RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38 special, 100 grain wadcutters

Boolit Mold

38 special, 100 grain wadcutters

I'd like some loading data for the 100 grain wadcutter. I've found lots of data for a 90 grain bullet, but nothing specfic to the 100 grain wadcutter. Thank you!!
    Stay Safe!!!

Boolit Master
    Use data for the 110 gr bullet. There are enough 110's out there that the data should be close enough.. Personally, I'm using 5.1 of SR 7625 with a 110 LSWC in a model 1894 carbine and am getting 960 ish fps. In a pistol it should be down in the high 700's to low 800's I would think. Bullseye is listed at 4.6 for a max load, it is likely safe to load Bullseye to about 3.5 gr as a starting load for the 100 wadcutter.

Boolit Master
    Now your talking my language. 100 grain wadcutters are just fun!!
    I load as low as 2.0 grains bullseye for about 450 fps. Very accurate and its like a 22.
    You can shoot them like that indoors at rats in the barn and what not. They will not penetrate the metal but will thump a rat silly.
    That is for a revolver. The bullet might get stuck in a rifle barrel loaded that light.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

You didn't mention what powders that you have available. I doubt that you are looking for full power loads for the 100 gr wadcutter. You might want to use the starting load for the 90 gr -5% and work your way up.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Many years back I used to put a Lyman GC upside down in the front driving band of a 358477. It then cast a nice little 100 gr WC. The GCs were put in the mould with tweezers and easily flicked off the cooled bullets for reuse. I also used Bullseye in the 3.5 -4 gr range for around 800 fps out of my 5" M15. Accuracy was my criteria and out to 25 yards they were deadly on squirrels and rabbits. I then aquired a 4 cavity 148 gr WC mould and gave up on the lighter weight WCs. However, I do extensively use the Lee 358-105-SWC over 4.7 gr of Bullseye for 1025 fps out of that same 5" M15 with 1 - 1.5 " accuracy at 25 yards.

I think 2 gr of Bullseye would be a good starting load and work up to 4.5 gr. Watch out for bullets stuck in the barrel with the lighter loads as lwknight mentions.

Larry Gibson