RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long rifle build

Boolit Bub

I pushed the EASY button.

I've wanted something like this for years.
    I finally am getting a Contender barrel made, with twist & dia recommendations from C E 'Ed' Harris.
    The waiting is killing me!
    Already thinking about the next project - I have a .303 barrel from a No 4 Mk1 that I cut a releif groove around to remove for a 45 ACP project & have a small pre-war "44 shot" H&R's, but it has full-cock issues.
    My big problem is - No Time!
    Regards -
    Russ

Boolit Master
    Molly, just checked allan's armory web site. They have the romanian CUGIR single shot 22rf rifles I told you about. Hope this helps. Frank

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Molly, just checked allan's armory web site. They have the romanian CUGIR single shot 22rf rifles I told you about. Hope this helps. Frank
    Yes, I was really excited to see that, but I found a picture of the front of the CUGIR bolt. Durn thing's not too much bigger than the firing pin hole, and I don't think it has a chance at handling a .32 rim.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

.22 RF to .32 CF

How much trouble and expense would be involved in reboring, rifling, and rechambering a single shot, break-top, .22 to .32 S&W Long? Rather than lining a .410 to .32, how about going up the other way? There are a number these rifles around at relatively small expense.
    Last edited by shaggist; 09-28-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggist View Post
    How much trouble and expense would be involved in reboring, rifling, and rechambering a single shot, break-top, .22 to .32 S&W Long? Rather than lining a .410 to .32, how about going up the other way? There are a number these rifles around at relatively small expense.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet that if there's enough meat on the original barrel to do it, boring and lining would probably cheaper than reboring and rifling, but I'm still not sure it'd be practical, especially with the added expense and, or, hassle of doing the CF conversion at the same time. I could be wrong there. What I know is that I can install a liner, reboring and rifling are way beyond my equipment and capabilities.

The idea of using one of those actions isn't a bad one, that's for sure!

Hopefully Molly will be able to get this project going sometime soon, I look forward to seeing his Progress, as I'll only be able to watch such progress, and not make any of my own for a while.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Remington #6?

One is for sale right now on one of the auction boards. Its small and chambered for 32 rimfire. Don't know if you could go much above 32 S&W (short) power though.

Hi fellows,

I'm happy to report that I found a nice Savage-Stevens M94C (410) that is enroute to John Taylor for a .32 liner right now. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

Rifles for .32 CF conversion

Since Molly has found his conversion platform, I would like to share some thoughts about other possibilities. I have 2-single shot, SS, Rossi break-top rifles, that are no longer made by them. One began life as a .357 Magnum, which I had re-chambered to .357 Maximum. It is all stainless steel and handles the increased pressures with no noticeable problems yet. It is decently accurate and only weighs about 4.5 lbs.

The other is the same model in .22 RF. It, too, shoots well enough to plink aluminum cans at 75 yds.

Rossi makes a combination package, .22 RF/.410 shotgun, in SS and in blued. The shotgun barrel could be lined and rechambered for any of the .32 CF cartridges that are of interest in these conversions-.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 Colt, .32-20, .32 H&R Magnum, as these actions are strong enough for the cartridges in my opinion.

Look on Gunbroker and Auction Arms for the combo packages. They are relatively inexpensive, and would make a light, low maintenance, woods gun, that can be carried in the truck without worrying about it getting beat up. You don't have to spend alot of money, and you get a gun that incorporates modern steels in a handy, light-weight package.

Boolit Master

Molly, I have just scored a 32 rim fire Remmington rolling block over the weekend, all origonal. The barrel is fairly rough for the first 3-4 inches. Now it is desion time. Some of the guys said I had the perfect platform for a 38-55 but I like this idea of a 32. I will slug the throat and barrel. I think an oversize bullet may work after a lead lap. So many ideas. If playing with it does not work I will be looking for a reline and chamber job. One final point would it be a good idea to drill the block for center fire or try to find another block.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Reloadable .32 rimfire brass
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...imfire&x=5&y=5

I am considering these for the rolling block
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Molly, I have just scored a 32 rim fire Remmington rolling block over the weekend, all origonal. The barrel is fairly rough for the first 3-4 inches. Now it is desion time. Some of the guys said I had the perfect platform for a 38-55 but I like this idea of a 32. I will slug the throat and barrel. I think an oversize bullet may work after a lead lap. So many ideas. If playing with it does not work I will be looking for a reline and chamber job. One final point would it be a good idea to drill the block for center fire or try to find another block.
    The FIRST thing you need to do is post a picture so we can tell you what kind of action it is. If it's a #4, it's not safe for anything but a .22 IMHO.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Master

Wills I will look into the Dixie cases, they should tell me if I have a barrel that will work or not.

Molly, I am not so good with a computer or camera but I have a caliper and can mesure. The action appears to be slightly smaller than I rember the Egiption 43 I had years ago.
    Action pins .45 and 1.47 on center
    blocks .717 wide
    Where the barrel screws in the action1.65
    Barrel at the breach face .90
    barrel in front of action,1.15 .91 at the muzzle and is 30 inches long.
    Action along bottom line is3.975
    The only markings on the gun are E Remmington & Sons Ilion N.Y. Serial #10xxx
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I built such a rifle on a R 580 action, converted to centerfire with an Argentine rifle barrel. Worked well. Twist was not good for anything over abour 500fps. PM if intrested in the remains. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Adding to what Buckshot said, you could get a piece of .30 caliber barrel and turn it to fit the chamber of the shotgun, and chamber it to .32.

Well, the moon has waxed and waned several times since I last posted, so it's more than time to make a final report.

John Taylor did a fine job lining the 410 shotgun barrel, and it was a real thing of beauty when I got it back. But for some reason it wouldn't stay on a gallon can at 25 yards! John offered to reline it at no charge, but I didn't want to put him to that trouble unless absolutely necessary. It was necessary. I checked it for loose scope bases & mounts, loose stock screws, and even changed the scope with little to no improvement.

When I got it back from John the second time, it was a LOT better: Now it shot palm sized groups at 25 yards. John's work seemed absolutely perfect, and there was no apparent fault in the rifle, but the darn thing just wouldn't shoot. I tried light bullets, medium bullets, and heavy weight bullets. I tried high velocity and low velocity. I DID get one tight group, but the velocity was so high that any squirrel hit with it would have become a pink mist drifting through the leaves. That wasn't what I was looking for. And there wasn't anything wrong that either John or I could find!

In desperation, I speculated that the reason for poor accuracy MIGHT be inconsistent bedding, so I test fired it with the forend off. That did the trick! An un-optimized load chosen at random (2.2g HP-38 under 3118) would almost keep them touchng at 50 yards, while the best I did previously was 'palm-of-hand' groups at 25 yards. Now I have to drill and tap the barrel to attach the forearm, and glass bed it in. But LORDY, it was a pain to work the problem out and find the cause!

And does that load have a curved trajectory! Sighted in at 25 yards, it drops something like 16 inches at 100 yards. Still accurate though. I'm going to have to try some lighter bullets. But I'm getting good, repeatable accuracy now, so it's all downhill from here!
    Regards,

Molly

lil_bandit
    i talked to john taylor and i have a nice tight excellent #4 remington rolling block take down model in a .32 rimfire and i am going to have it chambered in the 32 s&w he says it can be done and i have 2 more just like it i think these would be great squirrel riffles in the 32 short and if it turns out to shoot goos in 32 i will convert the others plus if anyone needs .32 rifire shells i have some and can get more they are navy arm brand.

I've dreamed of a 32 S &W long caliber lever gun that would handle 32 shorts as well. I love the 32 pistol caliber.. so under rated !.
    I have a few of those MARBLES 32 S&W converters for 303 british and man they are accurate , quiet and no shortage of fun either !.

lil_bandit
    from what i hear the 32 s&w short in a rifle hardly has any repot when fired very quiet i bet these would be spectacular guns.and the a lever gun a + having multiple rounds to kick out would be a wild cat rifle and a good one

You betcha they are super quiet... I shot a squirrel once at over 80 yards and it looked like a tornado whisked him from the tree. And when recovered was not shredded... quite fit for the pot !. My Patt'14 does extremely well with the Marbles converter... it put many a squirrel and rabbit in the pot when I was a younger !.

You know that makes me wonder now that if a guy had a spare Marlin 94 in 357 cal , and made a wildcat 357 necked down to 32 cal and a barrel lined for it ... oh man must resist , must resist !.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast