WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you cast today?

Just spent an hour in the garage and casted up about 500 rounds from my LBT 180 grain mould. A friend saw my bullets last week and told me to make my pot hotter so I increased the temp 50 degrees.

I also let the mould sit in the pot for 30 minutes as it heated up. I had no rejects. Previously I'd have to throw back the first mould or two.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Nuttin

Boolit Master
    Me too, nuttin'.

But I did make a burner for my melt pot project:
    http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...oad/burner.jpg
    Think I made the holes too big (1/8") but when it warms up they make a nice blue flame,
    plus a lot of yellow flame above that.
    Think I need more holes, will make 'em 1/16" maybe.
    Trying to decide how to regulate the air mixture, if I hold the jet about 3/8" from the end of the tube
    it burns a lot better. Maybe drill holes and make a slider out of alum. can to cover 'em.

Also heat-cycled my 2 new NOE molds, 429421 and 358429.
    Can't wait, also have a Hoch 335gn 44 WFN mold, got it years ago, still virgin.

And worked on the car.

Boolit Bub
    Spent the morning casting 535 grain Postells. Ran out of lead, but I ended up with 450 boolits.

Boolit Man
    Casted about 1400pcs Saeco #377 boolits from my 5cav mould with 1/3 lino/stickon lead mix.
    Nothing beats starting with a N.O.S. mould, just clean it, pre-heat it on top of lead pot and start pouring perfect boolits over and over again.

59stude

Boolit Master

Worked today. No casting.

Boolit Master
    Running low on alloy, been casting everyday the weather permits the last two weeks. Today 400+ Lee 240 gr 44 SWC's. I need to get stocked before the snow falls as my set-up is in an unheated garage. Carpal tunnel is rearing it's ugly head too.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Today, I cast my fly rod, a 0 weight 7 foot Orvis that casts like a dream. No frost, its 94 degrees. Does cause ripples on the surface.

A few days ago 300+ 411 Steve Brooks Postells came out of the hot garage for the 40-65. A problem mould until it was polished and the sprue plate was relocated to the center of the base. Took a while but it now drops excellent boolits. I just can't shoot them ever - since the wife got ahold of the 40-65. Oh well, at least she enjoys the shooting and helps with the reloading.
    The Dude abides.

Finished this season's smelting. 300 more pounds of X-ray shielding. All total in the last two weeks we have smelted over 1000 pounds. Got to introduce a 25 yr. old to smelting, he thought it was really interesting. Had three young people over to shoot pistols and rifles and eat BBQ. Fired over 400 rounds, they said they had a blast.
    Glad to have the smelting done, now time for more bullet castings.
    jmsj

Boolit Master

First cast this season - still too hot!

I was bored this afternoon and decided to do some casting. Temperatures are not yet below 80* here so it was hot work. I do appreciate my melting pot and PID though. I cast 43lbs of 356-120-TC using a modified Lee 6-banger. This mold drops the boolits at .358 and I lube-size them to .357 in my Star. My CZ's thrive on this boolit.

Here is a pic of the yield.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9mm.jpg  

Nothing, I had to clear my casting bench, which is at the end of a work table, to sand and refinish wood trim for the bedroom.

I am going to build a permanent casting setup with storage below the pot, and a place for the hotplate to warm up molds. I have a bunch of wheeled carts that were used for bread deliveries. It is a base that is about 22x22 and the bread trays stack on top. It will also roll out of the way when you want to sweep the garage floor. I have just been waiting for it to cool off here to start another garage project.

I also have a gung-ho friend who I am going to teach to smelt, now that the weather has broken a little. He says he wants to learn to do it all. What better place to start than smelting WWs and lead flashing?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Wallenba: I heard of a stretch for CTS, don't know if it's legitimate.
    Make a fist, squeeze and hold, release. I don't want to know if I have it, sometimes lots of typing hurts but it seems to be up a ways from my wrist.

Now I will sit back and wait for all the recommendations to stop typing so much!

My wife had me pick up a table frame (I guess) from a friend's house, trash men wouldn't take it.
    Top is maybe 2½ x 4 feet, all 1½" square tubing, 8 legs, tabs with bolt holes at bottoms of legs (???).
    Pretty strong, I figure to reinforce it and stick a non-flammable top on it,
    leave one corner open for a grill and burner to put the pot on.

Or take it to the scrapyard, we'll see.

Boolit Master

Yesterday weather cooled off considerably, rain storm. Temps dropped from low 90's saturday to upper 60's. Had to cast, .22 bator's, 358 keepers. That small mold seems to have more rejects than the larger boolits I cast. Perhaps some .30's this evening.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cast two weeks ago.

Lyman 314299 and Lee .452 TLSWC. About 600 pieces of each.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold

Yep - Temp today is *1/2* what it was a week ago, so the Magma machine is heating, as is the Lee bottom pour. I'll be dipping for the SAECO 265-F91 4-banger to make .45 ACP and button pushing for whatever else I'm getting a bit low on, prolly 9mm and .30 pistol. I think I have enough heavy stuff for now. Well, since it's melted, may be just a few hundred .44 for the carbine and, since Mama shot up a bunch of .357 this weekend, ...

Shucks, might as well cast till the ol' bod decides it's o-beer-thirty!

Boolit Buddy
    I did nothing but clean and degrease moulds most of the day....Seems I'd get a good looking boolit ,then the next one had monkey faces and wrinkles..
    Lee moulds that I usually don't have trouble with , but today was not a real good day for boolit production.
    Alloy was a concoction of mostly junk, and the boolits came out harder than little puppies nuts, I couldn't scratch em no way. So I added some sheet lead ingots, still hard as a rock.
    I just poured some .44 caliber REAL bullets and used up most of the pot full and threw in more sheet lead, the batch seems to be a little softer now and still filling out the moulds, dropping out real good . Alloy temp is a little over 700*f...
    I cleaned the moulds I was using and degreased em and re=smoked the cavities, I'll try em again tomarrow..... "Papa Jack"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master
    Been playing with my new Lee 6-pot 44 cal 240gc mold and my 7/8 oz 12 ga slug mold. Got about 200 12 ga and 750 44 bullets. The Texas heat has finally come down to bearable. Now for ducks, then deer.

It's been dropping to just below freezing here but it got up to 13c today so I finally got around to casting up some 180gr. out of my new LEE 2 banger.
    I've been spoiled by my 6 banger.

12lbs of RNFP 44 200gr

Took about an hour once the lead was melted. I was cooking today.

Boolit Master

I made some of these today, testing out the new swaging die from BT Sniper:

Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast