RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? Source for Mutton Tallow - 5# Containers or Less

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

? Source for Mutton Tallow - 5# Containers or Less

Only retailer - Dixie is out of mutton tallow and no date identified to resupply
    Know of any other source for mutton tallow?
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I have seen zero practical use difference betwen sheep tallow and properly rendered deer tallow. Seeing as how deer are always falling dead around me I use that instead. I have more deer tallow than I can use, if you would like some of it just let me know.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The one big difference 357maximum is that mutton tallow will not go rancid as all the other game type will. Even beef which is very easy to buy will not stay good long. I have yet found a replacement for the mutton tallow that myself and John Boy and many others use in the making of a good BP lube. Dixie has been out for months and will not say what is going on. I'm begining to think that they have a problem with the source they have used for a very long time. The other answer is that they have decided not to carry it any more. The longer they stay without it the more I think it is #2. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I looked for quite a while and found a couple real high price small volume sources.
    finally got a good supply of sheep fat from the local slaughter house and made my own.

True mutton tallow is different than regular rendered fat. The really good tallow comes from the fat globules around the kidneys. That tallow is different, more waxy feeling is a partial description. The fats that are rendered down that comes from under the skin are also tallow, but not the same consistency. It wiil all work the same though for lube work.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Banned
    I guess I am a lucky person as I have never seen my deer tallow go rancid. It just sits there on the shelf in airtight containers with no other special attention and it is still just fine. The stuff I rendered from around the kidneys is a bit harder/waxy but all of it has survived storage in a warm place just fine. YMMV obviously.

Aug 19, 2010

From Dixie Gun Works

We are sorry but we do not know when or if we will have mutton tallow. We do not have a supplier and at this time have found no other sources. Please check back with us in 3 to 4 months for an update.
    Thank you,
    Shirley

---

I've switched over to felt wads home lubed with Old Zip for my BP revolvers, and it keeps the buildup at bay rather nicely.

Black Powder 100%

Thanks Silent, That confirms my thoughts were dead on. You can find it on the wire but it is in 1000 lb and up containers. If I thought that I was going to live to the age of 300 I might try for a buy.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I tried Dixie also and got the same answer a few weeks ago. I found some on Amazon. Small one oz containers. I bought 5 for about $10 incl. shipping. This will last me a long time since I don't shoot muzzle loaders much. I assume you can buy direct also. The company name and address is on the container. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will go to the shop in the morning and get the address, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    If tallow goes rancid it was NOT rendered properly! After rendering you need to "wash" it atleast 2 times also. Tallow is what the Indians used to make pemican and they have found caches of that which are over 100 years old and still eddible!

Tom

OGK, I tend to agree with you on the rendering part. When I was a kid my mother rendered lard from the hog butchering. It sat unrefrigerated in a crock and never went rancid. We had a neighbor that made beef lard the same way and it never got rancid either. As to it's suitability for boolits I've not a clue.
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Only retailer - Dixie is out of mutton tallow and no date identified to resupply
    Know of any other source for mutton tallow?
    John Boy others have asked this same question, a search will help.

Also, there are local butchers almost where everyone lives and a heck of a lot of them butcher "Lamb". They have literally no use for the tallow and would probably give it to you are even for a small fee.

You could also buy a couple lambs at a local local livestock auction, 4HClub, Farmer and butcher them your self. They are easy to butcher and cut up, sort of like a very big rabbit. I would say off hand it will take you a couple hours to cut up and freezer wrap a lamb at the most. If you have a place set up for butchering, if not make one its not hard and if you hunt you will need one anyway!

Lamb is priced VERY high and if you like it, could put some TOP eating in your freezer very quick.

If you don't like it and put out the word you will be able to sell it fairly easy! You will find out what I mean if you go to a supermarket and price lamb chops/leg of lamb/whatever.

I do not know how to render the tallow but it must be fairly easy because a heck of a lot of people do it in home butchering. None of this is Rocket Science, so don't let it scare you in the least!

Just give it a little thought and I'm sure you will come up with more ideas.

This is basically how a lamb/deer/baby lamb/ Rabbit is cut up of course the cutting of the various pieces on a "Rabbit" wouldn't be done because of "size"!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekek1...eature=related

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Changeling; 09-11-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Boolit Master

You fellows using Tallow for Black Powder lube? Or is it in the mix of your BP lube?

Boolit Master

I got a recipe on Handloads.com for a BP wad lube. Consists of 2 parts mutton tallow, 2 parts paraffin and 1 part beeswax. Haven't tried it yet.

John
    W.TN

Black Powder 100%

I mix it with your beeswax Randy. Mutton tallow is a very good BP lube for MZ loading . When you add some other things it becomes one of the best BP lubes I use. I have used it in my 34inch barrel 1874 Sharps and have that lube Star at the end of the barrel, the same as using SPG which is much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    You fellows using Tallow for Black Powder lube? Or is it in the mix of your BP lube?
    I've been looking for the mutton tallow to make wad lube for my cap and ball revolvers. I could see the same lube being beneficial to cast rounds as well. Basically it's beeswax, mutton tallow and paraffin mix.

Boolit Master

What is the consistency of it? Is it soft enough to spread on your lead by hand?

Black Powder 100%

Straight mutton tallow is about like solid lard. After I mix it with Beeswax and others it is about like Lars's BAC. I have put it on my 45-70's by hand, but my Star or pan lubing is better. For large bullets like the 535 gr Postell I prefer pan lubing over the Star.

Boolit Master

OK now that i hijacked johnboy's thread, lets see if we can find him some mutton tallow.

Boolit Buddy
    IF you can't get mutton/lamb tallow pure hog lard (watch the stuff in the stores for citric acid and salt addidtions) will make a good BP lube mixed with bees wax. Now mixed at the same ratio as mutton tallow the lube will be softer. You just adjust the amount of bees wax until the lube meets your needs....softer for cold weather and harder for warmer weather.

Beef tallow is NOT as "slick" as mutton tallow or hog lard. Use the hog lard that is in the cooler section of the store and not what is on the shelves. And no matter what critter the "tallow" comes from the best slickest stuff is made from the "leaf fat" which is next to the kidneys as someone else pointed out.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast