Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Silica Gel Desiccant packs??

Boolit Mold

Question Silica Gel Desiccant packs??

Hey folks, complete noob here. I just set up my reloading table and propped up a brand spankin' new Lyman #55 powder measure. I plan on stokin' her half full of 2400. Now, heres where my question comes in. I live in Miami and I feel the humidity in my reloading room, actually all over my apt. I was thinking I could throw in a packet of silica desiccant on "top" of my powder inside the #55 hopper, and another packet inside the actual powder can. Do you guys think that would be ok, or would that somehow not be a good idea around gun powder for some type of moisture reasons, like it might over dry the powder??

These are the packets Im talking about.

Thank you guys
    Last edited by Rice-n-Beans; 09-01-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Rice and Beans,
    I live over in Punta Gorda, the humidity is just as bad over here, maybe a little worse as we don't get the sea breeze like u guys do. I don't leave my powder in my Lyman 55 or any of my Dillons for any longer than it takes me to load. Once I finish my last round I put the powder back into the can and store it in a safe. Now in the safe you could use a large metal dessicant unit or a bunch of those little ones. But even back in the 70's when I lived in West Palm and my powder was bullsEye in cardboard I never had a problem with humidity. Just my humble opinion...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Do not put anything in with the powder, dessicant paks absorb moisture, that's true, but they eventualy leak moisture.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Mold
    Thanks WildmanJack, Im thinking that would be a better idea, just dump out the unused powder back into the can. Ill keep the lid closed tight on my can too.

I was thinking that maybe those desiccant pouches might over dry the powder in the hopper, and that might not work in my favor.

Thanks again WJ.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

+1 on the way WildmanJack does it! It's safer also. I don't want to rely on my memory as to what kind of powder in the hopper after a period of time has passed!!

Winelover

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Do not put anything in with the powder, dessicant paks absorb moisture, that's true, but they eventualy leak moisture.
    Thanks DragonRider, I'm scrapping that plan, I plan on dumping the powder back into the can. I don't want to ruin the powders composition.

EDIT:Winelover, I plan on takin' a trip to office depot and buying one of those hand label maker things, that way I could label my ammo boxes and hopper. I cant read my own chicken scratch, the label maker will make reading my labels MUCH easier.

Boolit Master

I do put those in my mould boxes though.....

Doug

Boolit Buddy
    Leaving powder in the #55 hopper for an extended length of time will discolor the plastic reservoir.

Boolit Buddy
    It will also soften the inside like chewing gum.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico1950 View Post
    Leaving powder in the #55 hopper for an extended length of time will discolor the plastic reservoir.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh54738 View Post
    It will also soften the inside like chewing gum.
    Thanks for the heads up. This is all great info for me since I'm new to the hobby.

Moderator Emeritus

Talk to your pharmacy, all their shipments come with great big versions of those little desicant packs that they are usually more than willing to give away. I get a couple a month when I refill prescriptions and rotate them in my gun safe and powder locker.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

You can reactivate the bybaking in a low temp oven for a few hours. See details here:

http://www.jakesmp.com/csd_silica_ge...tml#silicainfo

They can be reactivated numerous times. Get some humidity indicator cards to let you know when to reactivate.

http://www.jakesmp.com/csd_silica_ge...ica_005_M.html

Boolit Buddy
    What lgsracer said, but make certain to pre-heat your oven for 20-30 minutes before putting in the dessicant packs. Otherwise, the temps during pre-heat may rise high enough to melt the packaging that the dessicant comes in. Ask me how I know this.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have several 1 gal bottles that have been re dried MANY times over the last 35 years or so. Yes it still turns BLUE as it dries out on the designated COOKIE TRAYS

Take baby food jars fill 1/2 way with S J then drill several holes in the lid. Cover the top of the jar with a fine cloth and screw the lid back on. The jars are ALMOST indestructible in an ammo can full of moulds even with the handles on.

I've kept a Lee powder measure full of Bullseye for years now. That's the only powder that I ever put in that particular dispenser, so I'm not worried about it getting mixed up. I haven't had any problems. Naturally, since I live out int the desert, I don't need to worry about humidity here. If I were going to do that in a place like Miami, I'd probably tape a desiccant pack to the inside of the powder hopper lid & stick a moisture indicator card in there too. I wouldn't sit the desiccant pack down in the powder because I'd be concerned about it affecting the way that the powder meters out.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus