Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: What is the difference between Ideal and Lyman

What is the difference between Ideal and Lyman

Excuse me for my ignorance but I have just started using Lyman moulds for my 45/70. I recently puchased a used but like new mould from a fellow member who put it up for sale as a Lyman (457125) and was just informed that unbeknowest to him, it was a Ideal mould. I know Ideal was the forerunner of Lyman.... my question is why are they held in such high regard ? Are they of better quality ? Thanks in advance !
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Master

Being the older company, Ideal moulds and the earlier Lyman moulds were made back when machinists took pride in their work. These days, the quality control and specifications are kind of hit and miss among most production mould manufacturers.

This is why you see Ideal moulds and the older Hensley and Gibbs moulds go so high on E-Bay. They're usually better./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Thanks Beagle...I paid 50.00 including shipping so I guess I did not do to bad.
    Last edited by BSkerj; 12-10-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

The going rate for a new Lyman 2-cav is $62 these days. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=728135

I'd say you did just fine.

As for me, I consider Lyman & Ideal to be on equal ground. For me, It's all about condition. Some of the old ones are well kept. Others are not. The Lyman mold that I bought new about 2 or 3 years ago was just what it should have been. I couldn't find any flaws on it anywhere. Other people have reported quality issues on recent Lyman purchases.

I hold H&G molds in higher regard. I haven't seen any of them with factory defects & I feel that their designs are better thought out. I believe that one of the reasons why the H&G molds tend to drop so well is because the boolits were designed with curves that don't tend to hang up. I think that some other brands have cavity designs with insufficient draft angles & unnecessary sharp corners.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus