RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rossi leverguns any good?

Boolit Mold

Rossi leverguns

When I started Cowboy Action Shooting in '94, I had a new Winchester in .45 Colt. I broke it in 4 shoots. The dealer sent it back and gave me a new "New" '94. It broke before the first one got back from the factory.
    I paid cash for a new ( pre-safety) Rossi in .45 Colt for my next shoot. I still have it. No problems. It gets smoother with age and use. I load 250 gr. LRNFP for it over 7 grains of Unque, and it hasn't failed to perform....with original sights.

Boolit Master
    Ive had 2 Rossi 357 Mags, 16 inch and 20 inch. Both older models. Worked fine with the right bullet. Like any lever gun they can be fussy about what they will feed. Well worth the money. I think stevesgunz.com sells tuned rifles. Just get one from him. Im probably going to order a 20 inch SS in 44 Mag from him.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    When I started Cowboy Action Shooting in '94, I had a new Winchester in .45 Colt. I broke it in 4 shoots. The dealer sent it back and gave me a new "New" '94. It broke before the first one got back from the factory.
    I paid cash for a new ( pre-safety) Rossi in .45 Colt for my next shoot. I still have it. No problems. It gets smoother with age and use. I load 250 gr. LRNFP for it over 7 grains of Unque, and it hasn't failed to perform....with original sights.
    You had a bad run with the 94s, I've had a lot over the years and still have 3-4, never had a prob and don't know anyone else that ever had a prob either. I have only ever set eyes on one 45Colt 94 and used it when my Rossi fell apart at a shoot (my fault, neglected to tighten the screws, lasted a couple of years and finally backed out). It worked fine, didn't seem that much clunkier than my 92, but then again, I ain't that fast! I feel like I'm going fast, but when I look at the videos, yawn!

Rossi and a Steve Gunz video, can't go wrong!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    This is a pretty informative thread, please keep the reviews coming. I'm also thinking about getting one in 44mag.
    Do not use GPal period

Boolit Master
    I'd love to find one in .454. I've got a .357 and love it.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    They sure would be teeth rattlers! Big result in a small package. I think I'd prefer a 45/70 for similar results at lower pressure, but they sure would be interesting.

My trapdoor with full house BP loads will do me, my shoulder is slowwwwwwwwwww to recover from a rotator cuff injury. I just ordered an 1886 Chippiwa I can't just stop shooting rfiles for a year or so.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunaria View Post
    This is a pretty informative thread, please keep the reviews coming. I'm also thinking about getting one in 44mag.
    Get one!
    I got mine in the SS flavor. Zero leading with the big ol' Lee 310. Use 296 and 2400.
    Just a warning, it kicks like a mule.
    I done the action job myself, If I can do it anyone can. Just take your time.
    Got a 357 24" SS as well. Its like shooting a 22, with more umph.

andy

I have a 44Mag SS Rossi as well as the 38/357 in my avatar. When I first got it I took it and another rifle to the range and placed both on ethe bench. I was having troubles with the scope on the Weatherby and one of the guys kept coming up and admiring the Rossi. He showed me his long Octangular Bbl 357 of which he was very proud. It was a nice rifle. He asked me for a shot of mine and I said ok and handed him the rifle and a box of 20 factory JHPs that were given to me with the rifle. I didn't realise the 357 was the only rifle he had ever fired and only popgun 38 cowboy loads at that. He was horrified when he set one off. I had trouble keeping a straight face when he returned it after the first shot,lol

I ended up having a shot of his and the heavy Bbl barely moved with the lightly loaded 126Gn 38s he was shooting. The 44 sure woke him up.

I have a Rossi in 45 Colt. It was OK new, but I bought the DVD from Steve's Gunz.
    I followed his instructions in the DVD, and replaced the ejector spring. Made a huge difference. Now it's the one rifle that goes to the range everytime I do! I'm still working on loads for it, so far the best is the LEE 200gr RNFP & 9.1gr Unique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cowboy2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I bought one in 454 blue that was slightly used and it has performed flawlessly so far. I have 2 Win 92s, a 25/20 and a 32/20, both built around 1920. The rossi is almost as smooth as the Winchesters. It does kick a bit with 317grs of lead at about 1980fps. I also removed the phony safety and built a replacement peep sight that fits where the safety was. I have only good things to say about mine now that it has a decent rear sight. Wish they built one in 256Win.

Boolit Man
    Does Rossi make a 45/70? Or am I stuck looking at the "premium" brands for something like that?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dunkel View Post
    Does Rossi make a 45/70? Or am I stuck looking at the "premium" brands for something like that?
    They make a mod 92 only, AFAIK, which is pistol cartridges only.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

Well, here's my two cents worth.........

I just helped an old timer near me get his Rossi revolver repaired. What a freaking run around.

Turns out that the Rossi's in this country were imported by various importers. And, one by one, when those importers went out of business, so did the "lifetime" warranty on the guns. So, the Interarms version of the Rossi revolver I helped with was repaired by the guy with the most Rossi experience, M&M Machine. However, Rossi's site, fathered by Taurus, is a lying piece of ****! Even when I called them on the phone, they were misleading.

We sent the gun to them for evaluation, and they sent it back the next day, no note, no explanation, no nuthin. $63 in shipping charges wasted.

So, at this point, I am VERY turned off by anything Rossi, current or old. And, since they are owned by Taurus, I'm protesting that outfit and their guns as well.

Just my two cents worth.

The Rossi family might be OK, but their guns are handled by IDJUTS!

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    TH I have a Rossi in 454! It can go from very mild with 45 colts to very deadly with full house 454 loads. With Buffalo bore 360 hard casts it kicks worse than my 45-70. But it also weights in at about 6 pounds so easier carrying. Works just fine for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post

Boolit Man
    I have a Rossi 92 in .357 (which is half the reason found this site). Was just wondering about bigger stuff. The 454 sound intriguing...will have to do some research on that.

Boolit Buddy

Do not think so . Marlin does ( I have 2 ) .

I have a Rossi in .45 LC & .357 Mag . I really like both of them .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rossi 92 in .357 (which is half the reason found this site). Was just wondering about bigger stuff. The 454 sound intriguing...will have to do some research on that.

My view is the M92 is too light for the .454 . Have never tried it and do not intend to .

God bless
    Wyr

I have a Rossi 24" .357 and a Marlin .44 . The Marlin is the more refined and better finished rifle but no way is it a better rifle when it comes to reliable function and punchin holes through game or paper. They both shoot real well but when I hunt I prefer the Rossi, it balances just right, points and swings well and the little .357 it's very mild report does not upset game down the track. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marlin, especially the light weight and the .44 hits like a hammer but it does not handle as well as the Rossi.

The trigger on both rifles from the factory was surprisingly good but I do give the edge to my Marlin. I only notice the difference if I'm leaning over a bench at the range.

Both rifles are ultra reliable which is just as well as in my neck of the woods after sales service is NON EXISTENT for both brands.

Neither rifle will reliably feed wadcutter projectiles

My Rossi was gritty when new but as the other fella's have suggested I just worked the action a few hundred times and give it a clean. Within 4 or 500 rounds it had slicked up as much as it ever was going too. I also use Petroleum jelly to lube the rifle, AMAZING. I've had it for 3 years and it has smoothed out and cycles smoother than my Marlin. I've never meet a Stainless steel Rossi that function as smoothly as the blued models - I would not buy a stainless anything though.

Other than ease of scope mounting the Marlin has no advantage over the Marlin in my view. Drawbacks with the Rossi - mongrel dovetail size for the factory sights. I could not use the factory buck horn sights as where the factory mounted them does not suit my eyes focal range. I don't like chunky front beads as Rossi fitted. An exchange of emails with Skinner sights and I had a narrow front sight blade with the correct size dovetail.

I replaced the rear sight with a folding Marbles that I had to shim and never use as I fitted a Lyman Tang sight, drops straight on as it's already drilled and tapped and it's no trouble to ring 12" gongs at 200 yards

Soon as I have a few $$ to spare I will buy myself a Rossi .357 mag 16" carbine as I'm so impressed with my 24" octagonal barrel rifle

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

One more Rossi 92 fan here. An Interarms era 20" 357 I found in a pawn shop back in '04, in like new condition.

I've put a fair amount of rounds downrange through that gun. Everything from 2100fps 357 mag screamers, to lightweight 38 specials poking along at 900fps. The rifle got better and better as I shot it. I did a little manual polishing, and also lightened the loading gate a bit. The rear site was swapped out for a Marbles semi-buckhorn.

I don't take it out as much as I used to, but it's an absolute favorite of mine. I love the ammo flexibility. The handling is superb. It's stoutly built. It's a very natural handling rifle. The only thing I don't care for is when it needs a breakdown cleaning. In that department, Marlin wins easily.

The 454 would be a rear bear to shoot with full house loads, but..................., having siad that, if I was going to buy one in 45Colt, I would go with the 454 because it would give me more flexibility and just shoot 45Colts most of the time, saving the big uns for the big uns!

If I wanted 454 power all of the time, I would go for a 45/70, same power, half the pressure, 10 times the amount of brass and ammo available (and probably cheaper to boot).

What you are experiencing with Rossi importers is pretty much what we experience with all importers in Australia. I find it is just easier and quicker to get a local guy to fix anything that goes wrong rather then screwing around returning things for warranty repair. Steves Gunz would be the place to get the Rossi fixed if a local guy couldn;t do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast