PBcastcoLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Revolution

Boolit Master
    Couple of pics from Mosin mods.

On the left .416 taylor modified magazine with straight mag side plates. In the middle, an original mag and on right .450 marlin cartridge in top of original mag as comparison.

pic from the bottom of mosin action opened up for .416 taylor.

S

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eka View Post
    What about .375 Winchester since it is designed to work with the rimmed case? Might make a nice mountain carbine.
    I'm not sure whether the 375 Winchester is do-able or not but I would think one may run into a problem with the interrupter not working correctly because the case diameter is a bit smaller than the Rusky case diameter. It seems like one may be able to overcome that problem by making up a slightly larger interrupter to retain the cartridges in the magazine.

Also I found that if one has no need to re-use the old barrel, one can make a relief cut just forward of the action and relieve the stress on the barrel and it comes out quite easily.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    You know guys a 7.62X54R opened up to 35 caliber would be the equivalent of a factory 35 Whelen. For the convenience of a betteer rifle and factoryammo/brass I go with the Whelen. BTW, the body size of the 375W is the same as a 30-30 and 38-55 which IS smaller than the Rooskie brass.

T-o-m

Opening the Roosky to 35 should be a great caliber but a little ... well ... almost pointless. Not really and probably a very good idea but how about compromising on .375? It might cost the loss of the a shoulder to head-space on but with that case taper, one could conceivably head-space on the case body itself (fire-formed cases). That would make the rather large and somewhat strong action worthwhile, I should think. I mean, the case has a rather large base diameter.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In Remembrance

I`ve heard about someone on another web site making a .416 wildcat on the MN case with a different barrel and magazine modifications, haven`t been able to track it down so far. Speaking as a .416 Taylor afficianado with one on a M-70 action I can only imagine the kick from a MN with an issue stock!Robert

Boolit Master
    There is a thread on the nitroexpress.com website, the gentleman's name is lancaster and he is currently doing a 9.3 or 9.5 x 54r build on a moisin action and has a lot of info plus pics. And on gunboards.com there are a bunch of threads in the workbench forum where the czech uk59 machine gun barrels in 7.62x54 are being bought and put on moisins. The barrels already threaded and chambered for this round. Some downright accurate rifles have been built using this barrel. The bbl I have slugs out at .312 but have not done any work as yet. And its a very heavy bbl. Think the bbls are selling for about $90 and are unused. Had been giving thought to cutting off the moisin chamber and doing a build on a lee enfield action as these bbls have shown some very good accuracy. Some of the builders change the profile as much to loose weight and then it looks like a bull bbl. With a bolt handle alteration and a good receiver mounted scope turns out to be a nice shooting rifle. The Finns used them to good effect during their wars with the russians and some olympic competitions. Frank

Boolit Master
    A looooong time ago someone had a finnish M-N rebored to 450 0r 50 alaskan. I think the story was in a Handloader or Rifle magazine. IIRC it was a 2 0r 3 round mag when done.

375 jdj

Would a 444 Marlin case be ok to get to feed in a MN?

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    Easier than that would be to neck the original x54r case up to .375 and do the necessary mods to the magazine and feed rails.

Follow this link to a blog where two amatuer gunsmiths modified their Mosin Nagant carbines to .45-70. It's a ways down the page, but they have picures and a description of how to modify the Mosin Nagant magazine & mag well to accept larger calibers.

http://pharmory.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    A friend of mine built a 444 on a Mosin and modified the mag to work, It would only work with three in the mag but it did work.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    For lack of anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon years ago, I took an old Numerich .45 muzzle loading barrel and fitted it to a Mosin action. The breech was cut off, threaded and chambered (with a boring bar no less!) for the .45-70. Bolt face was opened to accomodate the rim. No changes were made to the magazine...never got that far as I just wanted to see if it shot. The front sight was a Mauser with the band split so it would slide over the large muzzle, then soldered. I honestly don't remember what I used for the rear sight. The whole Frankenstein creation was dropped into a cut military stock after opening the barrel channel considerabley.

Now, the gun had everything against it.....the twist wasn't quite right, the chamber wasn't polished to a mirror finish, ugly as a mud fence post, etc.....yet that thing put four shots into a six inch circle at 50 yards! With further tweaking it might have done even better, but I sold it (cheap) to a guy that just HAD to have it. He thought it made a neat "boom".

It shows what you can do when you're bored...........

Boolit Buddy
    A .338 x54R would be sweet I think.

It'd be just big enough to clean up the bore of a beat up Mosin & there are a lot of great .338 bullets out there.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Unless you do your own work on the cheap, just how much are you willing to spend to make a silk purse from a sow's ear? Just sayin...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over on gunboards , a guy (he was in finland) made one in 45/70 and it shot pretty good

Boolit Grand Master
    One that I know of shoots OK.
    Nothing outstanding, but around 4+" at 100. Some work could improve that.
    This particular rifle has an unusually nice bore for a Moisan Nagant rifle.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Unless you do your own work on the cheap, just how much are you willing to spend to make a silk purse from a sow's ear? Just sayin...
    Exactly. And a Mosin would still be sow-ish....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think making an " Improved " case is a good option.
    The Finn's made the cartridge in other calibers also for Civilian Hunting Rifles.
    But keep in mind the pressure limits of the action.
    The MN is fairly strong , but the actions are Old and designed for about 45,000 cup.
    With improved rounds you don't have any data on pressure limits of the new cartridge.
    But a cast Boolits shooter should be OK.
    You are talking about quite a chunk of change to rebuild a Low Cost action just to be limited on the ammo you can shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Boy, this is a very old thread...imo, a Siamese Mauser action would be a much better choice for any "improved" cartridge based on the 7.62x54r case. for one, the magazine and bolt face will accomodate the Russian cartridge without any work to speak of, as the rimmed Siamese cartridge size is dimensionally very very close, and of course, it's a Mauser action which would be a bit better for custom work.
    But why do any of this...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    Boy, this is a very old thread...imo, a Siamese Mauser action would be a much better choice for any "improved" cartridge based on the 7.62x54r case. for one, the magazine and bolt face will accomodate the Russian cartridge without any work to speak of, as the rimmed Siamese cartridge size is dimensionally very very close, and of course, it's a Mauser action which would be a bit better for custom work.
    But why do any of this...
    Some people are easily amused. Some others are easily bored.

my dad once said "if you have to ask why, you wouldnt understand"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast