Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Powder for Discontinued AA-8700; very slow stabe burn at low PSI ?

Boolit Buddy
    You might find this powder chart useful. I fund it easier to compare the chart than a list.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...Rate_Chart.jpg

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    "Like someone up there in NY, I was just cheap to use that much powder to get those velocities and figure it probably fouled more."

Moi?
    Check my post #8 Paul, I'm the cheapy.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by c3d4b2 View Post
    You might find this powder chart useful. I fund it easier to compare the chart than a list.

How do we make that chart big enough to read?

Quote Originally Posted by c3d4b2 View Post

Does that chart read accurate across or only down the brand name vertical line?
    Just doesn't look correct. Then whats with Hodgdon? Shows H4198 as faster than Lil Gun and H4227. On the Hodgdon web site chart IMR and H4198 are next to one another.

Boolit Buddy
    How do we make that chart big enough to read?
    It is a picture. on my browser I left click on the picture and it enlarges. I can also hold down the control key and use the mouse wheel to enlarge shrink the size.

Does that chart read accurate across or only down the brand name vertical line?
    The chart is from Lapua and should be reliable for comparing powders. I would not use it for load development.

Then whats with Hodgdon? Shows H4198 as faster than Lil Gun and H4227. On the Hodgdon web site chart IMR and H4198 are next to one another.
    From what I have seen, the burn rate of powders varies from lot to lot. It may be simply a mater of the lots of powder used when the testing was performed. I have used quite a bit of Reloader 15 over the years and have seen the burn rate of the powder vary from different powder lots.

From my understanding of the intended use of the chart.... If the powders are in the same horizontal proximity on the chart they have a similar burn rate. For example, If I am looking for RL15 and none is available I can scan the chart and see N140 and Varget are similar powders. Once I know the powders to l can look at the load information in the various manuals to determine the loading information.

Boolit Mold
    Turbo 1889 I am a day late and a dollar short in getting the AA8700 data from The Accurate site could you put it in a email and send it to meerrden@comcast.net I also need to know if the 30 06 loading will reliably cycle an M1 Garand. My son in law bought one and wants to shoot a lot so I told him we could crank up my Dillon 650 and do it up right.. There are a lot of good suggestions here what is the easiest way to collect them in one listing? I shoot most of the calibers listed so any specific loads done since the postings would be appreciated. I used to use H870 for 45/70 and still have some and some cast 405 and 500 gr. laying around. Will have to find some empties as all of mine are full. We fire the same calibers so I am greatly interested in your results with the 50 BMG powders. Email me.

Boolit Master

Me too!!

I, too am late to the party for AA8700 info for 30-06. I very recently acquired some in a bunch of powder I bought and was wondering what to do with it. Please PM me.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master
    Hi-tech ammo has new production 5010 and over on the 50cal site I visit, they say it is a bit faster than the surplus stuff (reduce by 5%). That might work for you. $74/8lbs. Its a coarse stick powder.

Just buy the WW872 @ Wideners for $49/8lbs.

It's not quite as good as the old H870, but it's close enough.

In Remembrance

WC860 is almost identical to AA8700 in my loadings. GI brass and Pat's Reloading both have it for less than $10 per pound. Excellent powder for cast boolit loads in most military calibers and J-word in 6.5X55

Merrden, you should have an e-mail with a whole bunch of .pdf file attachments in your mail box.

Whisler, I can't attach .pdf files to the PM system. Please PM me with an e-mail address for you.

As to the current status of this project for me: The mil surplus powders are working but I don't get as good of ignition with them as I used to get with AA8700 so I have been using a starter charge of a couple grains of R-7 in the bottom of the case with the mil surplus on top. I, of course, take care to ensuring that the top powder is dumped in carefully so that it stacks on top of the lower charge instead of mixing with it and am using tightly compressed loads to ensure no powder migration. R-7 is a pretty slow burning powder to use for an ignition starter charge in a duplex load but I did that deliberately because I still want to preserve the low pressure burn characteristics.

I just gotta ask.....

How the heck can you guys get powder so cheap?

Wow! up here, most of it runs near $30/lb

I think Ammomart has it cheaper, but you have to buy 100 lbs at a time

Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    As to the current status of this project for me: The mil surplus powders are working but I don't get as good of ignition with them as I used to get with AA8700 so I have been using a starter charge of a couple grains of R-7 in the bottom of the case with the mil surplus on top. I, of course, take care to ensuring that the top powder is dumped in carefully so that it stacks on top of the lower charge instead of mixing with it and am using tightly compressed loads to ensure no powder migration. R-7 is a pretty slow burning powder to use for an ignition starter charge in a duplex load but I did that deliberately because I still want to preserve the low pressure burn characteristics.

Turbo: is R-7 known for ease of ignition?

anybody still using western 5744
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Bub

AA8700 Replacement

Hi,
    Interesting and informative posts!
    Would the WC- 872 work with the 180gn srp GC Rcbs boolit at 100yds in an '03?
    Full case compressed lightly? I'd like to keep the pressure down and speed @ 1500 fps.
    What kind of recoil off the bench?
    Just starting with smokeless & cast in the long guns. I also shoot 45-70, and 38-55, so far with black.
    Comments,Loads used?
    Thanks,
    Ringer / Leo

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Turbo: is R-7 known for ease of ignition?
    Within its burn rate range and powder type properties, Yes. Are there other powders that ignite better then R-7 does, Yes. But they don't offer the same stability and linear non-exponential burn curve within the same pressure range and burn rate that R-7 does. R-7 is very pressure spike resistant within a fairly wide range. This combined with its stable burn and reliable ignites at low pressures is why I chose to use it as a duplex load ignition booster charge in this kind of particular situation.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    R7 is an EXCELLENT choice for a small granule main powder primer extender. The primer extender powder should mimic the physicals of the primary powder as closely as possible. For 5010 primary and their lookalikes, you might consider 4759 instead. 5744 prolly would give a little too much umph because of its nitroglycerin content (20 percent!). However, it might be OK in below freezing weather, and adjusted a little lower than for 4759. Of course, others can be used if care is taken to assure loading (and traveling) consistency. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold
    I just came into possession of two cans of AA8700 and the links to the AA site are no longer valid. Does anyone have any actually load data saved on this powder, esp. for the 30-06, any info would be helpful....thanks.........ching

Boolit Master
    MrChaChing, I have a pdf version of AA data from 2002 that has 30-06 load data with 8700 for 200 and 220 gr j-bullets.

BUT!!!! It also has 8700 data for cast ! ! ! for 152RN, 180RN, and 210RN indicating a CC250 primer used.

Start and Max charge weights for all 3 boolit weights are 54.0/~1845 to 60.0/~2000.

Even though I am posting this as I see it int the manual -- use it at your own risk.

Again, this is from the 2002 AA Load data on pdf.

I'll try to get a print screen of that page and post it.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast