WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shoot pure lead .457-.458 down a .452 barrel?

Boolit Master

Shoot pure lead .457-.458 down a .452 barrel?

This is a black powder revolver.

What if if I shoot pure lead/soft bullet sized to the .457-.458 cylinder chamber dimensions down a barrel that is .452?

A bit of underbore was not much of a concern but .005-.006 is more than I've ever seen.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Are your cylinder chambers that large, or are you thinking that they are because of the recommended ball size?

The chambers are usually several thousandths smaller than the recommended ball size so that the ball will be a press fit. Mine actually shave lead when seating the .454" balls, and are a tight fit. This prevents the balls in unfired cylinders from moving under recoil, helps prevent chainfires, etc.

With pure lead, or very soft alloy, I doubt it would matter. BP pressures are relatively low, and unless you're shooting ffffg, it shouldn't be a problem.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I have two 38-55 rifles, one is .377 and the other is .380, I use .381 in both over 3fg. No problems.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately they really are that large. A .457 RB will go in with almost no pressure. A bullet sized to .457 can be pushed in with your fingers. In order not to get into a bullet jump situation I think I would have to size the bullet at .459 and squeeze it into the chambers.

So far, the folks I've talked to that know more about this than I do have said that there is no problem sending a soft lead .457 bullet down a .452 barrel.

Banned

What make revolver is it?

Black powder revolvers do not require sizing. As you load the ball in the cylinder, it will be swaged down to the proper size. Don't give it to much thought, if it fits the cyl. it will not be to large to shoot unless someone bored the cyl. larger.

Banned

that's an odd size combination. even the old rugers were made to take a 454 sized ball/boolit in thier old 44.
    the worst that could happen is some lead splitting and maybe a bit higher pressure.
    if you were to use a hard alloy then pressure would raise enough to think about.