Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strongest 357

Strongest 357

I am wanting to know which pistol will last longer shooting full house 357mag loads as far as shooting loose?Will be running 180 at 1400 fps Factory Buffalo Bore ammo and will start the hand loading as well.I had read on some other forms that the Smith just wouldnt hold up and wanting to know before we start running a steady diet through the gun.Also several said a gp 100 would be better than the smith?

So would the Smith 686 be stronger than the 357 caliber Stainless Ruger Blackhawk

Jason
    Last edited by donjose; 09-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Master

IMO the Blackhawlk

Now if you could find a 357 mag Redhawlk
    Those where a tank

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both revolvers you mention, and the intrepid load work gets done with the Bisley Blackhawk in 357 Magnum. My belief is that the Ruger is stronger than the 686, though I have no actual destruction testing data to substantiate that.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Definitely the Ruger line is a solid place to start.

Boolit Master
    Not as strong as a Redhawk but if one were wanting a S&W DA revolver how about a model 27/28?

Boolit Master
    Dan Wesson Model 15

BD

People tend to overlook the S&W 27/28 series N frame revolvers when they make these comparisons.

Remember, S&W makes 4 different frame sizes for the .357. They include J, K, L, and N frames to meet the many different needs of shooters.

Rugers are tough revolvers, but let's not define our bias by omitting the "N" frame S&W models when making these comparisons...

JMHO.....
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for the DW 15 series, and another vote for the Ruger Redhawk.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

S&W or Ruger

No!, the Ruger is alot stronger. at least thats what I think.

Boolit Master
    OP asked this:

Quote Originally Posted by donjose View Post

So would the Smith 686 be stronger than the 357 caliber Stainless Ruger Blackhawk

Jason

So the Blackhawk or the gp 100 both look soild built.I know one is single action and one is double action.So out of those two which one do you think?

Also is there anyone around that will ream out a double action cylinder as well?I was wondering if cylindersmith would do one?

Banned
    I do not know about long term durability and destruction testing. I do know that I have owned a smith 586, and a 686, a ruger blackhawk and a DW 15.....the only one that still lives here it the DW15 and it ain't never leaving. It is alot more gun for the money IMHO.

This gun will be for the wife she tried the 44 last night and just to much for her.This gun will be used for pig and coyote and deer as well.

I am still leaning for the 686 since it is already drilled and tapped for the scope mount.Plus I will probally use it for coyote calling some this season.

Jason

By the time I send off a blackhawk and have a tsob installed I am in it for the same money as the Smith

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My entry in this guessing game would have to be a Freedom Arms revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

The S&W 627 is your gun.

The 686 or GP100 are both tough guns to wear out. But shooting heavy boolit full house magnums all day, you'll come to appreciate the heft of the S&W N frame.

Boolit Master
    TC encore, if you blow up one of these in .357 you definitely messed something up somewhere.

Boolit Grand Master
    And don't rule out a Ruger Security Six if you can find one. They will fit a womans hands, and are brutally strong.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    To answer your question, as much as it hurts my soul to say it, I suspect the monster Ruger will last a bit longer but......

I think you are missing a very important part in your search for a .357. That is, how does the gun fit and feel in your hand(s). I personally do not like the Ruger grip configuration on any of their DA revolvers. This is purely personal and in no way a condemnation of Ruger products

I see someone recommended a Security Six. For me, that is the most miserable, painful recoiling .357 I have ever shot. It only was made bearable after the installation of some aftermarket rubber grips and even then, it still wasn't fun.

I believe that if you are not totally comfortable with the feel and pointability of the gun you won't have to worry about wearing it out because you won't want to shoot it, especially with full power loads.

bhn22
    S&W 27s & 28s have too short of cylinders for the really effective heavyweight cast bullets. Too short even for 357 cases loaded with Keith bullets! A 357 Redhawk would be my first choice if I wanted a tank. My 357 hunting gun is a 6 in GP100, and it's holding up much better than my 686, and they're both about the same age. If you really want something strong, get a Contender. If you don't mind a single-action, Freedom Arms (expensive) or a Blackhawk.

For all around use? a GP100 would probably do anything you ask of it.
    Last edited by bhn22; 09-18-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Okay so let me ask this, is the gp100 stronger than the blackhawk?And single vs double action is no concern.

Jason