Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: savage edge rifle

Boolit Buddy

savage edge rifle

I have been looking for a bolt action rifle in .223 (dont really like black rifles) for a couple of months. Not so much that I needed one for shooting, but needed somthing else to reload for. I was on a tight budget as this rifle would be just for shooting I have aquired some 223 that the brass is obstructed by a bullet. While my wife was shoping at the wal mart today, I wandered to the sporting goods section as usual. While I was looking at the guns I noticed that they had a savage in 308 for $279. I asked the salesman if they had one in .223 and after checking she replied that she did . This was the savage edge model not the stevens 200 with the gray stock that they usually have. I almost bought a stevens 200 a month ago, but I really didnt like the feel of the rifle, mostly the stock. The bolt seems a little better than the stevens 200 as well as the stock. I have not shot the rifle yet as i am now shopping for a scope for it. The rifle has a 1 in 9 twist with a nice looking sporter crown. Just wondering if anyone has had any expierence with this rifle? Also any suggestions on bullet weight for the 1 in 9 twist.

Boolit Master
    I had one of them a year or two ago and it shot really well but I sold it anyway as I had too many 223 rifles and got that one on a trade. Good loads can be had with 55 gr through 70 gr bullets for the 223. I have even shot some 75 gr match bullets in a 1 in 9 twist with excellent results but they will not handle the heavier VLD type bullets.

emorris, don't discount to Stevens 200. I have one in .308 with a 1 in 10 twist that is an absolute tack driver. A 168 Gr Berger with 44 Gr of N550 and I can shoot dime groups or less at 100. Academy just had a sort of "clearance" on em in either .270 or 7mm-08 a few weeks ago so I picked up a .270 for $179. Can't wait to get a scope on it and start hunting for some molds!

Boolit Buddy
    Armorer. Dont get me wrong,but I was not trying to knock the stevens 200. I have read alot about the rifle and most of what I read was postive feedback on how well the rifle performed. The stock was the reason that I did not get one. I looked at a couple of the rifles and both of the stocks on them looked rough. The seam where they were put together had burs and looked a little mismatched. I only have a few gunshops in my area,only one in the county I live in, so I would have to order one and take a chance that it would be better. I actually hope that the edge will shoot as good as others say the stevens 200 does
    Last edited by emorris; 09-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.