Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxPBcastco
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Revolution

Soviet Revolution

Has anybody tried altering one the those 7.62 x 54R bolt actions into a rather large diameter cast bullet gun? Read somewhere that a 9mm version is used in hunting rifles. That would have greater case capacity than a 358Win?

Would expanding out to 40cal work? Like a 40-65 on steroids?

Does this beastie head space on the rim or the shoulder?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Check the head space with magic marker on a very expanded loaded case without powder and bullet seated long so the case is held against the bolt full time when closing slowly. See where the "stopping" point is by looking at the magic marker scrapes during closing. Be extra careful during bolt closure and opening and case extraction. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I think a wildcat .338, .358, or .366 (9.3mm) on this case would be a useful cartridge; now if only the action wasn't so fugly and crudely built...

I guess is really isn't that bad, for what it was designed. I just can't imagine why they put the bolt handle where they did, shaped the way it is! The operator has very little mechanical advantage while manipulating the bolt. When you add in the poor machining that's found on most of the bolt parts, it's really a chore to operate!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

It could be rebarreled to a larger caliber but depending on how big the magazine would have to be widened at the front. Not sure how big a caliber the issue magazine will hold.

With factory or milsurp the cartridges headspace on the rim. However, I mostly neck size so mine are now headspacing on the shoulder.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Has anybody tried altering one the those 7.62 x 54R bolt actions into a rather large diameter cast bullet gun? Read somewhere that a 9mm version is used in hunting rifles. That would have greater case capacity than a 358Win?

Theres an 9x53R listed in COW
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I think the Finns did most of the wildcatting of the cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, they had plenty of rifles to play with (from USSR) after the 1940 Winter War.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Super Moderator

...........Be prepared for lots of fun removing the action from the barrel. There's a guy with a video on YouTube, and it took 540 ft lbs of torque to bust them loose from each other, and that was after soaking in penetrating oil for some time!

As Larry Gibson mentioned, the fore part of the mag might need some massageing if the cartridge was expanded beyond the mag's capabilities. Also the opening in the bottom of the action might need to be ground for clearance in passing an expanded caseneck area. They're made with a decided bottle neck feature there.

Heck if a guy had the "Tinker time" it'd be a gas to alter one to 45-70 or 40-65. The rim sizes are very close to the Rooskie round. You could maybe cobble a SMLE magazine to it as I know they're fairly simple to alter for the 45-70, but maybe the M-N's could be also? "Have TiG, can fab"?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    What about .375 Winchester since it is designed to work with the rimmed case? Might make a nice mountain carbine.

Boolit Master
    I have made Mosins to .450 Marlin and .416 Taylor.
    In Finland there is a custom .458 version made from the old mosin case.
    Some time ago it was also popular to make the 45-70:s from them, but it is easier to use the WM magnum cases as they dont require the opening of the bolt head.
    I will propably do .500 S&W on next winter or so..

S

PS. the magazine convesions are easy as the side walls are riveted.. One just drill out 4 rivets and either bend the originals or replace them with new proper sideplates with drilled holes.. few welds thru the holes and level them with grinder or something..
    Last edited by seppos; 09-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Mosin Nagant barrel thread specifications

Does anyone happen to know of the mosin nagant's barrel thread specs offhand?
    I just ran across these some 357 barrels on Numrich's site:

Original unchambered barrel in the white. Measures 20 7/8" long with 6-groove rifling. Shank measures .950" diameter x 1 1/2" long with a Metric 27mm diameter x 2.0 thread. Barrel tapers from 1.165" at the shoulder to .650" at the muzzle, stepped down to .560" diameter.

A 9x54r would be a great hog/moose/bear round. I have a m44 that could use another barrel. Hmmm...

Boolit Master
    Seems to be 16 G 3/8 thread in the barrel stump that I have on hand. I could assume that the diameter of the threaded section is an inch.. in this one it is a bit under but that could come from ruskie tolerances.. lenght of the threaded section is 0.95 inch and the thread has been cut away about 0.08 from the back..

S

Boolit Master
    I rebarreled one into a 50 caliber Muzzleloader.

The barrel shank is 1" 16tpi, 60 degree threads.

Boolit Master
    YOU BE TELLING ME THE MN IS 1X16 WITH A 60 DEGREE THREAD...you sure about 60 degrees...maybe 55 and 60 works ?))
    something i can do on my lathe without changing gears.....

ohhh my...

how about a nice replacement bbl in 308 from krieger.heavy under the wood....ohhh my

with a match 7.62x54r reamer...ohh my

in a finn stock with a finn trigger.....ohhhh myyyyyyy

mike in co
    Last edited by mike in co; 09-08-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post

technically it does headspace on the rim...but as a reloader you can chose to just neck/partial neck size.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    YOU BE TELLING ME THE MN IS 1X16 WITH A 60 DEGREE THREAD...you sure about 60 degrees...maybe 55 and 60 works ?))

I only have Inch threading gears. I used 60 degrees. A 60 deg thread gage fit the barrel I pulled, the shank on that barrel was .995" dia. This was a Stalingrad era receiver, I'm sure sloppy tolerances were acceptable at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    Does anyone happen to know of the mosin nagant's barrel thread specs offhand?
    I just ran across these some 357 barrels on Numrich's site:

Original unchambered barrel in the white. Measures 20 7/8" long with 6-groove rifling. Shank measures .950" diameter x 1 1/2" long with a Metric 27mm diameter x 2.0 thread. Barrel tapers from 1.165" at the shoulder to .650" at the muzzle, stepped down to .560" diameter.

A 9x54r would be a great hog/moose/bear round. I have a m44 that could use another barrel. Hmmm...
    They chambered the Dragunov in 9x54, it was known as the Medved, supposedly Russian for bear. I didn't say that, someone else did.

Boolit Master
    The 9X54 R (or 53R in Finnland) are popular hunting cartridges for bear and moose. I have a friend with relatives in Finnland and he tells me his uncle uses a MN in that caliber to bring home the years meat supply.

Boolit Master
    Actually NickSS.. If I may correct you a little.. The 9mm variant is 9.3X53R in Finland.
    The reason for the wildcatting was the restrictions of the 7.62 as civilian cartridge.
    After the second world war there was tensions bitween the mighty soviet empire and Finland.
    To muffle that down a bit it was prohibited for the civilians to use 7.62X53R for hunting, as that would have given the possibility to the people to stockpile ammo for the military rifle..
    There was different "civilian" versions and the gunsmiths drilled and riffled old military barrels to bigger calibers.
    If I remember right the restrictions where removed in 1980:s or so..
    Then the military had already the M-62 assault rifles..

Nowdays the finn custom caliber variants are not so popular any more due to the fact that only Sako formerly known as "Suojeluskuntien Ase ja KOne= homeguards weapon and machine" was the only factory that produced the cartridges.
    Now when it is no longer owned by finns (owned by BERETTA) the intrest to load those finn cartridge variants is very small..

S

has anyone ever " Ackley Improved " a 7.62x54R , with the large amount of body taper I would be curios to what the potential of the improved version would be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast