Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long rifle build

Boolit Master
    Those old Marlins are also in .32 colt or 32 rimfire (at least the colt is reloadable, but just try fining brass... I dare ya )

I've got an early 90's vintage norinco jw-15 that has locking lugs as well, overbuilt for a .22, not sure how easy something like that would be to convert though.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Those old Marlins are also in .32 colt or 32 rimfire (at least the colt is reloadable, but just try fining brass... I dare ya )

I've got an early 90's vintage norinco jw-15 that has locking lugs as well, overbuilt for a .22, not sure how easy something like that would be to convert though.
    Actually, I might be interested in the JW-15 if you're looking to sell it. Don't know what you'd want for it though. Marstar in Canada can't ship Chinese guns to the US, but they have a new price there of $159 Canadian.

BTW, congratulations on the wedding that's in your near future.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Hey Molly, Thanks for the offer, I would, but it's got two things that prevent me from selling it, the first is that it's the first gun my dad and I ever shot together (I got it new in 92 when I was 13... makes you feel old huh?) And the second is that it's literally the most accurate gun I've ever shot, and regularly see sub 1/4" groups at 100 yards.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Molly, what about the romanian cugir 22rf single shot rifle action?. Its big enough and is a single shot. Try allan's armory at gunboards.com for pics as I believe he has some for sale. Somewhere I seem to remember someone converting one to shoot center fire cartridges. This is not the little romanian trainers with the 5 shot mag. Two locking lugs at the rear of the bolt. One is the bolt handle itself and a smaller one opposite the bolt handle. Frank

Boolit Master
    "...sub 1/4" groups at 100 yds." This is a .22 LR, right? Please say that was a typo! If it wasn't, that rifle should be enshrined somewhere.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it has to be a calm day, and I use match ammo, but 1/4" and smaller groups are pretty common with the gun. Sadly it was later in life (like age 14) that I realized not all guns where that accurate. I haven't had it out in a while... and probably wont for a while yet... but I really enjoy shooting the gun a lot, at least as much for sentimental reasons as the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Molly, what about the romanian cugir 22rf single shot rifle action?. Its big enough and is a single shot. Try allan's armory at gunboards.com for pics as I believe he has some for sale. Somewhere I seem to remember someone converting one to shoot center fire cartridges. This is not the little romanian trainers with the 5 shot mag. Two locking lugs at the rear of the bolt. One is the bolt handle itself and a smaller one opposite the bolt handle. Frank
    OK Frank, I need some guidance here. I think the Cugir trainer with the 5 shot clip is the M. 65 and / or the M. 1956. I've done some searching, and those are the only Romanian traniners I can find. Got a model number, or a link to the the specific rifle yoou are thinking of? I'd sure appreciate some more info. Meanwhile, I'll go back to allan's armory at gunboards.com and search some more.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Molly, these are not the little romanian trainers with the 5 shot mags. They are more of a man sized 22 single shot bolt action. Since the mag isn't there the receiver bottom is solid. Should be able to convert to your 32 cartridge. Allan's armory so far is the only dealer that I am aware of that has them. BBl is pressed in and has a cross pin through the receiver and bbl. Has a rather long bbl and from the one I saw
    at a gun show could be rebored to 32 cal (.312 caliber or .308) Darned if I can remember who or where I either saw or read what caliber it was reworked into. Has a man sized stock so if you do rebarrel you could open it up slightly. Wish I could give more info. The receiver does have CUGIR stamped on the top of the receiver ring.

Molly just went back to allain's armory, did not see the large single shot cugir trainers in any of his listings.. Guess he sold out. I've only seen one at a local gun show so I know they are out there. Another suggestion would to look into the polish
    wz series of moisin nagant trainers. Looks like its parent rifle but only in 22rf, Frank
    Last edited by Frank46; 09-26-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy

.32 CF Rifle

Look at my post in the 'rimfire' section about using the Winchester Model 37 .410 as a platform for a .32. Relining the barrel should be easy and the extractor/ejector should work well, but may require a little bit of adjustment. Let me know what you think, as I haven't converted mine YET, but am seriously considering doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    While I agree that the #4 is not the strongest action in the world, it handles the 308 win, 444 marlin, 223, 32 H&R mag, 357 mag, 44 mag. These I know it will handle since I have built rifles on a #4 in each of these calibres. Obviously stay away from belted magnums...
    I think that either you are mistaken about the action you have been working with, or you have a sense of humor that could result in some serious legal problems for you. The #4 Remington Rolling Block action was a dinky little toy used exclusively for light boys guns by Remington, who should know its limitations. Others who have worked with this action report difficulty getting a .32 H&R Mag to chamber past the hammer, and have expressed the opinion that even a 327 round could not be made to work. In order to chamber the larger rounds you claim to have used in the #4, one would have to partially disassemble the rifle to remove the breechblock and hammer, insert the round, and then reassemble it to fire.
    Regards,

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by shaggist View Post
    Look at my post in the 'rimfire' section about using the Winchester Model 37 .410 as a platform for a .32. Relining the barrel should be easy and the extractor/ejector should work well, but may require a little bit of adjustment. Let me know what you think, as I haven't converted mine YET, but am seriously considering doing it.
    Sleeving a 410 for the .32 S&W Long is quite feasable, and has been done repeatedly. I wish I could find one of those slender pre-war 410's for my own use.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Master
    I have a blued/walnut Ruger 77 hornet that just will not shoot well. I have been wondering if it may work for a 32 conversion. Might even be able to get the rotary mag to feed with a bit of shaping.
    What yall think?

Boolit Master

While I agree that the #4 is not the strongest action in the world, it handles the 308 win, 444 marlin, 223, 32 H&R mag, 357 mag, 44 mag. These I know it will handle since I have built rifles on a #4 in each of these calibres. Obviously stay away from belted magnums...
    I can only assume that you mean the #5 Action! the #4 action would leave so little barrel shank for a 308 or 44 that you could probably see through it!

I wouldn't put a .32 magnum in one, for fear of it coming apart if someone loaded full power factory ammo in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I can only assume that you mean the #5 Action! the #4 action would leave so little barrel shank for a 308 or 44 that you could probably see through it!

I wouldn't put a .32 magnum in one, for fear of it coming apart if someone loaded full power factory ammo in it.
    My Mistake!!! My orignal post spoke of the #4 Mk1 or 2 Lee Enfield, not a Remington Rolling Block. That is what I misread on the post to which I was responding. I have no experience whatsoever with rolling block actions, but quite a bit with SMLE's. Up here we have the habit of calling a SMLE #4 mk1 or mk2 simply a "#4".

Moderator -can you delete my original post? The time has run out on my ability to revise it.

Please accept my apology for my stupid error. Mea Culpa.

<Post deleted at member's request>
    Last edited by Buckshot; 09-27-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Model 37 conversion

Molly,
    Where's the best place to look for a liner for one of these .410s? Googling doesn't tell you anything about the suppliers and their products-what works well and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I have a blued/walnut Ruger 77 hornet that just will not shoot well. I have been wondering if it may work for a 32 conversion. Might even be able to get the rotary mag to feed with a bit of shaping.
    What yall think?
    All day long, my friend. All day long. Go for it
    Regards,

Molly

My Mistake!!! ... Up here we have the habit of calling a SMLE #4 mk1 or mk2 simply a "#4".
    Please accept my apology for my stupid error. Mea Culpa.
    No, I can see your post was accurate, if not sufficiently detailed. You didn't say 'Rolling Block', so the mistake was mine, for assuming what you did NOT say.
    My apologies.

Molly
    Regards,

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by shaggist View Post
    Molly,
    Where's the best place to look for a liner for one of these .410s? Googling doesn't tell you anything about the suppliers and their products-what works well and what doesn't.
    Actually, I'd recommend that you contact John Taylor on this web site, as he has considerable experience with relining to .32 Long. I'm sure he will do a fine job with yours, or, if that's not quite what you're looking for, he'll help with contacts for liners. Good luck.
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    No, I can see your post was accurate, if not sufficiently detailed. You didn't say 'Rolling Block', so the mistake was mine, for assuming what you did NOT say.
    My apologies.

Molly
    Man, this is the most polite site on the net!! Kinda reminds me of the two chipmunks "Chip and Dale" who were always trying to behave with perfect manners.

Besides the Phd education available here in boolit casting and shooting, the folks here are civilized and downright friendly!

Boolit Master

ricksplace,

you have found out the truth about this place, and as you stay longer you will find that it gets better. Thanks for sharing what you know on the SMLE conversions.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast