Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: smashing 40's into 44's using stuff I had on hand

Boolit Master

smashing 40's into 44's using stuff I had on hand

I have been reading about smashing 40's into 44's using dies, so I have more time then money right now so I figured out how to do it with reloading dies I had on hand. Tried them at the range this mornig and got 3" group at 50yrds ( AT 7am the sun was in my reddot scope). I just wanted to see if they were going to stick in the barrel. LOL.

It wasn't hard I used a craftsman 7mm deepwell 1/4" drive socket (compound beveled the socket end) to expand annealed 40 cases. Stuck in a Berry's 148gr plated HBWC (hollow forward of course). Smashed it into the case with Lee expander die (useing small expander). Then ran it trough the Lee .431 sizer die. Then used the ram from the Lee push through sizer to push the slug up into a RCBS 308x1.5 sizing die(with decap assembly removed) to form the ojive/hollow point. then run through sizer again. Viola! 200gr .431 brass jacketed hollow point.

Moderator Emeritus

WOW, that's clever.
    I'm not sure I followed the entire string of steps.
    Maybe next time you do this,
    break it up into steps and take a photo of each step.
    lots of clever Ideas
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    OK here it is,

1)anneal entire case in propane tourch
    2)Take 7mm craftsman deepwell socket (ground down on socket end) Lube socket end with case lube.

Attachment 25110

and insert in cooled case. Place case and socket in .40S&W shell holder in lyman turet press. turn press head to a flat area between dies.

Attachment 25111

3) Smash socket into case, expanding to .446. Turn turret head to open die spot. Raise socket above die head. Grab socket with pliers. Lower ram removing socket from case.
    Attachment 25112

4) Insert Berry's .357 plated HBWC, hollow up.
    Attachment 25113

5) Use Lee expander die to smash lead into case. Use either small expander for a narrow deep HP or large expander for Wide shallow HP.
    Attachment 25114
    Attachment 25115
    6)Place smashed lead/case in Lee push through .430 sizer and size.
    Attachment 25116

7) Put sizer ram into turret ram and place sized swaglet on ram. Run into .308x1.5 sizer die(with deprimer removed). To give it an ojive.
    Attachment 25117
    Attachment 25118
    I then run it through the sizer once more.

Boolit Master
    Target from this morning. 7am, sun in eyes. Top 2 holes are Lee 240gr SWC GC (250gr WDWW hornady GC) Bottom two 215gr swaglet. Both Over 10gr unique. FC cases. Win LP primers.
    Attachment 25119

Sorry, it won't expand. Sent it from my phone to my puter.
    Last edited by NSP64; 09-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Very cool. I have a friend that is doing something simular. He has a 450 bushy and he is using his reloading dies to make the bullets. He is using a bottle neck FL sizing die (I think its the .243 FL die) to run the cored case up and where the bottle neck starts, that forms his ogive and brings some lead out the tip. Then he chucks the head of the case into a drill press and while the bullet is spinning, he holds sandpaper to the tip to form it. They look just as good as any bullet I seen.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    <snip> Then he chucks the head of the case into a drill press and while the bullet is spinning, he holds sandpaper to the tip to form it. They look just as good as any bullet I seen.
    Keep in mind that lead dust is produced in a process like this. I'm not going to argue about how harmful it is, but I think we can all agree that it is not healthy.

Just food for thought.

jonblack

Boolit Buddy

Yes, lead can be harmful. When sanding lead the particles generally do not float around in the air like rust does when you sand it. but be mindful that lead is being stirred up and thrown around.

Boolit Master
    My .243 Win. Die wont let my bullets expand beyond .451".
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    My .243 Win. Die wont let my bullets expand beyond .451".
    That's what you want for a .45 cal. bullet. Too small for a 45 long colt though. Are you wanting .452?

Boolit Master
    I ment to say .450. They drop through a lee .451 sizer.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a cheap lee .243 sizer die from midway I then chopped the top off of it right at the top of the ogive. You then can see when you are right at the point you want to stop pushing the ram. You can also slice off some of the lead if it came squirting out too far with a knife or file.

Boolit Master
    I set the depth by going 1/2 turn too far, funny shaped point, then back off. Still cant get above .450.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I set the depth by going 1/2 turn too far, funny shaped point, then back off. Still cant get above .450.
    Who made the sizing die? aneal it real good, red hot, use super soft lead. try bumping the nose on a flat surface with the press. it might get you a thou that way