Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you cast today?

After spending months finding a little time here and there framing my room and getting organized I was able to cast my first boolits in over a year.

2.400 Lee TC 230g .452 from a 6 cavity mould. It took a while to get into a rythym but went well after that. The same boolits as in the album photo. This was a guestimate based on over 80lbs. of WW ingots.

Can't wait to get my 459122 from the group buy to load for my Contender.

My math might be a little skewed. Is it 7k grains/lb or 4k/lb?
    Last edited by Fixxah; 11-25-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

It was real nice today. Rained. So instead of going to the range I turned on the pot, heated up my 180 grain LBT mould and sat down for an hour and produced just over 1000 bullets.

I'll take my time and lube them later in the week. I now have 2000 that need to be lubed.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Master
    used 323470 ,cast only 50,just to try it out, (I LIKE IT ).
    then finished off the session with 457124 ,,,good day was had by me .

Recently bought a 2 cavity Lyman 452374 from eBay. I had my fingers crossed that it would cast decent boolits (after hearing a good number of stories about undersized boolits), and it was my lucky day! The mold drops .453" boolits at 230gr with my alloy of wheel weights plus 2%ish tin for fill-out.

Cast about 300 boolits, and I plan on doing more tomorrow. I might also break out the Mihec H&G 68 tomorrow too. You can never have enough 200gr SWC's for 45 ACP.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Cast some 850gr boolits for a guy to try in his 50-70. The 5 pounds of alloy he sent for me to re-form into something usable, didn't go far. 40 boolits from 5 pounds.!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Cast some 850gr boolits for a guy to try in his 50-70. The 5 pounds of alloy he sent for me to re-form into something usable, didn't go far. 40 boolits from 5 pounds.!!
    Wow! Now those are some BOOLITS!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Well we casted and lubed about 2000 45 cal 200grain RNFP today. We are new to Cast Boolits and this is our first post. So hello Cast Boolits.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Do View Post
    Wow! Now those are some BOOLITS!
    Those aren't boolits, those are ingots.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DABL View Post
    Well we casted and lubed about 2000 45 cal 200grain RNFP today. We are new to Cast Boolits and this is our first post. So hello Cast Boolits.
    Hello DABL. Welcome to Cast Boolits! This is a great place to watch, learn, and lend advice to others.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

using my lee 2 cavity molds i cast 200 makarov bullets 148 308 170 gr fp bullets for my 308 and my bator 22 cal cast @ 3-400 .225 55gr bullets and my arm is tired from striking the sprue plate to cut the sprues water quenched and tested at 20 bhn from ww and added tin cast these on sunday and tested them today worked nice now to load some subsonic , and normal .223 ammo for plinking , by the way the bator .22 pours real good exellent fill out hardly any poor casts .. got it from mids0uth shooters hope i can post that , im kinda new here in this forum

Boolit Master

Hi Bob, and welcome, in case nobody did already.

You can certainly share where you get special-order moulds. It's not a commercial - It's giving a tip to fellow casters!!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Now that Deer hunting is over I can get back to a normal schedule
    Today i cast 200+ .311041 an about 500 432423's that will go with the other 3years supplie. Its just too fun casting.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Cast today

100 Lee 230g 45ACp TL. Pan lubed 100 41mag HP 210 grainers. (Emments lube) And played on the internet..................

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

About 400 358429's last night and sized/lubed them.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by DABL View Post
    Welcome and hello, this is a great place to share and to learn.

Last night I cast 350 358429's (NOE group buy mould) and another 350 this am. Hope to do more tonight.

Does it mean anything when the best Friday & Saturday nights include casting, lubing or handloading?

Boolit Master

I haven't cast anything today, but I did some casting last night.

I converted some angle iron ingots that I bought here with my Lee ingot mold. The big angle iron ingots are about 2.5 pounds and don't really fit in my pot, so I kinda lower them in with a channel locks until some melts off. That's not convenient when the alloy gets low during casting, where the small ingots slip right in. So now I'm melting down some of the big ingots in advance so there's less screwing around with ingots when I cast.

I had to test out some molds, one new to me and one that's kinda been on the back burner while I lee-mented some others.

My 358-158SWC-TL never ran that great. I think part of the problem was my own inexperience when I got it. After studying up here after my problems, I have a small fleet of Lee 2cav molds now. I took over a Lee 452-230TC mold my dad bought and never liked. I cleaned it up and lapped it, and it's one of my favorites now.

I've been water dropping the boolits from it, but I wanted to try some air-cooled so I made up about 100. I also made 50 air cooled 401-175TC's and water dropped about a hundred of them. I've got a .401 Lyman 450 die on the way, so I figured I better pour up some boolits to have cured and ready for it.

Finally I got a Lee 365-95-1R mold a little while ago. It looks pretty rough inside, like there was some tool chatter. I decided to cast some up and leave some to lap the mold with. Considering the visual appearance of the cavities, it does much better than I'd expect it to. I cast up a couple dozen boolits from it to test as I try to hone out a sizing die for the .365's.

Lots going on, and not a bad session of casting by my standards.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prgallo View Post
    Does it mean anything when the best Friday & Saturday nights include casting, lubing or handloading?
    Yep, means you're normal for around here!!

Boolit Master
    1250+ 429421s Lymans sorted in the tubs, NOEs on the bench. Looked too much like Pirate Booty not to take a snapshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boolits.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Looks good!

Don't forget to wash up after you run your fingers through 'em chanting
    "Mine, all mine! HAHAHAHAHAAA!" .

Boolit Master
    Finally got off my como si yama and broke in my new to me redding - saeco 44 cal plain base 260 gr. rnfp today that i won off ebay. all 4 cavs throw .432+ and weight variation is around +/- 1.2 gr. Acceptable for me. Now if I can just make that plate screw stay......
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.