Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: 357446 vs. 357443

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri

357446 vs. 357443

The bullets weigh the same dropped from my molds using A/C W/W. I'm wondering about accuracy potential in quality revolvers such as Colt Officers Models and S&W Target Masterpiece. Has anyone here experience comparing these two obsolete designs under target circumstances?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a four cavity Lyman 357446, my mold drops bullets .359" diameter, 162gr., with W/W. I haven't had any luck with it for target loads, but it was not designed for target shooting, it was design for the .357 magnum.

It is a good bullet for the .357 magnum or full power .38 special. I have had good success with it in a .38 special with max. loads of Power Pistol. It seems like the harder you pushed the bullet the more accurate it got.

I haven't loaded it in a .357 magnum yet, because I don't shoot too much .357 magnum.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Thanks Windy; I use 358156 for 357. I have DC molds of these two and I shoot a lot of 38 from three Colt Officers Models, all with 6" barrels and original Colt sights, 1941, 1951, and 1961. I'll do some work up and see how it goes. So far my most consistent cast from my molds in those 3 revolvers has been 358311 over 3.5 gr. Bullseye or 4.2 gr. A#2. I'll report back at a later date.

Boolit Buddy

I have no experience with 357443, but years ago(early '60's) I had a 357446 mold and an elderly Colt Officers Match, 6in. barrel. The 357446 peformed very well as I remember, using 3.5 gr. of Bullseye. Alloy was 9lbs. W/W and 1lb. 50/50 bar solder. The only lube available where I lived was Lyman Ideal, which was made of mutton tallow and lampblack. No kidding. It left a lot to be desired but I had no leading, probably because the old Colt had an excellent barrel. Wish I had it back.

Boolit Master

Guesser, I guess I'll have to be the heavy in this one.

I've shot the 357446 extensively and opened the bands and hollow pointed it. I have never gotten really good accuracy out of it at normal loads in the .38 Special and lower powered loads in the .357 Magnum with the exception of my Colt Python. It did shoot decently but not exceptionally out of it. It was not accurate at all out of my .357 Magnum carbine unless I drove it fast and then accuracy was iffy. If you're gonna use it, it's best at higher velocities.

The 357443 was good in regular .38 Special loads but not in higher speed .38 Loads. It was not accurate at all in my Marlin .357 Magnum carbine.

With both of these bullets, I'd get decent accuracy out of 4 or 5 chambers and then a flyer or two. This was with two Ruger Blackhawks. On the Marlin, I'd get good accuracy and then an unexplained flyer that would be off the paper.

If you're looking for accuracy, unless your conditions and experiences are better than mine, you'd do better looking elsewhere for accuracy than with these two. Just MHO./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have an older 357446 it casts wonderful but just cant get very good accuracy out of it. The boolit does shoot better out of my S&W compared to my Ruger BH. 12gr of 2400 seems to have the most potential in .38 cases so far. It's a shame because that Lyman 4-cav turns out a lot of good boolits fast. FB

Boolit Grand Master
    I just looked this mould up on Google and got referred here. I see how old this thread is and am wondering whether everybody gave up on it or if anybody found a good 38 Spl load?

I just was given a 4 cavity mould and handles and am wondering whether it’s worth prepping and trying out. It’s not like I NEED another 38 Special loading, but free is free!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Green Frog

I have that mold, have used it for many years, with good result over 6 gr. of Unique in .38 spl brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the quick response, John. The batch of stuff came with a cigar box full of the fellow’s bullets he had cast from that mould, so I guess I’ll size and lube a batch and try them. I appreciate your help.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Best result with that bullet is if you can size them as close as possible to .3586, my old .358 sizing die is worn enough so that is what I get. Next batch of those I cast up I am going to tumble lube, unsized just to see how they work.

Boolit Master
    I found a 2 cav 357443 that was stashed sometime ago. With all the 38 and +p loads discussed recently it will get put to use soon.