Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 55 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you cast today?

Boolit Master

What did you cast today?

Well, it's that time of year again - CASTING SEASON!!

Temperatures are moderate, humidity low, kids are out from under-foot back in school, and I have some "alone time" with my moulds and casting pot...

So, today, partially because I'm running low on 44 boolits, and partially because I haven't made any lead boolits with a mould I got a year or so ago, I poured some 225gr RNFPs from a Group Buy mould run by CATSHOOTER.

I ran a heavy Keith GB at the same time, so when the moulds came in, I casted a lot of the Keiths (to make sure everyone would be happy with the moulds in my buy), and Catshooter's mould sat on the shelf, somewhat neglected... Well, that's been rectified. Turned on the pot at 8:30, went to do some chores, came back at 9:00, and started running it. Now, once I got the hot glue and PAM residue burnt out of the cavities (from some hot glue boolits I made for some dummy rounds for our Hunter-Safety Class), that thing was spitting out 6 perfect boolits a throw! Seemed like a rare cast when they all didn't come out perfect... By 10:30 I had 500 good boolits and shut her down. I wish all my Lee moulds were so compliant. As you can see it took no time to get a good quantity cast up.

Came home and checked them. Out of the 10 sample boolits, 7 of them weighed exactly 226.1grs. That's not an average, that's 10 boolits weighed individually, and seven of them were dead-nuts on that number. Not bad! Wish I could get that kind of consistency when casting with my rifle moulds!!!

Well, now I've got some 44 Special cases to clean and prep for loading with these "new" boolits.

SO, what did you cast today (or this weekend, or this week)??
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

I cast a jealous eye towards you...

My gear is packed, six states away and I won't be casting until sometime in January, so just keep rubbing it in!

Bruce

P.S. Awesome work on the consistency part.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

It's still morning. A little later I'll pour ~ 25# of 454424s.

Boolit Master
    Its just now getting shooting season for me. Its been so hot that the range sessions were short. I'd say that the next couple months are smelting weather and I save the big time casting for December
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I'm with LWKnight regarding the hot Texas weather. . . so I'll just cast my fly rod until Fall hits Texas.
    Ain't that Hatchet Jack's rifle?
    Yep. Found him froze to a tree.
    Damn! He was a wild one, old Hatchet Jack. He was livin' two year in a cave up on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.

Did about 400 of Lee's 310g .44 Mag GC last nite. I'm in South Texas and it was still hotter than blue blazes... Only 2 more monthes of summer left!

Boolit Master
    Nahh, I figured since it was probably 156 degrees out in the garage I'd wait a while before I do any casting.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been putting it off because of the heat but I couldnt take it any longer, I have a new 45 70 and cast up 150 20-1 bullits and 100 ww to see what it will like. up in till now Ive mostly cast pistol boolits, Ill say that this 405 gr mold eats up lead! 10lbs only netted me 150 boolits. DR

About 100 each of 9mm R and .357 FN a couple days ago. Planning on pumping out another load of 9mm tonight tho.

The brown truck brought my Lyman 457193 mould Monday and I casted up about 200 yesteday. I am heading out to the man room in a few to lube them up. Nice and cool here..77 degrees and the trees are starting to change.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Bub
    I'd still have to get up at 6am to cast here, but only for a few more weeks. Then it'll be casting time for sure.

On the docket will be breaking in several new Lee moulds:

- 9mm 147 gr
    - .40 174 gr

Both six-bangers. Can't wait!

Boolit Buddy
    Cast lee 300 452 sized to 450, and 50 cal R.E.A.L. for my new ML all out of lead pipe. gettin ready for ML deer season.

Boolit Master
    Not today but last evening I cast up some 44 from Miha's latest mold, the GC version. Finaly found the sweet spot for it. I gotta say it's just amazing how these Cramer style molds drop good boolits so easily, almost like you are getting something for free.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

10 lbs. of 125 gr HP Monday evening. I could cast all day if I didn't have other priorities or maybe I should change my priorities.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

Been awhile since I seen a thread with your name on it, thought I'd click on it, and here you are calling me names!

Glad that mould is working out for you.

Still too hot here to cast, dangit. Looking forward to though, got a bunch o' moulds I haven't used yet, it's a crime.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

I cast a few 45 cal REALs yesterday.
    Aim small, miss small!

you must be way up north, won't be cool here for another month

Boolit Master
    No boolits, but got my propane tank filled and am going to start smelting in the morning. Gonna be in the low 60's.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

What did you cast today?
    That makes it sound like we're supposed to cast EVERY DAY?

While that's not a bad thing, I'd hate to pay the powder bill!

I need to fire up the smelter to render some Linotype into usable ingots. Other than that no special projects that I need to fire up the pot for. OOPS, I forgot that new 358156 mold, I need to see if another 2% tin will make them actually drop at .358 instead of barely .357.

Banned
    Yesterday I cast right at 1000 lee 102gr (cast wgt 104gr) and 850 Lee 38 Super (not sold any longer) 150gr (155 cast wgt) boolits. This in addition to 1300 of the 102s and 1000 of the 150s monday. On vacation this week. Smelted 300 lbs of wgts and got 248 alloy ingots. Happiness is buckets full of ingots.

Page 1 of 55 123456789101151 ... LastLast