Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New 1874 Sharps advice???

Saz, All of this personal stuff in this thread aside, have you had your questions answered??? I am 100% in the camp of buy American and support our craftsmen here. I have seen the Big Timber rifles and Pedersoli rifles. No question the BT ones are far and above the highest quality. I thought of buying the Italian one but just couldn't get past the non American label. I knew that I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get a BT one. I haven't regretted it since. I have not heard any bad experiences with Shiloh. C. Sharps treated me very well and their carftsmanship is first rate. I would say the only difference would be that Shiloh takes alot longer. That would be it. You won't find used ones alot cheaper because they are such fine rifles they hold their value very well. Unless you have specific options in mind you could probably get one off the rack there. You can always upgrad sights later etc. I live 600 miles from Big Timber and my wife and I made a nice road trip out of it. We flyfished and hiked around and had a blast. If you can make it stay at the Mission Creek Bed and Breakfast between Livingston and Big Timber. Eat at the Grand Hotel, it is the best food in those parts.

Boolit Master
    >>>BUT I DO SPEAK FROM 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS GAME.<<<

I have been shooting 45-70s since 1972. I have been working in manufacturing and engineering 42 years.
    You can define anything in quality absolutes. That may not be the best value in terms of fun per dollar.
    I am also sure I can have a better 1874 built than anything produced in Big Timber. All it takes is money. After that then what? You will then not have the so called best Sharps. What will you use as basis as the best. Cheering for the home team?
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    >>>BUT I DO SPEAK FROM 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS GAME.<<<

I have been shooting 45-70s since 1972. I have been working in manufacturing and engineering 42 years.
    You can define anything in quality absolutes. That may not be the best value in terms of fun per dollar.
    I am also sure I can have a better 1874 built than anything produced in Big Timber. All it takes is money. After that then what? You will then not have the so called best Sharps. What will you use as basis as the best. Cheering for the home team?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I completely understand everyone's opinions and respect them just the same. This reminds me of the same arguement I had with a friend of mine between 2 of my shotguns- I told him that my favorite side-by-side in my safe was a Stevens model 5100 in 20ga, and he was utterly offended since I have a rather nice 21 winchester field grade in 12ga. I just like that little stevens, I dont know why. Maybe cause I know that it isnt as irreplaceable as the 21 or something- not that a fine pedersoli sharps isnt irreplaceable.

Now I am on one side I am all for supporting the american working man. I have been in the army for 15 years, and one thing that I AM is PATRIOTIC! On the other hand I am supporting my family on a single income until my son is at least in kindergarten, then my wife will go back to school and finish her masters etc........ Bottom line is my money is tight, and will be for a few more years. So I have been saving for a while and I need to make it go as far as I can.

Now I will tell you that I have bought a Pedersoli from a very nice gentleman who has almost bent over backwards in every way to help me out on the deal, to include holding on to it for a little bit until I raised the last bit of money. One more thing that helped me with the Italian vs BT gun, is that I sold a VERY nice Pedersoli muzzleloader to make money and room for the new (to me) pedersoli sharps. So out with one Italian, in with one. Seems fair to me- HAHAHA! I was looking for a used Shiloh for a long time, but nothing fit my price range or it wasnt what I wanted. And I knew what I wanted. High comb stock, pistol grip, shotgun style but plate, minimum 30" barrel and decent wood. This one has it all.

Now this will be my "beginner rifle" that I will probably cut my teeth learning on. Being an artilleryman by trade I LOVE hurling large projectiles at unreasonable distances. I am aboslutely ecstatic to start my new hobby, and I am SURE that I will be on here quit a bit looking for advice. Thanks to everyone on here for all the advice and opinions!

Shoot straight-
    Saz
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well Saz good luck and have fun with the new purchase.
    Be warned tho you're expenditures have only just begun...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ok, I cleaned up this mess a bit. You guys know better than this. Saz wants reasonable responses, not cheap shots.

Thread re-opened
    Last edited by waksupi; 10-05-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Saz, understand about the one income. Been there many years ago and I had to give up those things I enjoyed doing in order to attend to their needs. I'm sorry if I came off abrasive about the whole BT/Italian thing. I know no matter what rifle you have you will enjoy yourself very much. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    >>>There is a 45-70 uberti in town with half round half octagon 32" barrel on sale at the local sportsmans wharehouse, and the fit and finish seems really good.<<<

Check out photos of the various Ubertis. Some are made by Pedersoli and have the equivalent fit and finish.
    Some the Ubertis look like they were contracted out to the guys in the Khyber Pass. I have examined a few of the clunker Ubertis at guns shows where they invariably are priced about like the Pedersoli but are junky in comparison.
    EDG

"Saz, understand about the one income. Been there many years ago and I had to give up those things I enjoyed doing in order to attend to their needs. I'm sorry if I came off abrasive about the whole BT/Italian thing. I know no matter what rifle you have you will enjoy yourself very much. Good luck. "

Dont Sweat it. I completely understand where you are coming from, I really do. Money is just really tight and the last 5 years have not been perticularly easy on us.

EDG,
    I looked a lot closer at the uberti and it is a little clunky and doesnt fit together like it should. Not impressed to say the least.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123