RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fix for leaking Lyman 450 sizer

Success! (I hope)

I was on vacation this week so had time to work on the old 450. I wanted to replace the "Seal Plug O-Ring* 2990623" with something I could find locally, as a couple of others on this thread have done.
    The first O-ring I tried was the correct inside diameter but was too large outside diameter. This prevented the seal plug from seating in the bottom of the lubrisizer casting. Another O-ring from NAPA auto parts was a smaller outside diameter. This allowed the seal plug with new O-ring to fit in the casting recess. It took a few moderate raps with a hammer (hammer striking wooden dowel placed on the deal plug). It fit snugly, which was encouraging.
    This afternoon I sized 300 429421 44"s. Lube was fairly soft. There was no leakage. I am very happy about how this all turned out. Thank you to everyone who offered thoughts and comments.
    ---------
    JIMinPHX- The 4500 I bought a couple of weeks ago to replace what is now the back-in-service 450 has the same issue you mentioned about the post being too short. I like your fix. Do you sell these? I don't have a lathe or the ability to make something like your design. thanks

Keyhole

Boolit Master
    The first day I got my new 4500 I sat the base on a sheet of gasket material and cut out a footprint gasket for it. When I later moved it to a different location on the bench I could see where there was some slight wear from the bottom of the threaded rod turning, but there has never been any leakage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    ---------
    JIMinPHX- The 4500 I bought a couple of weeks ago to replace what is now the back-in-service 450 has the same issue you mentioned about the post being too short. I like your fix. Do you sell these? I don't have a lathe or the ability to make something like your design. thanks

Keyhole
    Sorry for the delay in responding, I just saw this now. I can make some of those up if you need them. It's not that hard. What size(s) do you need?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I just received "O" rings from Lyman I ordered on their website. The included an in inside seal for the plunger and rings for the newer H&I dies. while I was at it I got a new ratched handle the new one is a lot better than the original.
    My Lyman is a 45 lubricator/sizer with new guts for the 4500 someone put in it before I got it.
    I have used one for 55 years and hope to have at least 24-30 left. I have had at least 3 of the older units given to me. Factory parts are better than messing around with self made stuff. Be Safe.....
    PS has anyone tried the lube heater for the hard lube?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderEd View Post
    PS has anyone tried the lube heater for the hard lube?
    Lots of options. Mine is the press mounted to a piece of .135 steel with a yard sale flat iron sitting on it.

ADMIN

I was given a Lyman 45. It was completely reworked prior to me getting it.
    I haven't had any issues with it besides its slow
    Basically I have to turn the lube screw almost every time. I can turn it a lot but then when I size the first boolit it pushes out a lot of lube under the boolit.
    So I just turn it a little bit each time I put a new boolit in. It works. It isn't super fast. I plan to replace it with a Star Sizer later this year. I don't do a lot of boolits but my time is valuable so I need to do the most efficient method possible.

To JIMinPHX

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll have to take stock of what size(s) I need and email you in the next few days. Hopefully that will be OK.

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Keyhole

Whenever you are ready, drop me a PM & we can work out the details.

Regards,
    Jim
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12