Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long rifle build

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    You know that makes me wonder now that if a guy had a spare Marlin 94 in 357 cal , and made a wildcat 357 necked down to 32 cal and a barrel lined for it ... oh man must resist , must resist !.
    Why not just go with the 32-20 so you can get brass or loaded ammo?

Molly, I was just getting ready to ask how the little rifle was doing. Glad you found the problem, I would still be scratching my head.
    I have two more in the works just like yours. Still have not got around to doing my own.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

Molly, I was just getting ready to ask how the little rifle was doing. Glad you found the problem, I would still be scratching my head.
    I have two more in the works just like yours. Still have not got around to doing my own.
    Does the rim of the 32/20 have the like dimensions to be useable in a 94 Marlin in 357 cal ?. Only 32/20 I ever had was a wheelgun some decades ago.

Boolit Master

Does the rim of the 32/20 have the like dimensions to be useable in a 94 Marlin in 357 cal ?. Only 32/20 I ever had was a wheelgun some decades ago.
    It was a standard chamber in the old 94s along with 25-20, 38-40 and 44-40. If you already have a 357 then the bolt will not work unless it is worked over some.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    You know that makes me wonder now that if a guy had a spare Marlin 94 in 357 cal , and made a wildcat 357 necked down to 32 cal and a barrel lined for it ... oh man must resist , must resist !.
    Why not pick up a lever 30-30 and just put squib loads through it for squirrel? It'd be a lot easier and cheaper, and works just fine.

The justification for the SS rifle (besides the fact that I simply wanted it) was that it would be a companion piece for several 32 revolvers I have. They run the gamut from .32 S&W to .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag. My rifle will work with all of them, and I'm struggling hard not to buy a .327 Mag.

Off topic, but if you want to have some real fun with the .32 S&W, try loading a mess of ammo with about 1/2 to 3/4 grain of HP38 and a 00 buckshot for the grandkids to play with. Seat the buckshot flush with the mouth of the case, and lube by rubbing some grease in the small recess this creates. VERY low noise, NO recoil and surprisingly good accuracy. It's an absolute ball for tin cans! And a 38 S&W loaded the same way with 1.0g HP38 and a 000 buckshot is just as much fun.

(Remember that men are not rational creatures. We are rational-ising critters. We can think of a reason for anything we want to have or do!) (BG)
    Last edited by Molly; 05-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Hi John,

John, I've had 32-20's, and they're OK, but the brass is really thin and easily damaged. And a 32-20 rifle just calls for one more set of dies and cases. And of course, I'd have to pick up another 32-20 revolver ... The 32 H&R will do the same job, and a bit easier, and I can use the same ammo on both rifle and my current pistols.

Molly, I was just getting ready to ask how the little rifle was doing. Glad you found the problem, I would still be scratching my head. I have two more in the works just like yours.

It sure came close to driving me nuts too! If I could suggest, you might want to make a screw-on forearm alteration a standard if you do any more like mine.

Still have not got around to doing my own.

Quote: "The auto mechanic nearly always drives a clunker because he's too busy fixing customer cars to fix his own." (BG)
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Yup, I know the feeling- just bought ANOTHER Marlin 94 in 357mag, as well as ANOTHER Rossi M92 in 357mag, for some reason or other- nice to have extras in the gun room for some reason, right? They go in there with the EXTRA Martini Cadets, just keeping them for some reason or other- Looking at all those fine little rifles makes me want to make something special, like my Westley Richards Martini Cadet bored out to 357mag- what a fine little beasty she is! 6 coastal blacktail deer have met their fate, as well as countless small game. Why do I do this, when I have a fine little Model 53 Browning in 32WCF with a Lyman receiver sight that puts groundsquirrels to sleep (very deep sleep) inside 100 yards?

Small game rifles are a wonderful thing, easy to carry, easy on the ears when shot, easy on the wallet when loading, just easy to be around. Try packing a heavy rifle on a leisurely walk in the woods some time- no fun at all. You'll end up sitting under a tree waiting for the game to show itself. Far more fun to listen for game moving, stalk within "can't miss" range, and take home the prize. Sure, you'll miss some, but man, you're having FUN.
    Makes me wish I was young again, those little rifles do---

Yup, I know the feeling-

Chuck
    358wcf

Quote Originally Posted by 358wcf View Post
    ... Small game rifles are a wonderful thing, easy to carry, easy on the ears when shot, easy on the wallet when loading, just easy to be around. Try packing a heavy rifle on a leisurely walk in the woods some time- no fun at all. You'll end up sitting under a tree waiting for the game to show itself. Far more fun to listen for game moving, stalk within "can't miss" range, and take home the prize. Sure, you'll miss some, but man, you're having FUN. Makes me wish I was young again, those little rifles do---
    Yup, I know the feeling-
    Chuck
    358wcf
    Part of my own education as a young man came when I fell in love with a heavy barreled 45-70 rolling block. It weighed more than 18 pounds, but was a ball at the rifle range. So I took it deer hunting. ONCE! I was almost ready to leave it in the woods by the time I managed to pack it back out! (BG) I wuz dumb 'nough to try it, but I wuzn't stupid enough to do it agin! Ol' Ben Franklin once observed that "Experience keeps a dear (expensive) school, but fools will learn in no other." That observation has come to my mind on an uncomfortable number of poignant occasions!
    Regards,

Molly

I would absolutely LOVE a SS in 32H&R, even 327Mag....

I wonder if one could get this conversion in Canada for under $1000....

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I would absolutely LOVE a SS in 32H&R, even 327Mag....

I wonder if one could get this conversion in Canada for under $1000....
    Wish I knew enough about Canadian gun laws to advise you, but all I can suggest is that you do NOT try to get one made here and shipped to you. Border agents in Canada do not have a sense of humor or understanding when it comes to firearms.

On the other hand, there have to be plenty of 410 break-open shotguns in Canada. Why not drop in on the nearest Canadian gunsmith and discuss it with him?
    Regards,

Molly

Molly, I think that is my option...

unfortunately an expensive one... but an option.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Wish I knew enough about Canadian gun laws to advise you, but all I can suggest is that you do NOT try to get one made here and shipped to you. Border agents in Canada do not have a sense of humor or understanding when it comes to firearms.
    It's not the Canadian side that's the problem, new homeland security won't let you send any out of the country. A while back a fellow from Canada sent a Siamese Mouser for repair. He had made all the phone calls and had letters from the BATF and dept. of state that it was fine to send it for repair. I had all the copies of letters and his registration from Canada. When I sent it back to him with copies of all the letters and other papers it got seized by U.S. customs. I got a letter saying I had to appear in court for violating the home land security act. It took about 5 months to get things straitened out. Seems that if a firearm comes into the U.S. it can't leave unless you have the proper license which cost $2,500.00 a year. All that for a 90 year old rifle that was worth about $300.
    I guess they are afraid that someone will use that old Mouser in 45-70 to start a war with the U.S.

... I got a letter saying I had to appear in court for violating the home land security act. ...
    Good Lord! Is there nobody in our government that has the sense God gave a goose?
    Regards,

Molly

So how do competitive target shooters get to take their guns to a match out of country?
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    So how do competitive target shooters get to take their guns to a match out of country?
    And how about African safaris? Gotta buy your guns there I guess. Then they won't let you bring them home without an importation license.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Master

Good Lord! Is there nobody in our government that has the sense God gave a goose?
    I forgot to add that I was lucky to find someone in the gov. that walked me through all the paper work and I got a one time waver for the rifle. The owner got his rifle back, only took five months. I had to laugh at one of the questions, county of origin, I was temped to put down that it no longer existed.

Boolit Master
    When is H & R going to make a Handi-rifle in .327 Federal?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Molly , your li'l pop gun got my wheels spinnin ! I went to shop and dug around and found an ol 'Moniter' singleshot shotgun action , 12ga I believe . Pretty fair shape although nickle plated A little further rummaging and I come up with a 7.7 Jap barrel that has most of chamber cut off . Now to make a long bushing/sleeve, make a underlug and extractor . As to caliber .....32 ACP or 32 S&W ??

Just so folks know I'm not ignoring you Frank, I want to let them know we've been talking via PM.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Master

I have an old 1909 Mauser with a .312 barrel I am about to remove........Should make a nice "project" barrel.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Just so folks know I'm not ignoring you Frank, I want to let them know we've been talking via PM.
    And you have been very helpful .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast