologize for cramming in all the other questions, but I'm a little excited at the prospect of my first casting session and want to get things as right as can be!

Many Thanks - Marc

Boolit Grand Master

Clean them good and use a high temp oil. Bull plate lube is waht most of us use. Some use 2 cycle oil. Pure lead takes allot of heat, if you are using an electric pot crank it up all the way and then you can lower it some to see how low you can go and still get good fil out. You can add a little tin to improve fill out and it won't hurt a thing. I don't smoke moulds myself, never really got into it. It didn't seem to help for me and roundballs are the easiest to do so you shouldn't need to on them anyway.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Marc,

First, - Welcome! You will find a lot of really good info on this site.

Second -
    Please read the extensive stickies that cover your questions. This and more has been
    covered in a lot of detail.

As a new guy one of your responsibilities is to take advantage of the extensive collection
    of highly useful sticky notes that we provide to educate our new members.

The only cost is your time to read and understand.

Enjoy.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Mooman, so Bull Plate is a type of cleaning oil (like Cleanzoil?) to prep/clean the moulds? I've got a Lee Magnum Melter and a Lyman ladle. The're sitting thee, along with the Lyman thermometer and all the other casting stuff waiting for me to get off my **** and get CASTING!

MtGun44, thank you for mentioning the "stickies". I figure 96% of what I want to know has been covered a thousand times and I feel kinda silly asking such basic questions. But quite honestly I didn't really know that the stickies were a type of archive of answers to the most asked questions. I will be sure to go to them for most of my questions so I don't waste the board's space and members' time. I already have a high regard for the members' collective knowledge and I want to treat them (you) with respect. Many Thanks - Marc

Bullplate is Bullplate Sprue Plate Lube. It is intended to provide a light film of lube on the top of aluminum molds (works on iron ones, too) to prevent galling the top of the mold and help prevent lead buildup under the sprue plate. It also works well on the locating ribs and pin on Lee 1 & 2 cavity molds (NEVER use beeswax or boolit lube) and a jillion other things..including being the foundation for Speed Green Bullet Lube (another Bullshop product).
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Dan (Bullshop) only does mail-order business, and I think he's currently running without email as far as I know. He lives in the middle of nowhere. He is 100% reliable and honest in my experience and if you send him a check to the address on his website he WILL send you your product. You will not be disappointed. Gear
    Problem with that. Unless I just plain missed it the Bullplate price isn't listed on the web site (nor is Bullplate). Shipping price for Bullplate is listed under lube shipping prices but I found no other mention of Bullplate.

So I could use the P.O. Box snail mail address and send him a check but . . . How much do I make the check out for?

I was gonna order Speed Green and Bullplate but . . .

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Update: I sent Dan an email right before I made the above post, by the time I typed out the post I had an email answer from Dan. So he does have email working and I'll be ordering both Bull Plate and Speed Green.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Marc,

New guys frequently have the same basic questions, so it is (as you noted) more efficient
    to learn the basics from some of the casting books and then get some more education
    from the stickies - which are particularly good and widely applicable threads that the mods
    decided are worth keeping easily accessible.

Don't be TOO shy about asking, but it is best to have spent some time reading the books
    and then actually trying some stuff before asking a lot of questions. Much of the basics
    are best learned from the books, but there will be inevitable issues which are not clear.

So - get to casting!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Hope you ordered two bottles. If you're like most if us you'll figure out a creative way to spill the first one!

Seriously, it's the best mold lube I've ever used. You'll like how it works and a little goes a long way. I use it on all my molds, iron or aluminum.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Hope you ordered two bottles. If you're like most if us you'll figure out a creative way to spill the first one!
    Now Perfessor, why do you suppose I just put a check in the mail for 2 more bottles?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post

Seriously, it's the best mold lube I've ever used. You'll like how it works and a little goes a long way. I use it on all my molds, iron or aluminum.
    +1.
    I just tip the bottle upside down then unscrew the cap and "mop" it out a bit with a Q-Tip. That's enough to lube a mould twice at least!
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Marc Adamchek
    Bullplate lube is not a cleaning type lube like Cleanzoil. It may have cleaning properties but it is a high temp lube.
    Aim small, miss small!