Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Relining and rechambering a .32 rimfire

Banned

I'm still working so I can buy the better liner, it's about a hundred bucks shipped. Still gotta come up with a chamber reamer for .22 LR and headspace gauge from Brownell's, that'll be about another $50 shipped. Bear with me, it'll get done eventually. If I get time tonight, I'll post some more pics of the WIP.

Thanks for looking,

Gear

Boolit Master

Mk42gunner, When you take your mod. 12 apart watch for a small part between the barrel and slide at the action, very easy to lose. Falls out when the slide is taken out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the reminder, John. I took it apart once when I first got it, so I could clean all the grungy gunk out of it. I found disassembly instructions somewhere on the internet. I do remember that it was not simple to do.

Question on removing the barrel, is it screwd in or pressed in? Or is it even necessary to remove the barrel from the action to drill it? It almost looks like a drill would clear the top of the action.

This is at the very least a few months down the road, probably a few years to be honest about it.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, John. I took it apart once when I first got it, so I could clean all the grungy gunk out of it. I found disassembly instructions somewhere on the internet. I do remember that it was not simple to do.

Question on removing the barrel, is it screwd in or pressed in? Or is it even necessary to remove the barrel from the action to drill it? It almost looks like a drill would clear the top of the action.

This is at the very least a few months down the road, probably a few years to be honest about it.

Robert
    Barrel is screwed in and it is best to take it out for lining.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks John,

I would rather ask a question beforehand than make an "Oops I might have screwed up" post.

Robert

Banned

OK, finally wrangled up the funds and confirmed with Mike Sayers of TJ's liners, I'll be sending him a check tomorrow for one of his liners.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 12-19-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: correct misspelled name

Banned

Got the liner in, nice piece of work! Mike Sayers is a great fellow to work with over the phone, anybody that's doing their own relining job should talk to him about the parts.

Also got a Manson .22lr finish reamer from Brownell's and a fresh bottle of red Loctite. Tapered the liner and peened the muzzle last night for a good fit, I'm going to put it together this morning.

Gear

Banned

I chickened-out on the Loctite, used Acraglas instead and I'm sure glad I did. The grooves were a bit deeper than the .3215" drill bit and some remained, plus there were some eroded places in the old throat area that left some voids to be filled, I think the Acraglas did a better job of filling all the excess, plus I mixed plenty of it and had lots of time to slowly push the liner down the barrel making sure it pushed a good wave of Acraglas in front of it and had a good stream being carded off by the breech. I precoated the bore with a TiG rod and small, loose patch using several passes to slather a good coat inside. Looks good so far!

Gear

Banned

Time for some pics, the receiver and all the small parts are being reblued, more pics when I get it back together. I did test fire five rounds through it before final disassembly for refinishing. Note the muzzle, no seam.

Gear

Nice! Thanks for the commentary.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Looks nice

Banned

Thanks, John, it shoots nice, too! Thank you again for sharing that little trick of the trade, it sure made a difference in the outcome of my project.

Gear

Boolit Mold
    John, That method of hiding the muzzle seam works like a charm. I just finished my very first barrel reline on a Winchester 1890 and I'm amazed. I can't see a trace of liner at the muzzle.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Any tricks for hiding the breech end?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjack View Post
    John, That method of hiding the muzzle seam works like a charm. I just finished my very first barrel reline on a Winchester 1890 and I'm amazed. I can't see a trace of liner at the muzzle.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Any tricks for hiding the breech end?
    There is but I already gave away to much.

Boolit Mold
    OK... I understand keeping trade secrets from an amateur

I've experimented with a slight flare to the breech end of the liner and tapping it into the barrel just shy of flush and then filing enough to just skim the barrel surface and polishing with 320 grit. It hid the surface seam nicely. I'll ream the chamber after the liner is installed. It may still show at the extractor cut out though.

Am I close?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjack View Post
    OK... I understand keeping trade secrets from an amateur

I've experimented with a slight flare to the breech end of the liner and tapping it into the barrel just shy of flush and then filing enough to just skim the barrel surface and polishing with 320 grit. It hid the surface seam nicely. I'll ream the chamber after the liner is installed. It may still show at the extractor cut out though.

Am I close?
    Very close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12