Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Die selection?

Die selection?

So far, most of the advice I have been given is that you should anneal the case mouths, full length size only the first time then neck size after, and there is a lot of different opinions on crimping which I can understand. My question is on dies.

#1. What is the big hype on the lyman M die?

#2. Is there any benefit to the Lyman black powder crimp die?

#3. Is there such as a thing as a neck size only die for straight wall cases?

Suggestions?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Talking

The Lyman M -die is used to expand the inside diameter of the case to allow a consistent grip on the bullet and the top diameter is to give a slight flair for the base of the bullet to enter with out shaving lead. For a single shot rifle a crimp is not necessary and too much of a crimp can shave the bullet when it is fired.

Boolit Master
    Redding manufactures neck sizing dies for a few straight wall cases. I have one for the 45-70 that I bought out of curiosity. You can check the tables at Redding's web site. I think there a few others.

I have never used the Lyman crimp die.
    The Lyman M die has a small step that keeps the case mouth for cutting the bullet base.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    #2. Is there any benefit to the Lyman black powder crimp die?

#3. Is there such as a thing as a neck size only die for straight wall cases?
    -2- If you use a Lyman M die to 'flair' the case mouth for bullet insertion, the case may not chamber easily. The mouth may 'wedge' in the chamber before it is fully seated. In that case, the "Lyman Black Powder TAPER Crimp Die" can be used to squeeze that mouth down to touch the bullet.
    Most don't use it to tighten the case's grip on the bullet.

-3- Yes, there are neck (only) sizing dies. Some size the neck only a certain amount using bushings to get just the right diameter, others size it to a standard minimum diameter.

With the first, the desired 'neck tension' is established during the sizing operation.
    With the second, you then need to expand it (in an additional step) to hold the bullet with the right tension.

If you shoot unsized cases that are at 'as fired' dimensions, it's possible to size the bullet to obtain the correct neck tension...or use no neck tension, at all.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.