Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Model 71 sights

Boolit Mold

Model 71 sights

Were the model 71 Winchesters factory drilled and tapped on the side for receiver sights like I see on many of them for sale? I know some came with apertures on the bolt and some have a regular sight on the barrel. There are a couple for sale on gunsamerica.com and they have the receiver sight mounted. I would rather have the bolt peep and not have one that has been altered. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I like my 71 with the bolt peep much better than the one with the Lyman. I tend to get better overall groups with the bolt peep. It is a "finer" sight. While the lyman is more common, the bolt peep costs a lot more.

Beau
    At one with the gun.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Talking

I have a Winchester M71 Standard Rifle with iron sights on the barrel. It has a 4 digit serial # and a search in the serial # listings in "The Legacy of Leverguns" indicates it was made in 1936. This rifle is not factory D&T'd for receiver sites on the side of the receiver. According to what I have been told a number of the early M71's were not factory D&T'd for receiver sights (Lyman, Williams, etc.) during the first 2 years of production.

If you are considering a purchase of one of the guns with an after market receiver site you should probably verify that the rifle or carbine has a 5 digit serial number to ensure that it has been un-altered.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I am a very long way from affording one but you have to start somewhere.

Banned

I believe Dave Clements is making an exact replica of the bolt mounted peep.

My understanding is that in the early years - the M-71's were not D&T for receiver sights. However when production restarted in 1946 (following WWII) they were.

Info above per G. Maddis Winchester Handbook.

Best regards-

Sky C.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all who replied.