MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Starline brass cheaper

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Also, what the consensus on trimming 45-70 brass - necessary?
    That depends...are you shooting black powder?
    With BP, the case will shorten when fired the first time. If you full-length resize it you will recover most of the loss, but the case will never stretch enough to need trimming.

If you shoot brass (fireformed or resized) that is shorter than the chamber, you are likely to see leading in the throat. You can prevent that by fitting the case to the chamber, or by adjusting the bullet seating depth to leave a grease groove half exposed at the rim of the case mouth.

If you try paper patching with short brass, you will get paper rings left in the chamber.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

If Starline makes the caliber I need It will be the only new brass I buy. I just wish they made 7.62x54

Boolit Master
    Like nicholst55 said, for 45-70 brass you pretty much need to anneal new Starline before use - especially when using black powder - so you can get consistent neck tension. There is also a noticable variation in case capacity when comparing Win, Rem, and Starline. I shoot a lot of Starline in my 45-70's and have always been pleased. I have found the most "issues" and variations with my Winchester 45-70 brass (some don't even want to fit my RCBS and Redding shell holders.)

I also shoot a LOT of 32 Mag and there it's been either buy Federal ammo or Starline brass and I don't like the factory ammo price. I have never had to throw a defective Starline 32 case for any reason and I can't say that about the few Federal brass I've acquired.

Do you shoot any odd calibers - try ordering your 50-70 govt or 50-90 Sharps brass from Win or Rem. Starline certainly helps us odd balls with our unusual toys...

Thanks Starline - I like your products.

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

It is high quality stuff, too.

Boolit Master
    There flash holes have expiration dates.

Boolit Master
    I can recycle expired flash holes. They can also be traded in on lube grooves.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Bought a few hundred Starline 10mm brass and it is the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of using. Never a problem with Starline.

Boolit Master

Another satisfied customer here. Ordered direct from factory. That's the only brand of brass I plan on buying.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I can recycle expired flash holes. They can also be traded in on lube grooves.
    There he goes again......

Gear

Boolit Master
    I purchased a batch of Starline .44 mag brass about a year ago and sized and loaded it. I didn't know that I should have annealed it. And all of this time, I could have been getting 1" at 100 yds with my Ruger SBH

I'll pay attention to the tips about annealing Starline beginning with the 45-70, and will search for forum about how to anneal. My .44 brass has all held up well, and I've managed to get 2" groups at 50 yds with a red dot on some days which I've been happy with. Would it still be beneficial to anneal the .44 after it's been used several times? Is annealing redone periodically? Sure I'll find out more with a search.

Thanks
    Randy

Boolit Master
    I'm not a happy Starline customer! I used Starline .454 Casull brass and loved it, still have enough .357 Mag Remchester that I don't need to buy new yet, but my biggest beef with Starline is that they DON'T make .357 Maximum brass!!!!! Why not, it would sell well and I'd be a happy customer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Would it still be beneficial to anneal the .44 after it's been used several times? Is annealing redone periodically? Sure I'll find out more with a search.

Thanks
    Randy
    You can anneal any time prior to the neck splitting.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I've heard of the annealing being most useful on black powder cartridge shooting especially at long range. Anneal to get a more consistent neck tension which gives a more uniform bullet release. The BPCRs rainbow like trajectory can be seriously affected by variations in muzzle velocity which results from variations in neck tension.

While the same line of reasoning would apply to handgun shooting, the effect would likely be much less noticable.

I have annealed all my Starline brass that I shoot in my black powder cartridge rifles but I have not done any annealing of my Starline pistol brass.

I understand that many of those that serioudly compete in long range BPCR shooting - 800, 900, & 1,000 yards - anneal between every loading. They build special machines for this degree of annealing.

When I anneal I simply use a hand torch and a pail of water. This technique has served me well.

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    Ward - since the 45-70 is known for the rainbow trajectory, perhaps annealing would help at its longest effective range. Sounds like an opportunity for an experiment -- perhaps 20 cases annealed and 20 not and see if I can find a difference.

I am going to have fun with my new toy (1895)

Boolit Master
    Yes, why not? The premise is good and it's always fun to have a project to be working on with shooting and reloading along the way. Good Luck.

Ward

I am not a happy starline user- my 380 throws their brass everywhere so I seem to loose alot of it. Outside of that, I"M HAPPY with starline brass.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get you.

Boolit Grand Master

Should have ordered the 'short range brass'

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to read so many nice comments on Starline brass.

Wasn't familiar with it at all until I found some last year that my Dad had bought for his .44 Magnums.

I was hesitating about buying some .45-70 to try out Granddad's 25-cent 1884 Trapdoor Springfield with - now it's a done deal.

Nice that they put the note about annealing the case necks on the website.

Note that you only want to anneal the necks - NOT anywhere close to the base, or you would create a very hazardous situation. Heating the necks evenly to 750°F and standing them up in water should do it. If you drop the heated cases in a bucket of water, you will probably make them harder. They need to cool fairly slowly.

Boolit Master
    Heating the necks evenly to 750°F and standing them up in water should do it.
    Saw an article where someone put their cases in water about 2/3 of case length deep, leaving the top exposed They said this assured that only the necks would be annealed. Has anyone here tried this method?

Boolit Master
    I use several calibers of Starline brass and have alwats been satisfied. My only complaint is that their .41 Long Colt brass is absurdly expensive.