RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for Buffalo Barbie and Elk Hunting

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for Buffalo Barbie and Elk Hunting

Here's another round I have heard nothing but rave reviews on for Elk Hunting. Barbie is looking for something that doesn't have as much recoil as a 45-70 with 500 loads (which she shoots real well by the way )
    I have though never shot one or ever handle the .270 round. I hoping it has similiar recoil to a 308 with 150's.
    So all in all I know nothing much about the ballistic of this round.
    TIA,
    Duke

These are going for a fair price and if a horse rolls on them..... well a $750.00 loss is better than $1200.00 loss. lol
    New Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Control Round Feed.
    http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/a...%2070/M707.jpg

Caliber / Gauge 270 Win.
    Item Number 535109226
    UPC 048702114694
    Action Type Long Action
    Magazine Capacity 5
    Barrel Length 22"
    Nominal Overall Length 42 1/2"
    Nominal Length of Pull 13 3/4"
    Nominal Drop at Comb 1/2"
    Nominal Drop at Heel 1/2"
    Nominal Weight 7 lbs.
    Rate of Twist 1 turn in 10"
    Metal Finish Polished Bluing
    Wood Finish Satin Finish
    Stock / Grip Grade I Walnut

Here's a pic of the little woman. 5'6 115 pounds

Last edited by Just Duke; 10-22-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Duke I shot a 270 since I was a junior in HS until last year. I bought it because it was the flattest shooting non magnum caliber with enough punch to knock down a deer. I have killed whitetails from 200 yards to 10 yards and never had a problem. Never shot elk, but it has shot from chest to rear on a whitetail with winchester ammo made for thick skinned game (bought the wrong box). Never shot a 308 but it kicks a little less than a 3006 with 180 gr bullet.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the reply Joe. From what I recall someone said typical factory ammo was 140 grains around 2750 fps. I think. I would probably drop the load all the way down to the starting load and hopefully she would be good to go.

good place to start, I always used 150 grains just because it was the heaviest I could get, more knockdown. If your careful you can get upwards of 3k fps using the slowest burning powder listed.
    I have a cousin that worked up a load for his 270 rem 700 and have seen him put three shots in one hole you could cover with a dime at 100 yards.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

OK I see now. It's the speed that kills. That's fast for a 150. Most of my 30.06 loads I've done ran 165 grain around 2650 fps.

I guess she could take head shots too. I've seen her doing multiple head shot's with her M4 standing at the 200 hitting steel human silloette targets and hitting 90 percent of the time.

From the Hodgden site. 140 GR. SFT SP Hodgdon Varget .277" 3.280" 41.0 2623 44,300 CUP 43.7 2772 50,500 CUP

Been shooting a 270 Win in a Weatherby Vanguard for 33 years. Weatherby walnut stocks have that heal drop and high comb to enhance your recoil pleasure. Plus the thin barrel. I never could tell any difference between it and the 03's I used to shoot.

7mm-08 is a much more efficient round over a 270 Win. I'd deem it far more suited to a light gun. Ballistically the 7mm-08 with some of the new powders like RL#17 will push a bullet as fast as the old 270 Win loads of past glory. Close enough anyways.

For Elk in a 270 I'd stay with a 150 grain bullet for penatration. I very much like the old Hornady 150 grain flat base SP. 7mm-08 will even push a 175 grain GS over 2,500 fps. For Elk I think I'd stay with a 154 gr Hornady in a 7mm-08. but you'd ahve the big bullet option with a 7mm.

I've never used one of the 140 grain 270 bullets. If they aren't built heavier than the 130's they'd frag a bit fast for a big animal. In a 7mm-08 you can push a 145 grain Speer to 2933 fps per Alliant data but in a 22 inch barrel that will be high. 175 Grand Slam will go 2574 fps. The much beloved 7mm Mauser wasn't loaded up quite that fast. In a 22 inch barrel the 270 will drop at least 100 fps with most laods from a 24 inch barrel.

It's a pretty close call between 270 and 7mm-08. I just thought I'd try to frustrate you with many decisions.

Boolit Grand Master
    the 270's claim to fame is the 130 gr bullet
    I am sure speed is a contributing factor(heavily) in the 270's killing prowess
    it is quite capable of taking most NA game animals
    I have never had on but I do shoot model 70's exclusively and my featherweight is chambered in 280a.i.

Vendor Sponsor
    Duke,

All around excellent choice, caliber and rifle. Although I do consider the 270 to be on the light end for elk, there is no doubt that elk can be taken cleanly with the 270 with the emphasis on shot placement. Hit an elk through both lungs and it will die. Your choice of 140 gr is also a good one. For elk pick a stoutly built bullet such as a nosler partition, barnes TSX etc. I see Barnes is selling ready made ammo under the "vor-tx" lable. The 140s will keep much of the flat shooting performance that the 270 has been famous for with the 130 gr bullet and not have as much recoil as the 150s have.

ammohead

On Heaven's Range

Quite a few years ago, my wife killed a bull moose right in the tracks he was standing in, with a .270 Nosler 130-grain Partition from her Ruger 77, 200 yards....bang-flop, which is NOT the way moose usually die. (We were hunting caribou, but one doesn't look a gift moose in the mouth...right?)

I'll state that with a GOOD bullet and proper shot placement, the .270 will do just fine for elk
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Mold
    270 Winchester is an awesome cartridge. I have a Model 70 CRF Featherweight also. Favorite load is Barnes 140 gr TSX 53.9gr H4350 Fed 210M Norma brass. Get an avg. 2930 fps. Best 5-shot group is .437" at 100 yds. Light recoil and quick handling.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Quite a few years ago, my wife killed a bull moose right in the tracks he was standing in, with a .270 Nosler 130-grain Partition from her Ruger 77, 200 yards....bang-flop, which is NOT the way moose usually die. (We were hunting caribou, but one doesn't look a gift moose in the mouth...right?)

I'll state that with a GOOD bullet and proper shot placement, the .270 will do just fine for elk
    Holy smokes!

We got to fondle one of the Featherweights today. Real Nice! Claw extractor too!
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Im not a huge fan of the 270, I do like it to an extent but not enough to own one.

Have you looked at 6.8 SPC uppers for her M4. Nosler makes a 110gr Accubond that can be pushed about 2700fps out of a 20" barrel....seems like it would work. I know I would use my 6.8 on elk if I was hunting in timbers.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    Two words. Jack O'Connor.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I too never got the 270 bug. Ive allways marched to a differnt drummer and havent been without a 280 since my early 20s. But ballisticaly there about identical and ive killed lots of game with 140s out of a 280. I wouldnt hestiate for a minute to take one on a trophy elk hunt. Ive got a couple 280s but my featherweight is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I too never got the 270 bug. Ive allways marched to a differnt drummer and havent been without a 280 since my early 20s. But ballisticaly there about identical and ive killed lots of game with 140s out of a 280. I wouldnt hestiate for a minute to take one on a trophy elk hunt. Ive got a couple 280s but my featherweight is my favorite.
    I never got the .270 bug either Lloyd. I fiqure she would be able to shoot and be a litle more comfortable than her 45-70 with 500 grainer that just about tear her body parts off. It is a bit humerous to watch her hair go flying when she shoots it. lol

Duke,

As both a Model 70 fan AND a .270 fan...I think you made a fantastic choice. For elk, as long as you choose a well constructed bullet, I wouldn't worry too much about bullet weight. 130-150 will do her well, as long as she does her part.

Since you aren't quite sure what the .270 is capable of, here is a video of my dad shooting an average whitetail buck in at around 225 yards. The load was the old "Jack O'Connor Special". We chronographed it a few weeks ago at 3,100 fps. The shot takes place around the 2:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhZKnOEoSQ

Hi Duke, I'm a big fan of the Featherweight rifle but (you knew there would be one) I'm a little "old school" when it comes to cartridges.

You can have light & fast or heavy & slow, choose one. The .270 tends to rely on velocity and premium bullets to get the job done. A high velocity round at short range will make one-hell of a mess out of the critter. A lower velocity bullet (IMHO) works better at short range and at least as well at longer ranges, provided you know the ballistics rather than rely on a greater point-blank-range. A nice 200+ grain round-nose soft point idling along at 2400 ish fps carries a major thump.

IMHO: high velocity rounds are the #1 reason for the development of "premium" bullets.

Let the war of the cartridges begin...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast