Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: red dot for kids

red dot for kids

I am currently out of trail boss and am going to use red dot in my 44 mag 5.5" sbh
    was wondering if anyone had a good guesstimate as to vel.? I'm thinking around 750fps for 250grn 429421 @ 6grn reddot. just wunderin
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Master

If I am remembering correctly when I tried a light load of red dot 6 or 7 grs in my 44 mag 20 years ago I shot less than ten of them and pulled the rest. The reason for this was it was acting like it was position sensitive. I didn't see any evidence of dangerous pressures or any pressure for that matter, but when I get different recoils depending on if I just shook all the powder to the back, front or just let it settle where it may after firing a round in the cylinder, I got a bit leery of it. I don't think it was dangerous in any way and it could have just been my imagination. I would give it a try, I think you are about right on the velocity. It should be a low recoil round. Give it a try.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    I like 5 gr Bullseye for a mouse load. Very accurate and absolutely no recoil. Women love to shoot the big 44 magnum with these, then tell their friends that they have no fear of the famous big gun. LOL

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I agree on Bullseye for low velocity ammo . I used to use the model twenty-nine for bullseye compitition . Most of the time I used a wadcutter with five to five point four grains of Bullseye . From time to time I'd use five point five or six grains of Bullseye with the RCBS two hundred forty grain semi-wadcutter .

Both loads were pretty tame from a six inch "N" frame , I can imagine a Blackhawk would be pretty easy to use as well .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    I use red dot alot in 45 colt 6.5 gr.to be exact
    I don't know why it wouldn't work in the 44 mag
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    6.5g Red Dot behind a 429421 gave me 1011fps with an SD of 10, outta 4" 629-4 Mountain Gun.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    6.0 grs. of Red Dot with a 240 gr. SWC out of my 44 old model SBH shoots 1" @ 25 yards with a 2X Leupold. Velocity is no where near 1000 fps. Maybe 650 -700 fps.