Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you want a Taurus?

Unhappy So you want a Taurus?

This is the first 10 shots from my little Tracker 44. I thought it would be a nice little revolver. 44 mag power in a K-frame sized package. Well it is a nice package in concept, but it is just like every other Taurus I have ever dealt with- Junk... I don't think any amount of load development will rescue this one. Even if I cut the group size in half, it would still be unacceptable. That load of 22gr of 4227 over a cast 240 SWC has shot well out of every other 44 I have owned. I really did expect more. Hate that I bought the Hogues before I shot it.

I know some tout Taurus. I don't. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Ouch… That is really terrible. Where you shooting free hand or from a rest? What range? Any leading? I have only shot about four Taurus handguns two automatics, and two revolvers. Both autos had reliability problems and sloppy trigger pulls. However both revolvers shot quite well for me, granted one of them was a Judge and I only shot 410 shot shells.

25 yards from a rest, well forearms resting on the rail of my deck. This is my normal way of shooting. I have a pistol rest, but find it affects POI too much. No leading to speak of.

Boolit Master
    Well that’s too bad sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your revolver. Could it be a bad trigger pull? Perhaps a little action work would help. Now I don’t want to offend anybody but you did say that these where your “first” ten shots from this particular gun. I personally never judge my guns accuracy by the first ten shots or the first load. What works in one gun does not always work so great in another. If it was my gun I would go shoot it a bit more to get familiar with it. Dry firing practice also works wonders for me with DA revolvers.

Boolit Master

I had a tracker in 45LC a few years ago. It shot just as poorly as yours. I wasted a BUNCH of powder, primers, and lead, trying to get that *** to shoot. No more taurus guns for me!
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    On going joke here at home. My GC had an advanced CC class a couple of years back ran by Ken Hackathorn. Some type of discussion went on about the SW J frame. One fellow piped up he had the same only it was a Taurus. Mr Hackathorns comment was "Oh, I am sorry", lol.
    I have looked at a few but never bought one. As most things in life, ya get what ya pay for.
    jeff

Boolit Master

I have a Taurus 85. I won it in a pistol match. I didn't want it, but it shoots well and has given me no problems.

CDD

since it shoots so crappy do you want me to take it off your hands? price wouldn't be very high I assume afterall it's just a taurus.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

What he said. It looks like junk to me, sell it to me for a junk price

Well, luckily I only have about $250 in trade in it. I'll sell or trade it for somewhere in the $350 to $400 range.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried jacketed bullets through it? Sometimes ported barrels and lead bullets make for an unhappy combination.

I have a SS Tracker 44 and it shoots better than yours by quite a margin.

John

Boolit Master
    Just for grins I'd send a copy of that picture to Taurus and ask them about the "lifetime" warranty and can they fix it!

Couldn't hurt and you may come out a winner in the end.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Taurus Tracker in 41 mag (titanium) and it is my "go-to" gun for carry here in Alaska. Shoots just fine. (I have Rugers and a Freedom Arms, but the lightweight and fine shooting of the Taurus usually win when I go outdoors.)

Also have a Titanium 45 colt snubby that does well. I like the porting and ribber grips.

Get rid of it. I've never met a match shooter that is pleased with a Taurus. Their lifetime warrentee sucks. I know one shooter that had to wait nine months just to have a new hand sent.

Sorry you put out your good cash and come home with the ugly sister.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    So what were the boolits sized too .. and what are the cylinder throat diameters ? My old Colt New Service will throw .428 boolits all over the range... but load some .431 sized bolits and it will shoot as good as I can hold it. It would be good to see some facts.
    That is the first question I ask whenever starting a load development with a new revolver.
    I have a Taurus Tracker Titanium 41 mag and a SS model that both shoot as well as my S&W Model 57. The 2 357īs I have had both shot well. But then again I was careful to size the boolits to the revolver.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I've always been very satisfied with Taurus' warrenty service. Turnaround has always been under a month and is free compared to Ruger, for instance, where I have always had to pay.

Boolit Master
    I own six turus hand guns and they all shoot acceptable groups and I have had no issues with any of them. The only taurus I have owned that I was not happy with was a copy of a 63 Winchester semi auto rifle. It had some reliability issues. I fixed it my self and kept the rifle for awhile but really do not like semi auto 22 rifles much and ended up selling it.

When one is as bad as this one, no amount of load development will bring it to an acceptable level.

Bought a millineum pro a while back. Took it out with factory ammo and the dang thing stove piped every round and the firing pin would fail to strike the primer. I sent it to Taurus to fix it, on my dime and when they sent it back to me "fixed" they put a little note in with it that I shouldnt shoot reloads through the gun that it was not made for that!?!?!? (I was pissed to say the least). Took it out again with a different batch of factory ammo, same problem. Call and talk to them and they insist that I'm the only one with this problem and I keep breaking the firing pin firing reloads(What part of any of that makes any snce is beyond me) I take the dang thing out with reloads just to see what happens, same problem. so I just had a new firing pin made for it, gave it a tune up and it worked okay after that, no more failure to fires. I got rid of that thing as fast as I could though, I was and am discusted with Taurus.

On a neat side note you can use a S&W mod59 hi-cap mag in em if you cut a slot in the mag for the mag catch. That made for a neat toy after I got it fixed. Think it helped me sell the dang thing so quick.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    As I have said before, when you buy a Taurus, they come pre-broke, to save you time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!