RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Believe i got lucky

Hi don:

I understand that there seem to be less variables using grease groove boolit's, i'm sure i'll have some frustrations !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the weight recommendation also--------------initially i'll be working in the mid-range area, i hope to begin with a boolit design that will also provide the required stability for longer ranges. I hope the 500 grain weight can get close to that goal. with so many boolit nose design's to choose from selection does get a bit confusing.

again thanks for the reccomendation

dave

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Dave I tend to favor the traditional nose shapes. The patched bullet I've shot all summer is a traditional Sharps bullet, and it really doesn't lack anything all the way to the 1000 yd line.
    At the Sagebrush shoot in Alliance Ne last month there were only 2 runs on the 1000 yd target, one was with a traditional sharps design patched bullet and the other was a more traditional shaped grease groove.
    While some of the "newer" stuff is interesting those old dead guys pretty much had it figured, we're just trying to relearn it.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Don:

I was thinking of talking to the "montana bullet works" about one of their pp bullets to see if they would size the base bullet for me, then i can patch up with the paper i select. The two pp designs, that they show on their 45 caliber page, seem to be "standard" shapes however a bit over the 500 grain target.

Perhaps after a bit i'll bore my own mold for, grins and giggles, and experiment with interchangable nose profiles with the correct paralell body diameter after i determining that diameter .

I understand the "traditional bullet shape" approach----------------i wonder if the newest generation of black powder cartridge shooters will ever approach the volume of bullets sent down range by the old timers.

The learning is the fun part

dave

Boolit Master
    The B in the serrial Number before the number is the first 10,000 Shiloh Under the Bryan's ownership, the B at the rear of the Number means after the first 10,000. Paper patching is a whole new kettle of Fish for a new shooter. I would suggest patching to bore with your Shiloh.

Lot of good moulds out there, BACO's are as good as anyones.

KW
    The Lunger

Dave I'ld start with bullets from Baco in the .442 vicinity and patch them with their paper. Or drop powderburner a pm and visit with him about a selection of bullets patched and unpatched.
    I use paper mill 9lb onionskin and am real happy with it.
    As to how many rounds down range todays shooter does? I've got nearly a 1000 with close tohalf of that for score in various matches,just this past year. And that's nothing compared to the round count that Riflemen like Kenny ,leadpot and powderburner heave down range.
    But in the end I'ld still urge you to go with greasers to get your feet on the ground and then as Kenny so aptly put it go into that other"kettle of fish"
    I'ld also strongly recommend you get to the nearest shoot. Take your rifle and what ever ammo you have loaded and jump right in. You'll learn more in one days match shooting than you will in 5 years of sitting in the solitude of your own range and building large post counts on various internet forums.

Hi Mr. wasserburger:

Hi Don:

Ok i'll compromise and proceed on two front's, greasers and paper patch and see what happens, i'll be sure to contact powderburner as well----------experience is the best teacher after the mechanical details are under control.

Perhaps a bit of personal history will help explain my approach, i am a mechanical engineer----i now manage engineers rather than get involved in day to day enginnering work-------learning to load b.r.c. and fit everything to this rifle lets me get hands on with the engineering aspects-------that to me is major fun.

I was a partner in "estate cartridge" doing the internal balistics and equipement design work there until we sold the company to federal cartridge several years ago. Estate cartridge produced the complete spectrum of shotgun shells. It was a blast and while vastly different from loading black powder it did deal with the same circumstances of pressures and velocities though in much different ways. I spent a bunch of time behind a pressure gun then evaluating all aspects of shotgun shell design and performance.

Hopefully some of that history, along with research and the help of kind folks i have met here will let me get the rifle up to speed pretty quickly. The things the shooter has to learn (me for example) will happen at the range----i have been to a couple of shoots and can't wait to begin shootin.

again thanks for the advice it is sincerely appreciated

dave

Dave I rolled a lot of ducks belly up with the Kent 3 inch 20 ga. steel shot, then I started reloading Bismuth....
    While not really a digression finding a good load with bpcr is alot akin to making a good shotshell, neither one is as fogiving of screwups as centerfire highpower stuff.
    Have fun with the new rifle. I'm betting you have it running pretty well in very short order.

Don: estate actually declined to load for kent in the states-----we didn't think "the queens warrant" offered much in the way of marketing power this side of the pond.

We did load tons of bismuth for "the bismuth cartridge company" out of dallas------when they sold to winchester we became the only facility to ever load inder the winchester brand outside the winchester facility.

I'll have the chamber dimension drawings of both the shiloh chamber reamer and the chamber in this gun to post tomorrow.

later

dave

Hehehe well just got another lesson in listening to some "bad" info. The guy at the local slobber shop always said they was one and the same. ..... Thanks for straigthening that out for me. Been nearly 10 years since I got to do any duck hunting but sure did/do enjoy it..

I love to chase the ducks as well-----------here on the gulf coast it can be rather pleasant during the season-----------------i'm sure in your neck of the woods it can be a bit frosty in the duck blind.

"Hell Gap" love to have that address------------best i can do is adopt the nearest town of local color____________ "Cut-N-Shoot" texas ---------i live in the country quite near there.

back to the sharps-----------i drew up the chamber last evening along with the shiloh reamer spec's that montana charlie pointed me to, i'll post them a little later today.

I still need to check barrel dimensions --------- with a little luck i can slug it this evening and pick out a greaser to order when i order brass.

Perhaps someone can assist on case mouth thickness and therefore brass manufacturer that will be the best fit to the chamber i have.

have a great day

dave

Hi folks:

Attached is a jpeg of the chamber in this rifle and the chamber reamer specs charlie montana pointed me to, this is an autocad 2 file ------if anyone would like a copy of the cad file just let me know.

I hope i upload it correctly

Looks like the chamber in this rifle is cut with the reamer used by shilo------------------i can't see the 0.050 freebore then the 5 degrees---looks like 5 degrees all the way to me in my rifle.

These dimensions lead me to a brass wall thickness of 0.0115 to minimize interferance difficulties when the boolit moves out of the case---------------who's brass most closely approximates this thickness ?

Don:
    how about the 1881 500 grain greaser as a starting point ?

thank for the help everyone

dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45-70-Model.jpg  

Dave I don't have much experience with that bullet in my rifles. I can tell you however that Bill Bagwell thinks quite highly of that bullet. He has told me many times about how well his Shiloh's get along with that bullet and the postell using remington brass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12