RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: #2 Babbitt

#2 Babbitt

Anybody ever used #2 babbitt for the tin content?

Boolit Master

YES!

I use it routinely at 5% of my alloy combining it with a 50/50 mix of WW/pure lead.
    It makes a tough alloy that doesn't fracture easily. I use the mix both water dropped and air cooled for different applications.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy

#2 babbitt

Yes. I got my hands on several bars of tin-based Babbitt years ago. I use it sparingly to sweeten alloy to get better fill-out. Used too much when I first started, and caused some leading, as too much tin is as bad as not enough.

Good Cheer, I just lucked into a bit of #4 recently and everyone told me it works great. On another note, are you having any luck finding WW in yer neck of the woods? The guy I used to get them from in Liberty said he is selling them to someone now, and none of the places in Dayton will give em up. I don't run across many casters from around here so when I do I tend to try and pick their brains for things I have overlooked.

Armorer

Boolit Buddy
    scrap #4 babbit is avaiable from my work, I have used it to some extent mixed with pure pb, however I still needed to add some tin after watering down the high sb content

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    Good Cheer, I just lucked into a bit of #4 recently and everyone told me it works great. On another note, are you having any luck finding WW in yer neck of the woods? The guy I used to get them from in Liberty said he is selling them to someone now, and none of the places in Dayton will give em up. I don't run across many casters from around here so when I do I tend to try and pick their brains for things I have overlooked.

Armorer
    Hey there Armorer.
    Last batch I got was out of Beaumont.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Last batch I got was out of Beaumont.
    Ah well, I don't get that far East as much as I used to. I'll keep lookin though. Thanks.