WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Challenger Breech Lock Press for Pat's tool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Danny- the ejector arm I sent you was for a LEE classic cast. I have no way of knowing if it would work for a breechlock as I don't have that press here.

Could you possibly email a photo of your press and you're arm?

Pat ...
    no problem pat it was just a mix up on what kinda press i had, it was an easy fix and saw no reason to send it back. i'll take some photo's today and send em, but be warned this will be the first attempt at sending photo's, life is like a box of chocalet's you never know what your gonna get. and thats all i have to say about that. my name is forrest gump, people call me forrest gump.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Banned

I really appreciate your guys help so I can squash any bugs, and get things refined across the board.

Boolit Master

Danny- the ejector arm I sent you was for a LEE classic cast. I have no way of knowing if it would work for a breechlock as I don't have that press here.

Could you possibly email a photo of your press and you're arm?

Pat ...
    hi pat, i sent photos i think. it was my first attempt at sending photos if you did not get em let me know i'll try again.

skimmerhead

I also would like to see photo's of Skimmerhead's home made ejector for his Lee Challenger Breech Lock press. I would like to replace my old Challenger for this newer Challenger breech lock one. Pat if you could post the photo's here or skimmerhead would be appreciated.

Boolit Master

photos

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman44 View Post
    I also would like to see photo's of Skimmerhead's home made ejector for his Lee Challenger Breech Lock press. I would like to replace my old Challenger for this newer Challenger breech lock one. Pat if you could post the photo's here or skimmerhead would be appreciated.
    i don't know how to post em on here yet, trying to learn.

skimmerhead

Banned

Hee, hee... those pics are 3 megs Danny, and my email server will not download them to me and says they're to big.

I'm going to try another way to download them.

Banned

Couple questions...

From the pics it looks like my ejector arm will work, but the end needs to be taller, like you show. Should not need to cut the slot.

Is the ram diameter on the Breechlock the same as the Classic Turret?
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 09-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master

pat marlin

Couple questions...

From the pics it looks like my ejector arm will work, but the end needs to be taller, like you show. Should not need to cut the slot.

Is the ram diameter on the Breechlock the same as the Classic Turret?

the lee primer arm fits both press's, so i copied it and made it taller for the long stroke on the breech lock, i made notch for it to hang on pin deeper so it wouldn't fall out when i raised the ram, now the one you had would not fit in the slot, when i put it in the slot and tryed to lower the ram it was too deep. the arm has to fit so it will ride inside the diameter of ram's cylinder. i probably could have cut yours so it would have fit inside cylinder but i had the scrap laying around and decided to cut that one in case it didn't work i woulda kept quiet so no one would know i screwed up. but that the only thing i can see is that it was too deep. look in the photos the width of the two arms at top of the hinge pin slot. i didn't measure the rams so i don't know, if you need i can just let know. now in the last photo you see the arm in my lee 4 hole turret press, now it works in that press but i did not mount the check maker on that press and try to make any checks. tomorrow i'll measure the depth of the arm and let you know.

skimmerhead

Boolit Master

ejector arm

pat look at the one before last photo you can see how the arm has to ride in the cylinder. thats the width the arm has to be.

skimmerhead

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 30CAL-TEXAN View Post
    Ok guys I have made up some more adapter rings as seen in the pictures above for using the Pat Marlin CheckMaker dies in the smaller Lee Reloader press. I still have not tried this on a Challenger yet but I am fairly sure that it can be made to work as well.

If you are interested PM me. I didn't really come up with a price as JonB was the first taker and we agreed on a small trade. I'm fairly easy to please so I bet we can work something out.

- Chris
    I got the adaptor yesterday,
    Looks nice, the two pieces fit snug.
    Sadly, I won't get to try this out for a few days...heavy work load.
    Thanks,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

well, i can not coment on the breech lock part. but i can talk about the press itself. i bought the challenger press (witch is basicly the same press, both are cast aluminum) and used it for about 3 years. in that 3 years, i wore it out. at the end, i was crushing about 15% of the cases i was sizing, because there was so much play between the ram and press body. if you plan on reloading very much, or for any length of time, do yourself a big favor and buy a better press. if you are looking at trying reloading, and are not sure you will keep doing it, this press will give you a good idea what it is all about. i replaced my aluminum press with the lee classic cast press. it is built MUCH stouter. stout enough that if you ever want, you could reload the 50bmg. i would never buy another aluminum press, unless it was the lee portable hand press for taking to the range. a home press, needs to be cast iron or steel for longevity. by the way, i am on a tight budget, so money is a big deal to me. the lee cast classic was only $98.00 on sale at midway usa.com. off sale, i think it runs about $120,00. but this press will probably last you the rest of your life. one of the key design features of the classic is that the primers (and all the junk that comes out of a shell) goes down through the middle of the ram, where it contacts no other part of the press. the cheaper versions, dump all that junk out the side of the ram, so it get forced between the ram and the press body. can you say PLANNED OBSOLECENCE! they (and others) purposly design these to wear out so you will buy more. way to many items in this world are designed this way, with no long term value.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Banned

I forgot to mention that Ruger hog leg is a beauty Danny. What caliber is it?

Boolit Master

hog leg

I forgot to mention that Ruger hog leg is a beauty Danny. What caliber is it?
    it's 45 pat. my wife bought it for our wedding anniversery, and she has a job too! what a woman! couldn't help puttin it in the pictures. i lovvve my wife!

skimmerhead--ps tell snoop i said hi.

Banned

Snoop says hi backatcha Danny...

same press

I have the same problem using the Lee press. I will try to make the same setup as in the pictures

asw,

I just sent you a PM.

Boolit Man

Lee Challenger works fine!

I ordered a Challenger specifically to use Pat's die maker. I have this aversion to tearing presses down and resetting them for big jobs... The Challenger was a low cost alternative.

Pat told me he didn't make the ejector and referred me to these threads....

My press arrived yesterday and aI took a look. As you can see in the pictures above, the primer arm fits over a push pin in the ram. I took out my dremel tool with a stone on it and in five minutes I had ground down one of the two supplied primer arms to fit under Pat's ejector pin....

Haven't slowed down since.. Make fairly perfect gas checks Pat.

I would suspect the Lee ejector can be had for a nominal fee from Lee if you decide to use the press for double duty.... In the meantime, mine is mounted on a piece of 2 x 6 with Pat's die in it never to be removed for reloading...

Thanks Pat and everyone on this board - AWESOME!

Yet to be seen about durability. Works well with .010 material. No so much with the .016 material...

Have a great weekend!
    Ed
    Last edited by Hammer; 11-13-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling and my fast fingers....

adapter

30-Texan adapter works great. Its a simple and yet perfect set up.

Banned

Snoop concurs, but still wants a dogbone ...

New Press for Pat's GC tool.

Well I decided to get rid of my 2 Lee single stage presses for a new Lee Classic Cast press. It is made of cast iron and also take the larger size dies and comes with an adapter to use the standard size dies. Now I don't have to worry if Pat's GC tool working 100% with my press. Midway has them on sale for $76.95. I have 2 Lee Loadmasters for loading all my handgun ammo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast