WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Encore in .416 Rigby?

Question Encore in .416 Rigby?

Anyone have any experience with an Encore in .416 Rigby? I can't imagine the recoil on this! I know the barrels come with muzzle breaks, but still that is a lot of power to control. Maybe load down with cast? If you shoot cast what boolit do you recommend?

Trying to decide if I want to buy a barrel in .416!

Have a great weekend!

Boolit Master
    SOM,

If you shoot full house 416 Rigby loads in an Encore, you're a mighty tough hombre. A cast bullet of 350 to 400 grains at some modest velocity, say 1400 to 1600 fps, would be much more comfortable in that very light rifle.

I shot a few cast in my 416, but just can't get excited about doing it. It's just not a plinking caliber. My practice loads are a 400 grain home made jacketed bullet ahead of 95 grains of 4831. The top load is 108 grains of 4831 or 95 grains of 4350 with a 400 grain bullet.

With full house loads, you'll "fear no evil" as you're carrying a very big stick.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    And IF you are going to download that much you might as well start with a 405 or even a 414 supermag.... kind of silly to have to be filling alot more powder cavity to achieve something a smaller case can redily do more efficient.
    I shoot a 265 grainer GC at 1800 fps in my 41 mag Marlin that is plenty for any critter I will ever stomp about looking for.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Super Moderator

...............There was a video (YouTube?) of a big ole boy in bib overalls shooting (once) a .416 in an Encore. You could see him standing there and he turns and says something to the guy with the camera, then he looks back downrange. At the shot the pistol simply disappears out of his hands

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Cast Boolits Owner

The one I saw was a 600 N.E. that flew out of the guys hand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o14ikCTeVo

Here is one with a .416
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJ5b-1PFjA
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I've got a Rigby in the Ruger 77 Mark II Magnum, it's a heavy rifle, never weighed it, but it's gotta go 10 pounds not loaded or scoped. I do enjoy shooting 45-70 powered plinkers, and would shoot elk or moose with it, I've only shot maybe 50 full house rounds with R-22 in triple digits with 400 grain partitions.
    If you can handle one of those loads without lying in the corner for a while, out of an Encore (I've shot Encore's and have owned a couple so I know how they handle recoil) I sure as hell don't want to p*** you off. The big Ruger handles them fine, with the complimentary headache after 10 or so rounds with an appropriate 4.5" plus eye relief scope.
    I think a cheapy scope with a short eye relief might just behead someone. It'd be an interesting UTube video though.
    If it were me and looking to shoot some cast out of an Encore I wouldn't buy the Rigby, unless you have brass. A 50 round lot of Norma Rigby brass will cost you as much as the barrel does. I tear came to my face last winter when I ruined one.

Boolit Master

One of my friends has a Encore with the 15 inch pistol barrel in .375 H&H magnum Ackley Improved. We were getting about the same velocities with it that you'd expect out of the standard H&H out of a rifle with 300 grain bullets. It was a custom barrel with a good brake, and it wasn't too bad to shoot. I once had a Encore 15" barrel in 45/70 without a brake, and with the 500gr. Lee cast boolit with Ruger level loads, it was MUCH worse.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I've pretty much talked myself out of the .416 Rigby barrel. Too much recoil, cases are too expensive, and way more power than I'll ever need. Thanks for all the input!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    Yep,,, and I agree with Missionary's practicality. Or even a .411 JDJ if you want something in that .40 class. Still hard to beat a .45-70 for a good thumper though.
    Dave
    Dave

444 marlin will do all you want in a TC. Brass is a wee bit cheaper also