Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Bullet Size??

Boolit Mold

Bullet Size??

Hello all my new BP friends!.

I´m from Sweden and just bougt me 2 Uberti 1875 Outlaw cal.45 revolvers...

I wondering what type of size of the bullets I gonna have too this revolvers. My barrel size is .0450 when I slug it, and the cylinder chambers is .0454 in size...what type of bulletsize must I use too recive som fine accuarcy????...

My own loads are made of this...

-Cal.45 Magtech shells.
    -Wano PP Black-Powder (4 x .7cc Lee dippers).
    -Compressing and 1 Walter Wads (size .464 x .060).
    -250grain Lead Roundnose Bullet.
    -AOL=1.600"

I love when stuff BUCKS and ROUAR on the range...why shooting Smokeless when you can fire BLACK-POWDER!!!

Hope you can read and understand my english!!!!.

Have a nice day and best regards!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I would try the 454 bullet size and see what you have for accuracy. You don't need a wad for a normal 45 Colt BP load. Take a wooden dowel and lay it beside your bullet. Place the bottom end of 1/4 dowel even with bottom of base of bullet. Where the dowel is even with the crimp groove make a mark with a Marks a lot. Fill the case with 2F until when you set the dowel on top you can see the mark above the rim of case. This will be the correct amount of powder also. I have fired thousands of 45Colt BP rounds while in SASS. You also have to have a good bullet lube for this to work well. If you can get it where you live buy some Mobil 1 syenthic grease in a tube or can. After shooting put this on your cylinder bushings and base pins. The guns will shoot without stopping and the cylinders will not bind.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold
    Hello Cajun Shooter!

Thanks for your answer and I think I´m gonna test the .454 bullet for a while. my last bullet was size .452 and weight 230grains and when I fired those the impact was low and too the left on my target. I fired the guns dead on the center of the target in 25meters.

And my primers are CCI large pistol magnum. I have notice a little more nice accuracy when i use this primers instead of the CCI large pistol primers...I test firing from a sandbag.

Then I made my own bullet lube of 40/40/20 beewax/cocosgrease/candlelights...I have none leading in my barrels and I can fired more than 25-30 rounds with that lube before the guns started too bee too hot in my hands...

Do you have any experience of shooting the "Gallery loads"...Small amount of black powder and one lead RB in size .454...

I like too try that like this...

-45 magtech shells.
    -CCI LP primers.
    -24grains of Wano PP or FFG black powder.
    -1 wad over the powder.
    -fill the space with lube.
    -1 wad over the lube.
    -On top one .454 RB bullet.

Or is it better too do this...

I fill the shells with powder, then put the RB on to that powder. fill the emty space with lube and then a wad on top off that.

Are there anyone out there who have any ideas of my plans...

If you are going classic with the 45 Colt, they used 250 grain lead bullets. Check through ads for "cowboy" shooters. Most modern Colts are designed to use 451-452 bullets. The 454 bore was a hangover from Cap and Ball tooling. Colt switched their revolvers in the early 1900's to take a tighter bullet. If you get a 450 slug use a 452 bullet, although the 454 may work. It may shoot a little off due to gallery loading. The original load with balloon head cases was 40 grains. Some get 35 with our modern cases. Fixed sights can be a bit fussy on load. My Uberti shoots 452 bullets just fine. Does not hurt but you are using plenty of lube. Make sure its BP lube.

Northmn