Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you cast today?

Boolit Grand Master
    had to make a wood delivery so only had about a hour
    I cast bout 125 Mihek 45 cal saa h.p
    yesterday it was 358 boolits 240 gr (rifle accuate molds)
    day before it was 310 BRP boolits 45 cal
    tom 44 cal 300 gr hp
    then maybe some 44 cal 250 rcbs if I have time

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Ingots to fill orders! Did go down to the back of the property and check out the lane for the new Long range range.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Man

Ahhh Come on ya'll, it's not that hot in the shade. We were only in the mid 90's today... I cast 3 - 4 hundred 40 cal SWC this evening after work... Probably try to do this every evening until I have a couple thousand and then switch to 9mm for a while. We don't stop playing at the range just because the south Texas sun is hot enough to fry an egg. Gotta feed the habit.
    When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by awaveritt View Post
    I'm with LWKnight regarding the hot Texas weather. . . so I'll just cast my fly rod until Fall hits Texas.
    LOL! Make that three. I was loading stuff today and doing some ballistics, but when I took the chrony outside and, a bit later climbed up on the roof to clean rain gutters, the 88F mercury and 88% humidty convinced me that if I wanted to cast a new supply of anything, it would be a heavy air-conditioning bill this month in SE Texas.

Once it gets down in the high 60's, it will be .30, .38, .44, and .45 pellets by the thousands (yes, literally) until my arms fall off or I run out of mountain of lead salvaged from a torn-down hospital X-ray room. Weights will run from 95 gr. to about 250 and alloys will go from Lyman #2 to Linotype to HB + Silver. (Thanks also to Rotometals, Bill Ferguson, and a few others.)

I'm looking forward to it, but it will be at least a month yet.

FedEx just delivered a package from Graf's yesterday. I just got a new Lee 38 105 gr swc 2 cavity mold. I cant wait to try it out, the plan is to load some light plinking round for my .38 as well as making affordable ammo for my Ruger LCP.

Casted 300 or so 9mm round nose rounds. I must be doing something wrong tho, I only threw a dozen or so back, including the ones to warm up the mold.

Boolit Master

Got a tactical match Saturday morning, got 45's to feed, will be casting 200gr Mihec round HP's tonight.

Banned
    Today it was 2100 Lee 175gr 40cal.

Boolit Master

I LOVE some of the responses here! This is just a fun thread with the underlying instigation of getting myself (and possibly some others) motivated to do a little casting again, now that nicer weather is approaching. (Sorry 'bout you southern boys... - Yep, I'm a Yankee, so nice casting weather is already here for me!! )

I also like the aspect of now that the website has so many members, it's fun to see how many people are casting on any particular day who are members of this board. Fun to see what they're casting too.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    I cast up some of these:

.454 297 grain double crimp groove FN
    Last edited by RobS; 09-16-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added pic

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    I casted up some of these:

.454 297 grain double crimp groove FN
    Them's some fine lookin' projo's!
    I may have to bite the bullock (well, some Chap Jae, anyway) and get the Master Caster out of the Cosmoline and run a few hours in spite of the heat!

RobS,
    Those look great !! What mold is that?
    Just got back from the shop, getting the smelting gear out.
    If I can get the wife's Explorer back together and take my son out to sell popcorn for cub scouts in a timely manner, I'll start smelting this weekend. jmsj

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    Did about 400 of Lee's 310g .44 Mag GC last nite. I'm in South Texas and it was still hotter than blue blazes... Only 2 more monthes of summer left!
    Tell me about it, I studied engineering there for two years before transferring to Denton (UNT) where the weather was a little cooler and there were fewer hurricanes! We used to say that there were two seasons in Kinsville: The HOT season and the WET season. Anybody who can survive a Summer in that pocket o'misery is a tough sonovobeech!

PS the last thing I cast was actually today, but at 1:00am, I smelted a bunch of lead and alloyed some fresh boolit metal. The only time to do it without having a heat stroke is in the middle of the night.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsj View Post
    RobS,
    Those look great !! What mold is that?
    jmsj
    It is a Lee GB mold which started here on the forum back in 2007 and finished production in 2008. I just picked it up practically brand new from a forum member and it has proven to be a very good bullet in both the lever action and in the Ruger SRH. The bullet has about a .3415 meplat on it; big enough to do substantial damage and yet fly very well at longer ranges. It is sort of like Veral Smiths LBT LFN design except with a straighter ogive (less curvature), a touch larger meplat and of course the dual crimp grooves. I have been playing around with 45 cal molds for quite a while and I think this one will be my go to bullet.

RobS,
    Thanks for the reply. I really like the looks of that bullet, was hoping it was a current production mold. Good luck w/ the load development.
    Here is a picture of today's melt, last time I smelted was back in April. This is 310 pounds of wheel weights.

Five buckets of WW into muffin molds.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

Banned

Tis the season for ingots, smelted one of Sam's cores down into one-pounders. One day I might cast some more boolits!

Gear

It's been a hot summer so I put off casting for a few months. Today I decided to put the pot on after coming home from the range. I casted up 234 rounds from my LBT 180 grain .358 mould. Water quenched them. Casted from Wheel Weights.

Dried the bullets off and ran them through my Star sizer at .358. No sizing needed, just needed to put the LBT light Blue lube on the boolits.

Some time tomorrow I'll load them up with 4.0 grains of Solo 1000. This bullet will shoot 1 inch groups from my Smith 627 when I mount a scope on it. I get 1 1/2 to 2 inches on my 686 from the bench without the scope.

All I want is hand held groups of 2 - 2 1/2 inch at 15 yards for the type of shooting I do that's 1/2 the X zone.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Master

Yesterday I did some MiHecs 434640 Round HP, and I had modified one of the pent pins to make a smaller diameter and shorter pin, and smoothed up the bottom to clear up a ridge on the flat points . . . so I cast some of them too!

I also cast some more of MiHec's H&G #68 . . .

Not too hot . . . actually pleasant in the morning in the shade of my carport in the low 70's, warmed up to the mid 90's in the afternoon when I went out to shoot them! But it is a dry heat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PnriGeGnb4
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Yesterday was the Lee 30-170 flat point for case forming loads and the Lyman 452484 hard ball profile GC design. Used wheel weights with a touch of #2 babbitt and the collected pot skim from from melting down scrap lead. Somehow ended up about 4% lighter than wheel weights.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast