Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .577-450 MH loads

Quote Originally Posted by camerl2009 View Post
    from what i seen that most people use a black powder measure
    like the ones used for muzzleloading. i will measure it with a BP measure
    and then put it on the scale and see how much it weighs
    That's what I use. I weigh out 85 grains of Fg on my scale. I pull the plunger all the way down on the measure, dump the powder in the measure, the run the plunger back up until the charge is level with the top. The I throw a few charges and weigh them on scale.

Actually its not really any different that what we normally do with a standard smokeless powder measure, which horrors, I also use with black powder.

By the way camerl2009 did I see you say some where you were in Canada? Are you bringing your Martini to the Victorian Rifleman Shoot in Alberta next year?
    Douglas, Ret.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Double D View Post
    That's what I use. I weigh out 85 grains of Fg on my scale. I pull the plunger all the way down on the measure, dump the powder in the measure, the run the plunger back up until the charge is level with the top. The I throw a few charges and weigh them on scale.

Actually its not really any different that what we normally do with a standard smokeless powder measure, which horrors, I also use with black powder.

By the way camerl2009 did I see you say some where you were in Canada? Are you bringing your Martini to the Victorian Rifleman Shoot in Alberta next year?
    idk im way down in southern ont maybe i can and knock off my bison hunt
    all at the same time

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    COW lists a load for 400gr boolit and 38gr of IMR4198 for 1450 FPS. This is just for your info as I have never tried it.
    I loaded up 20 rounds of this with Puff-Lon filler and it shot very well. 12-14" high at 100 yards.

Boolit Mold
    On Friday shot 14 rounds with 405 gr. flat nose over 34 grs. IMR4198 and 6 with 512 gr. round nose with 32 grs. the same. Shot about 2 feet to the left at 200 yards. Cheap spotting scope didn't pick up the holes until too late, thought that I had missed target entirely.

So I've loaded my first 48 rounds of 577-450 today, cases are converted 24ga Magtech (converted by Martyn Robinson), I used 80 grains of FFG Vesuvit A1( our local FFG BP) filled the capacity (a lot of space left in the case and shoulder) with loose cotton(i hope i did not pack it too tight) milk carton wad, grease cookie and another milk carton wad, followed by bullet (CBE .468 480 grain bullet).

Wish me luck gentlemen, I hope I do not blow the old lady(and some spare body parts) up tomorrow

Good luck Mad. Let us know how it does. I'm right behind you in a similar load.

Roy
    Hooker53

Another approach is a 1160fps soft shooting load that has proven very accurate in my rifle is 20gn Green Dot under a 465gn PP bullet (lapped Lee 457-450 FP) in converted 24g brass. This is at 50 yds
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Well, I'm alive, the rifle is fine and all spare body parts are in place

I can't speak for accurancy because i can't aim properly until my keratoconus gets fixed.

No primer flattening, so i can go up with the load.

On the flipside the cotton fiber filler is realy not fun when the wind blows it back at you

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Another approach is a 1160fps soft shooting load that has proven very accurate in my rifle is 20gn Green Dot under a 465gn PP bullet (lapped Lee 457-450 FP) in converted 24g brass. This is at 50 yds
    I'm using 15gr of 700X with 2 square's of toilet paper to fill the case

Boolit Master
    I had mountain molds cut me a mold for it... It casts right at 0.472 I think.. I don't think they will go that big any more...

Mine is a big plain base design - casts right at 520 grains...

With a small charge of Trail boss - it runs about 850-ish FPS... I had absolutely no trouble beating the tar out of 300 yard gongs... You wouldn't think it would do it and stay stable.. but it sure did... Put it on target and it made nice round holes....

Sounded like a kid's pop-cork gun going off... but hit that plate like a car.....

Fun fun fun...

I tried a box of 475 Linebach commercial cast bullets - 300 or so grains LFN if I remember right... They keyholed so bad that you couldn't keep them within 30-FEET at 200 yards... You could literally watch them go whizzing hither and yon sideways in these crazy circular arcs... I think they were just way too short and slopey-nosed and would go sideways in that huge 8" long throat...

Thanks

Great Mad. That's a good report and will keep your load in mind in a few weeks/months ha when I get mine finished.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHamster View Post
    Well, I'm alive, the rifle is fine and all spare body parts are in place

I can't speak for accurancy because i can't aim properly until my keratoconus gets fixed.

No primer flattening, so i can go up with the load.

On the flipside the cotton fiber filler is realy not fun when the wind blows it back at you

One thing i noticed is that my grease cookie might be too thin (Vesuvit is a dry powder) i used 6mm cookie, I'll go with 8 next time.

The case throat has capacity for this and if it shows to be a problem i can use a shallower bullet seating. i used the "crimping" groove on the bullet as a guide now, but the cartridge has a shorter OAL compared to 50's production Kynoch cartridge i have at home

Success. WoW. I finished my 577/450 Mk V last night after 15 months on this refurb off and on. Shot it today. I think my shoulder will pop back in later. Lol. I used a paper patched 472-480 with 70 Gns of Jim S Gold FFg. It's shooting to the left about a foot at 50 yards or, I'm pulling off that much. Ha. I will post some photos later. I ended up with 20 enlays in this gun. The fun just keeps getting better around here. Ha
    Keep Shooting Gents.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooker53 View Post
    Success. WoW. I finished my 577/450 Mk V last night after 15 months on this refurb off and on. Shot it today. I think my shoulder will pop back in later. Lol. SNIP
    Roy
    Hooker53
    Now you know why the Brits often use a standing "bench" for shooting the large caliber rifles. I've been thinking of making a support which can be hauled to the range and placed on the bench to allow me to stand while shooting the M-H. I'm not as tolerant of heavy recoil @ 69 as I used to be.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Ed. That's a great idea and post a photo of what you come up with. I do understand what your saying about the recoil and I'm using a reduced load of 70 Gns at that. Ha. It is still a gas to shoot these big cannons though. Lol. Later my freind.

Roy
    Hooker53

I use my bog-pod for standing shots and find it very effective
    Von Gruff.

O.K I gotta ask, what's a bog-pod and why don't I have one.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

This is the bog-pod in use. (click the vid)

Von Gruff.

I like that, much steadier than a set of cross sticks.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Well. I had to wonder myself what a Bog-Pod was. That is cool. I think I might Haveto check into one of them. was that the 577 you were shooting in that Vid Von Gruff?

Roy
    Hooker53

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast