WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun safe

gun safe

just purchased my first gun safe and ITS TOO SMALL!. i thought 48 gun safe was plenty but by the time you put a few guns and thousands and thousands of rounds in it, its too small. Either I need an ammo safe and a gun safe or I need to shoot more. May be a good thing my son in law sells safes, LOL.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Banned

Not all safes are advertised correctly or realistically. Some advertise that their advertised capacity is realistic. In the end, they will always be too small. Just buy good quality and keep adding them. You know, the "frequently shot" safe, the "pistol, document, and jewelry" safe, the "Shotgun" safe, the "ammunition cupboard", the "Antique and collectable" safe.............

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I never understood why folks put ammo in their safe...

Banned

ditto

MIne is more of a safety issue. Our fire department will not attempt to extinguish a fire where there are large quanities of ammo, any primers or powder. They cite saftey issues. In the reloading shop I have 20,000 primers and here at the house I have 25,000 primers and about 30,000 rounds of ammo. If they are contained in a safe they consider it safe to work. If I have a fire I want my fire department to respond and not just watch my home burn.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Bub
    I ran into the same problem when looking for a safe. I eventually decided to construct my own to my own dimensions. While its not made out of steel, it is made out of mahogany and is there mostly to keep honest people honest.

Fits everything like a glove!

Banned

That's why I said "ammunition cupboard", not safe.

I store my ammo (well, I won't ellaborate too much) in a fireproof place that is secure but not strongly contained as it would be in a traditional safe. And where it is, fire won't reach it until the sun consumes the earth.

Gear

Boolit Master

Talking

I have 5 safes and I am out of room just wondering where to put the 6Th one.

forget putting the ammo in the safe, just stack the ammo in ammo cans in the basement, putting the pointy end either towards the ground, or facing into the wall (which is dirt). as for the primers, those should fit easilly in the safe. if you do not have a basement, store the ammo in the garage or shed (as long as it is secure). ammo itself is not inherantly dangerous. besides, who on the fire department is going to know you have +-30k of ammo? and, if they actually do know about it, they will probably stay home anyways. by the way, NICE STASH!

Down here in Australia, a condition of retaining your handgun licence is that unloaded firearms in one safe, ammunition in another locked recepticle. There are heavy fines for not doing so and the risk of losing your licence and guns.
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I have 5 safes and I am out of room just wondering where to put the 6Th one.
    Ever think about building a walk in vault. I'm having a 10' X 10' one designed for my new retirement home I'll be building.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Yeah, we are thinking of building a walk-in closet out of concrete block with a steel door . . . also the safest safe is out of sight . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ron,and to make matters worse.Each bloody state is different!

Boolit Master

Talking

If I was to build a house a walk in safe would be one of the first things.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post
    MIne is more of a safety issue. Our fire department will not attempt to extinguish a fire where there are large quanities of ammo, any primers or powder. They cite saftey issues. In the reloading shop I have 20,000 primers and here at the house I have 25,000 primers and about 30,000 rounds of ammo. If they are contained in a safe they consider it safe to work. If I have a fire I want my fire department to respond and not just watch my home burn.

How do they know which houses have primers, powder or ammunition in them? How much ammunition is a large quantity?

Ammunition, powder and primers pose no danger to firemen in standard turnout gear. If your fire department really has this policy, then it is 1) not based on any true safety issue and 2) completely unenforceable.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    To our Australian pards, I see that y'all have some of the same stupid laws as we do. I know that yours goes a lot further though. It would be nice to find out what each person that votes for such laws enjoys doing for fun after work. Then be able to add laws to their fun time that makes it hell to enjoy. Boating would require they go to a 6 week survial school in case of being lost at sea. Golfing would require a 6 week course on safety and medical rescue. I wonder how long they would keep quite.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Just like a tool box, and a tackle box, items placed inside a gunsafe will expand to fit the area. So, all tool boxes and tackle boxes and gun safes are too small...

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Bullets in fires are not a big deal I think reason for is I have had them in fires before. I have a burn barrel and for some reason some 7.62/39s got in it yesterday they all went POP. They blew out the primers and the steel cases were blew apart right under necks one the three or four i found. Did not count the POWS but around 10-15 easy only danger I i see was from flying cases which since they were in a barrel the could only go up then land. Now I wonder about my ammo I have stored in ammo cans If they get hot enough to fire the rounds off inside would it be a large BANG or more like popcorn in the can?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Quote:
    Ever think about building a walk in vault. I'm having a 10' X 10' one designed for my new retirement home I'll be building.

Winelover

10 x 10 ft is going to be too small in a very short while
    Better make it bigger.

alfloyd

Boolit Master

Most newer homes (1980) on, that have a cement front porch, have such a room. The front porch is poured with the foundation and is just as deep as the basement. The porch is then filled in and poured on top. I have built many homes and it never fails to amaze me that the owner did not want this extra room. Check your blue prints and see if this is the case with your house. The foundation wall can be cut out and the fill taken out. Then you have a secret room. No windows. At least this is the case with a house with a basement.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast