Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning/removing lite rust on cast iron molds

Boolit Buddy
    The Bar Keepers friend powder works wonders. It chemically changes the iron oxide( Rust) into another compound. The active ingredient is Oxalic acid. Once you get the rust out, dry and lube it before putting it away. You can heat blue it after it appling some oil or Kroil to protect it.
    Greg

Boolit Master
    Remember, you can get the rust out, but not the rust pits. Period. NOTHING will change a rust spot back to the undamaged smooth metal it once was. Not to bust any bubbles, just so all are aware. Once the smooth metal is gone, it's gone.
    Magnifying glass will prove that. That said, I will have to try the "Evapo-Rust" from HarborGarbage. Sounds like it might be interesting. Unless someone has the composition? (Might just be a variation on Naval Jelly????)
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Buddy
    bar keepers friend water to a paste and a tooth brush rinse with hot water

my memory is poor, but I seem to have read of a molasses soak for rust removal

wish I could remember where I read that

Boolit Master
    Scroll down in the forums until you come to "The Kit Room" and read the "Citric Acid Brass Cleaning" heading!!!
    R.D.M.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have used Evapo-Rust for a few years in my shop and it will clean light rust in just a few hours. I use it on everything and the stuff is great. I did how ever make a boo-boo with it. I have a High Standard DM 101 22 magnum derringer. It had some rust at the tip of the muzzle. I rigged a piece of wire to where only the muzzle was in the liquid. I was thinking that I was a smart fellow for thinking of this simple method. I was going to reblue with my Oxy Blue from Brownells. My 12x24 shop is on the back of my property and I leave the door open for ventilation. When I returned to remove the gun a brown wren was next to the plastic container and my gun was down in the Evapo-Rust. It will remove bluing as I have first hand knowledge. It does how ever do the best job of any product I have seen in my 63 years.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12