MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: BPCrifle

Beekeeper

BPCrifle

Went to my second BPCR match this last weekend.
    Kinda fun to watch and looks a lot easier than it is.
    Know several of the shooters personally and know they are good shots so they kinda made it look easy.

Every one there had rifles that probably cost more than my entire collection so the odds of me getting one is rather small (one of three ,low , little , or none).
    Have a question for anyone that cares to answer tho.
    The rules as I read them state a single shot black powder rifle , no other specification that I saw in what I read.
    Is it possible to use a single shot bolt action rifle such as a 43 Mauser which was designed for black powder in a match?
    I have 2 of them and if can be used I would spring for a set of sights and give it a try (after several years of practice of course).

Jim

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If it's an NRA match no your mauser isn't qualified, altho some match directors may let you shoot it in the match but your score wouldn't count.
    Most of the buffalo match gong shoots would likely let you shoot it, in the match but you'ld need to ask the head hauncho at whatever shoot you went to about it.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

A summary
    Single shot rifles approved for use in BPCRS are those with an exposed hammer having been manufactured in the United States prior to 1896 and originally chambered for black powder cartridges of the era. Rifles may be originals or reproductions with a maximum weight limit of 12 lb. 2 oz. The rules specify twenty-six (26) designs that were either manufactured in the late 1800’s, or are modern improvements of original designs. Of the original designs, the Model 1874 Sharps, Winchester 1885 “highwall” (or Browning), and the Remington Rolling Block are the most popular. Following these are rifles by Ballard, Sharps 1875 & 1877 models, Remington No. 3 Hepburn, Stevens 44-1/2 and the Springfield Trapdoor.
    http://www.shootmagazine.com/getting...lackpowder.htm
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    What Don said is correct concerning NRA matches but there are a lot of matches that would let you shoot your bolt gun. The matches held at my club will allow just about any kind of rifle single shot or lever action that you bring as long as you are shooting lead bullets at black powder velocities. Our silhouette match I went to yesterday had 10 compeditors (a low turnout due to poor weather) as I recall there were three high walls, one ballard, four sharps 1874s, one Thompson Center rifle in 38-55, and one Winchester 1896 lever action. But I have seen other rifles including Sharps 1875s &1878, Winchester 1866, 1873, 1876, 1892, 1894, and 1895s. I have also seen a Remington Keen and a hosgkiss 45-70 bolt action rifles at these matches. As for a rifle to shoot in this sport you can buy at Cabellas a Sharps 1874 Hinting rifle made by perdersoli for under $1000 and it will shoot just fine for a begineers rifle. There are even less expensive rifles that qualify for NRA available on the used market for well under $1000 if you look around.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Jim, here are the 2 sets of NRA Rules for BPCR:
    Silhouette ... http://www.vc4hss.com/Air_Rifle/info...ette_Rules.pdf
    Target ... http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBoo...r/bp-index.pdf

Specific to your question:
    3.2 Black Powder Military Rifle - Any safe, original or modern production single shot or muzzle loading rifle,
    as issued for general service by the armed forces of any nation, having not less than a 3 pound trigger pull, with
    standard type stock and standard leather or web sling. Bolt action rifles are specifically not allowed. External
    alterations to the stock will not be allowed. The trigger must be typical to the rifle and not subject to accidental
    discharge. (See Rule 3.7.)
    Regards
    John

Heck Nick he can do better than that. Guns international there's a used pedersoli with one of the cheap tang sights for 799. Cabela's also has some left over pedersoli rollers in 45-70 for 599 right now.

Boolit Master
    >>>so the odds of me getting one is rather small <<<

Take note Big Timber cheer leaders.

And thanks for the Guns International tip. I am always looking for good deals on BPCRs.
    EDG

Always glad to help, even unnamed, unlocated strangers......

Go to matches let it be known you want to buy a rifle, how much you can afford. One should appear.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Wills,
    How do I get to shoot at Yaupon Valley?
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Wills,
    How do I get to shoot at Yaupon Valley?
    Show up with a rifle and 60 rounds of ammunition. (Or even without. First time I want to watch a match, someone said “If you had gotten here earlier, I could have loaned you a rifle and you could have shot the match”)

Matches are second and fourth Saturday except November and December when matches are only on second Saturday. This upcoming 9th and 10th is the club championship. Attendance should be high.

Here is the website, it has directions to the range.

http://www.yauponcreek.org/

Ironic, when I lived 100 miles from the range I got to at least one match a month. Now I moved and its less than 20 miles, I never seem to find time.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Thanks Wills
    I just bought some bullets to test. If I can figure out which mold I prefer I will have to order more bullets and a mold for long term use.
    EDG