RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacement Powder for Discontinued AA-8700; very slow stabe burn at low PSI ?

Boolit Grand Master

I fall in line with Bret. I can't quite figure why I want to burn 30-50 gr of powder to
    do what I can do with 10 gr of Unique or 16 gr of 2400 in most rifle cartridges.

I must say, my rifle cast boolit experience is about 2% of my pistol experience, so maybe
    I just am not seeing the advantage. I'm also a pretty cheap guy when it comes to making
    plinking/for fun ammo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Dragging this up for the benefit of those considering WC860/870/872.

At the current cost of 16gr of 2400 vs 50gr of WC870, even with a kicker charge, it's pretty much a wash as to to the cheaper of the two.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

At about $6/lb for WC870 vs $25/lb for 2400 if you can find it I think that WC870 is cheaper. It does have the benefit of being able to find it at the moment
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I have a large number of one pound cans of H-870 which I use in 7mm mag loads with 160gr Nosler bullets. As I recall 79gr was "the load" with Federal 215 primers. Good accuracy and close to 3000 fps. I believe the aa8700 was similar to the H870.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Mold
    Is there anybody out there having load data for the 358009 boolit and aa8700 powder for the 35 whelen?

Boolit Master

All Load Data for AA-8700 on the Accurate Powder Web Site
    45-70 Load Data for AA-8700
    30-06 Load Data for AA-8700

(All are hot links and lead to .pdf files - I recommend saving what you need to your computer since they could take them off their web-site at any time.)

Anybody save the files? Or have anything 35 Remington and .308 specific
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Yep, WC-860, WC-872, or 5010PD...

I use them all, but the WC's are much easier to meter--5010 is like metering small logs--actually nearly impossible to meter...

I use the WC's in the 30-30, 7-30, 270, 6.8mm, and limited testing in the 308...

Pretty much unburned powder, but accuracy is good, quite good in the 30-30 and the 6.8mm SPC...

This link, already posted, will let you read about the properties of the above mentioned...

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel...ategory=Powder

I like 'em, especially the price and the ease of using--mostly just fill the case to the base of the boolit...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Mold
    Just ordered this powder for use in my 44 magnum pistol.
    With no reloading components available, I will create my own load data.
    I'll send some data when I get to the range.

Boolit Master

long dead discussion thread

hey new guy, welcome aboard!!!!

An FYI this thread began it's life in 2010 and it is almost 5 1/2 years since last active. Not that bringing a long dead thread back to life is a bad thing...but Ya just gotta be aware that some of your search results may be dated and of no general interest.

for what it's worth, most all of us have unknowingly done it, at least once.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM! View Post
    Just ordered this powder for use in my 44 magnum pistol.
    With no reloading components available, I will create my own load data.
    I'll send some data when I get to the range.
    Ahhhhh, what powder did you just order for your 44 Magnum

BCB

Boolit Master
    I inherited a 25lb jug of 5010 pull down powder and not having anything to use it in I decided to try it in my 358N with cast. I started with a case full and a 206gr cast. It shot ok with very low pressure but had a lot of partial burned powder. Then I used a small booster charge of aa9 replacing an equal amount of 5010. I worked the aa9 up to 7gs and the 5010 down to 69grs for a velocity of 2365 and a clean burn. I also have used the 358009 with 7grs of bluedot and 65grs of 5010. I didn't get a velocity with this load and I haven't done a serious accuracy test with either but both seemed at least ok. As the 5010 was free, and I am cheap, 5010 is the powder for me. I believe it is close to the 870.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123