Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need snider help

Beekeeper

Need snider help

As I have posted on the forum several times I am working on a Snider short rifle from the Nepal Cache.
    I have it restored and have shot it a couple of times just to hear it roar once again.

Now I am attempting to correct all of the little things that are wrong with it.(or I think are wrong).
    I has a firing problem I have been trying to solve since the beginning.
    To start with,
    I am using Jamison cases
    Standard large rifle primers
    Goex FFG powder
    A .600 dia. round ball.

Shells were loaded for me as I have zero experience with BP.

The trigger is pulled and firing pin falls , and no BANG, Hammer is recocked and trigger pulled and fires every time.

During my investigations I prussian blued a case and placed it in the chamber and did the trigger thing with only a primer.
    I am marking the chamber approximately 1/2 inch up from the case head.
    The case was full legnth sized on a Lee die prior to inserting in the chamber.
    This leads me to believe the case is not seating far enough into the chamber for a complete firing pin hit

Now using what little intelect I have I have come to the conclusion that I either have a small chamber or the brass is not the proper brass (even tho it is .577 Snider brass) for my chamber.

Is it possible to fireform these cases?
    If so (remember it is a 130 year old rifle) can it be done using smokeless powder?
    If so what is a good load to do it with and how would you load it?
    Does it require a projestile?
    I have read a lot of posts and everyone seems to have their own idea on fire forming, even one I read that recommended using floral foam for the projectile.

I like my arms and legs where they are but want to make this old rifle sing once more and would appreciate any help anyone has.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I have yoused 10 to 15gr of trail boss with good results in fire forming for various old BP cartriges ,for your Nepalise Snider 10gr would be better as they are not as well made as the British ones,when you put the cass in the chamber will it fall out under its own weaight,if it does the brass is allright ,try large pistol primers,not only are they softer they are more acurate in my experince for BP

Boolit Master

Jim here is a forum that may be able to give you some help.
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/
    There are some very knowledgeable folks over there on Sniders. Herbert's pistol primer has some merit as well. I'm wondering if who ever loaded those for you didn't get the primer seated solid. The firing pin might be seating the primer on the first hit and firing it on the second.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Moderator Emeritus
    I'd ditch the Jamison brass, the stuff I got from them was way out of spec, and get some decent stuff. Kynoch and Bertram are very good if pricey but better spending the money on decent cases that work than wasting your dosh on Jamison rubbish that doesn't.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks