WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $80 per pail for ww?

Boolit Mold

$80 per pail for ww?

I went to a couple of tire shops today and they told me the going rate is $75 to $80 per 5 gal pail !! I thought $50 was bad , I just said no thanks , I will do without at that price , actually for the amount of work involved in sorting out the junk and cleaning up the mess I don't think it is worth it if I have to buy them

Boolit Master
    It would be cheaper to just buy lead at $1.20 per pound. You don't get much goodie out of random wws these days.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned

I paid $80 for the last 5 gal. bucket of WW I got, and it yielded 130# of useable alloy. I was mad to have to pay that much, but it seems it is a sign of the times.

We had better stock up on boolit metal of all kinds, wherever we can get it and primers as well. We could always make black powder if we had to.

Boolit Grand Master
    check out some of the lead dealers on this site good quality lead and better prices to boot

Last batch of WW I picked up totaled 82#. After smelting and making ingots I only had 46# of lead. I did not have to pay for them so it is still worth it, but I am now culling out alot more steel and zinc. Last year at this time I probably would have averaged close to 60 lbs. Luckily I have 2-55 gallon drums from last year and the year before I am sitting on. Currently I am smelting just what I bring home on a weekly basis and saving the drums for later if needed.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Master

Personally I wold just smelt those drums and get it over with. They will just get rustier and they take up lots less room as ingots. Plus you never know, you might lose your ability to smelt in the future, like you might move, or you get older and just can't, or you get a nosey neighbor who will complain. Ingots are most always better then raw scrap.

Boolit Master
    Yes , nice clean pretty ingots are better than nasty old WWs in a rusty barrel.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

No Way!

I'm getting about a 1/3-1/4 bucket a week from my local tire store, I give them $5 bucks per stop and a dozen doughnuts every month, just to keep 'em glad to see me. That works out to about $30 a bucket.
    Turning money into noise, since 1970

Banned
    Did three buckets ($20 apiece) yesterday. Took three hours. Resulted in 248 lbs of corncob style ingots and 52 lbs of dross. Not bad.

Boolit Master
    at $80 a bucket:

A bucket is about 150 lbs, give or take.

If you only lose a third to zinc , iron, clips, and junk that would be 100 lbs of usable lead.

that's .80 / lb IF you don't count propane , tools , equipment, and your time.

No thanks, there's plenty here in the swappin and selling section for $1 / lb or sometimes less, and that's ingots, shipped to your door.

I now some day this may no longer be true, but I don't think paying too much now will help that.
    Last edited by lylejb; 09-15-2010 at 12:14 AM.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    I also smelted yesterday. Two 5gal buckets, after sorting, left 150lbs of ingot. It was about a 65% yeild.

Got 'em for free. Very nice.

That oughtta keep me shootin for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I paid $80 for the last 5 gal. bucket of WW I got, and it yielded 130# of useable alloy. I was mad to have to pay that much, but it seems it is a sign of the times.

We had better stock up on boolit metal of all kinds, wherever we can get it and primers as well. We could always make black powder if we had to.
    If you can actually gaurantee that, I would pay the $80. The last bucket I got out here was 35% non useable steel or zinc or other non lead weight.
    Last edited by fredj338; 09-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

man that sucks the big one if i pay that much for wws i think i go crazy
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub
    I'm in the same position as AlbertaPete. The only thing that has saved me from buying ingots is the Range Officer I met a couple months ago. He's givng 10 buckets for free. He's not active casting and at his age, probably won't start up again. You guys still getting wheel weights @ $20 a bucket or so, count your blessings and stock up.

Banned

WOW $80 that borders on rape. I was getting mine for $25 in virginia but i didnt get but one bucket before i moved and it wasn't full. I may just have to start buying mine from the S&S section here.

Andy

Boolit Master
    i just had 3 buckets given to me. got to go pick them up.

Boolit Mold
    good news< I talked to my neighbor yesterday and he works at one of the car dealers in town . He said he takes wheel weights off every day and would save them for me

Quote Originally Posted by Albertapete View Post
    good news< I talked to my neighbor yesterday and he works at one of the car dealers in town . He said he takes wheel weights off every day and would save them for me
    Buy that man lunch or diner. Those sources are the ones you want to keep on your good side.

Dam 80 buckssSSSSSS. I was whinning about 30.00 . I guess I better stop crying .Got lucky last week the RV shop I do door work for sold me a heaping bucket for 30. 00 100 % ww no trash HAPPY DANCE

hmm I guess i shuld go to my local scrap yard an get all the soft lead and WW i can get for 50 cents a pound huh

Group buy Anybody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast