Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CB with 458 SOCOM?

Boolit Bub

lee 500 3R

I was pretty happy with the lee 500gr 3R non gas checked cast for subsonic in my bolt action and should be fun whenever it is that I get my suppressor. They were just at 50yds and have not had a chance to try them at any longer distance yet. Never actually used the strelok in the real world but it reads 6" drop at 100yds, 20.5 @ 150yds, 44" @ 200yds. Hopefully have some reports farther than 50yds in several weeks when I get to the range again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500lee.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	167646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee500cr.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	167647

Boolit Bub
    Waiting on my upper from Tromix... It is going to be a blast! Awesome to see people in casting giving this round a bit of attention.

One thing to keep in mind... Work up all loads. There is a lot of variance in rifle chambers in this round from different manufacturers.

Mine is going to be a 12 inch barrel, no muzzle break, just threads for suppressor. Should be nice on the deer this year. Most likely going to jump on powdercoating pretty much all of the SOCOM boolits. Right how I just have a NOE 405 WFN for the 4570 but I kinda doubt that is going to feed well.

Anyone have good suggestion on bullet molds for this thing?

As to the "military use" comments, I am pretty sure the 458 socom is designed to be fired from the AR15 rifle... designed from the ground up to work in that platform with the purpose to expand that rifle's usefulness.
    Last edited by redbullitt; 08-24-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    How is it going in here?

Have you people had any gas tube related problems whatsoever?

Boolit Master
    I'd played with the idea of making a manual action AR in 458 Socom and use a pointed lead bullet as my projectile.. This was due to where I live, Commiefornia.. there are no restrictions on manual action rifles.. yet.. so my thoughts were to utilize the Pmags I had as 10 round - 458 Socom mags.. and download the Socom to like 1100-1200 fps max.. and the kicker would be that I would use a non-ported barrel since it would never need to use a gas tube.. being a manual action.

Boolit Master

Got some new moulds from NOE for bullets in the SOCOM. These are both for coating only and have no lube grooves and I coated them both with HiTek Bronze 500.

Lighter weight (comes out to 36o gr.) with GC for a good shooting bullet:

Name:	NOE 354 gr .459 web.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	245858

Heavy 500 gr for subsonic loads:

Name:	NOE 500gr .459 web.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	245859
    Last edited by Intel6; 07-26-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    I'd played with the idea of making a manual action AR in 458 Socom and use a pointed lead bullet as my projectile.. This was due to where I live, Commiefornia.. there are no restrictions on manual action rifles.. yet.. so my thoughts were to utilize the Pmags I had as 10 round - 458 Socom mags.. and download the Socom to like 1100-1200 fps max.. and the kicker would be that I would use a non-ported barrel since it would never need to use a gas tube.. being a manual action.
    I just built a 458 SOCOM and don't have a gas block for it yet.
    I loaded some 350gr bullets with 7gr of Red Dot and they are very light loads.
    The best part is, they are easy to eject with the manual side charging handle on my AR.
    Pennsylvania still will only allow manually operated rifles for deer hunting.
    All the higher pressure ARs I have tried without a gas block have been too difficult to eject to get a second shot if needed. I just loaded 20 rounds with a 350gr bullet and 9.5 gr of Red Dot which I will shoot in the next few days.
    Here is a photo of a 350gr bullet I shot in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by redbullitt View Post
    Waiting on my upper from Tromix... It is going to be a blast! Awesome to see people in casting giving this round a bit of attention.

One thing to keep in mind... Work up all loads. There is a lot of variance in rifle chambers in this round from different manufacturers.

Mine is going to be a 12 inch barrel, no muzzle break, just threads for suppressor. Should be nice on the deer this year. Most likely going to jump on powdercoating pretty much all of the SOCOM boolits. Right how I just have a NOE 405 WFN for the 4570 but I kinda doubt that is going to feed well.

Anyone have good suggestion on bullet molds for this thing?

As to the "military use" comments, I am pretty sure the 458 socom is designed to be fired from the AR15 rifle... designed from the ground up to work in that platform with the purpose to expand that rifle's usefulness.
    Yeah the chamber neck is so tight on mine I have to neck turn to shoot .459-.460 cast. And 28.0 / Lilgun is redline for Horn. 350 round nose. I can only load 3-4 rounds in a 30 round mag for reliable feeding but have not really looked into that issue yet.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 225650

Well I chose my parts today. My success with Hi-Tek & 45-70 is causing a snowball-effect.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Yeah the chamber neck is so tight on mine I have to neck turn to shoot .459-.460 cast. And 28.0 / Lilgun is redline for Horn. 350 round nose. I can only load 3-4 rounds in a 30 round mag for reliable feeding but have not really looked into that issue yet.
    I have a Accurate mold, a Mihec mold (cast boolits forum), and a Lee mold that I use. I size them using a Lee Lube/Sizer die to 0.459". The Accurate and Mihec mold are 325 grains and the Lee mold with gas check and lube is 420 grains (using my alloy). These have proved very effective on deer and hogs. I normally load 7 rounds in a 20 round mag and 11 in a 30 round mag.

Thanks gitu1, I have to turn my case necks till they are about .0125" thick, this way I can size up to .461. Its chamber neck is about .488 and my bore is .4595.

I have been shooting 45-70 boolits with .325 meplats in my AR-15 though. I took a magazine and ground the lips back about .150" This lets the cartridge clear the mag earlier and has a little more time for it to get parallel to the bore.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-11-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Boolit Master

Two newer cast bullets from NOE moulds I am shooting in my SOCOM. I am also PC coating them now.

On the left is the NOE 345 HTC and on the right is the NOE 500 HTC

Name:	PC 458 SOCOM.web.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	229808

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    Two newer cast bullets from NOE moulds I am shooting in my SOCOM. I am also PC coating them now.

On the left is the NOE 345 HTC and on the right is the NOE 500 HTC

Name:	PC 458 SOCOM.web.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	229808
    Those look really good. I tried with Marlin bullets at first and it just makes life easier when one uses a right bullet for a cartridge.

Having said that, an RCBS 45-325-RF works for me for now. But a grooveless will be soon in order, me being a coating-convert now.

Attachment 229952

Attachment 229953.

Name:	2018-11-11 07.31.36.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	230236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-11-11 07.30.54.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	230237

All I have for now are Marlin boolits. I got these to feed great by notching the magazine feed lips. The one on top is the modified magazine. The feed fail would show as the cartridge in a 45° angle with dents on the shoulder from the upper locking lugs and a dent on the ogive from the top of the chamber.

That all went away once I notched a mag .150". I'll probably get a 300 grain socom style boolit sometime but these 46-405A's make some big holes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Those look really good. I tried with Marlin bullets at first and it just makes life easier when one uses a right bullet for a cartridge.

Having said that, an RCBS 45-325-RF works for me for now. But a grooveless will be soon in order, me being a coating-convert now.

Attachment 229952

Attachment 229953.
    Yes, the smooth sided ones are great if you are a coater. The bullets just fall out of the mould so you can really crank them out.

These were PC'd but I also have HiTek coated them. Bronze 500 if you were wondering.

Name:	NOE 500gr .459 web.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	230352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 354 gr .459 web.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	230351

Boolit Master
    Tromix here is feeding even the fat 480 ones. But the bullets got beaten up on their way.

Attachment 230666

Attachment 230667.

I half-mooned a mag for these,must try opening up the lips too,thanks. But the wide meplat probably asks for even deeper seating and it's starting to get crowded.

325 and 405 RF:s are doing fine.

I thought I'd try and cycle some rounds through the mag and into the chamber to look at the noses as well. They looked normal with only the slightest dent just down from the edge of the nose. I have to admit these boolits were pulled from a 45-70 using a kinetic puller but the noses didn't have any obvious dents from feeding into the AR with the modded mag.
    The oal is 1.982 and the meplat is .325

Boolit Master
    I'm actually getting closer to getting my Manual action rifle build.. I only need a few more parts.. I have the 500 gr pointed smooth side .459 Miha mold and am having them coated by a friend.. My question is.. can we load them as cast/coated or do they need to be sized after polymer coating them? I cast 200 last week and said friend should have the poly coated by next week. Thanks for any help..

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't tried any "as coated", I do size before and after coating so the brass doesn't do any sizing while seating. I would think your chamber would indicate how much you could do without. Only one way to find out, load a dummy round and see if it will chamber without problems.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

I picked up a Accurate 46-305s and have shot a few as coated without sizing. If the cured diameter is close to what you are sizing could try some. In my case I couldn't tell much difference in grouping.

I've been having some trouble with this cartridge. So I finally decided to take off the SOTA Arms barrel and bolt and put in a Tromix bolt and barrel. I also got a Lee factory crimp die and Lee die set with their expander die. If I was only going to 300 grain jacketed bullets the SOTA Arms would be okay but there is a lot more I'd like to do with the SOCOM than that.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone come up with a 405gr cast bullet load using H110?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast