Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fix for leaking Lyman 450 sizer

fix for leaking Lyman 450 sizer

My Lyman 450 sizer, which I bought new back in the 70's, is finally leaking lube so bad it is not usable. It is coming out of the seal on the bottom of the casting.
    I just put a glop of Perma Gasket between the bottom of the casting and the hardboard piece of wood to which it is bolted. It is drying now so will try it tomorrow.
    Frankly I am skeptical that this will work. The bottom of the casting is not exactly flat plus the steel cylinder(?) which fills the hole protrudes below the casting a 1/32" or so. So the surface of the sizer bottom and the piece of wood do not fit together as close as would be desirable. I tried to get enough Perma Gasket applied to fill the void but I am not even sure it will take the pressure.
    Has anyone had experience fixing this better than what I am doing? What about sending it back to Lyman for repair?

Thank you for your thoughts

Keyhole

When I had mine, I draw filed the bottom to get the high points off- but nothing too extreme. Just enough to bolt to aluminum heater blocks without fear of cracking the casting.

In between the blocks and sizer, I used a thin bead of Permatex #1 (hardeneing?) and let it set.

I did use a heater so not much pressure was required in my set up.

Boolit Master
    I had mine for a long time, recently autioned off here, and when I got it the bottom was not flat at all and as a result of that the plug did not fit right, I always thought it not being flat was an anamoly of the one I had but apparrently not so. Anyway years ago I machined the bottom flat and made a new plug to fit better and while not perfect it was way better. I also would place a gasket of thin cardboard like that used for primer boxes, or thin rubber and usually had no problem after that.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

If you don't use a heater, draw file it, cut a gasket the size of the mounting flange on the sizer out of the side of a 12-pack soda carton (very tough material), coat in on the sizer (up) side with Pematex anerobic sealant, bolt it down tight against a good, hard, flat base and walk away for 24 hours. You will have to use power tools to remove this later, but it won't leak.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    The Prefessor had a thread about a fix he did for his leaking Lyman sizer a while back.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
    As predicted, the Perma Gasket "fix" did not work at all. The gap between the base of the 450 and the wood piece to which it is mounted was too great. The Perma Gasket never dried after 1 1/2 days and it leaked unabated. After removing the still wet Perma Gasket and cleaning all surfaces thoroughly, I then tried applying a good helping of epoxy (2500 psi-type) plus a thin cardboard paper cutout. The paper cutout more or less filled in the imperfections of the casting base. After letting it dry overnight, the epoxy was definitely hardened. I was surprised when this setup leaked also. I did not try to file the base flat. I don't have access to a milling machine so hand filing is about the best I can do. I guess that is the next step if I can get the epoxy glue base off. Since I had this so long and figured I got my money's worth, I ordered a 4500 yesterday. If I can fix my old one, it will be a backup.
    Again, everyone has helpful input. thank you

Keyhole

Banned

Use a propane torch and a putty knife to remove the epoxy. Protect your lungs and eyes while doing so. Draw file the bottom with a medium bastard, slowly and carefully. It won't take much.

I haven't seen what the Perfesser's fix was, but he's a dandy with machine tools so I'm sure it is effective, check it out.

Gear

It surprises me that those things ever don't leak, even when they are new. That gland design is kind of "basic" to say the least. I think that they should have an o-ring or something in them.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Try using a little JB Weld,then a lapping compound to seat then in.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    There is an O-ring on the steel plug. Clean the lube from the sizer, use a socket nearly the size of the plug and drive it back in place. Use a center punch to stake the plug in several places. Use soda or beer carton cardboard to cut several circles smaller than the recess in the base of the sizer, and check for height. When you have it thick enough to be level or slightly higher than the base flange, cut a piece the size of the base and bolt everything to a board or piece of metal.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Mold
    I bought a used 450 a few months ago. When I mounted it to my workbench, I put a thin O- ring on the small round recessed area on the bottom of the sizer where the plug is before bolting it down. So far it has been working without any leakage.

Boolit Buddy
    here...take a look at the parts breakdown and see what parts you should replace

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...BC_LS_4500.pdf

and heres the price list

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

hopes it helps

John J

If you go to the link that John J just posted , There is a complete assembly parts no,2745817
    The price is not on the link, but it is $16.00 " If you need the extra parts"

( I just put in an order for one yesterday"

I'm guessing that the "Seal Plug O-Ring* 2990623" needs to be replaced. Thank you for sending the parts diagram and price list.
    I imagine that you need to remove the Seal Plug* 2990546 to get at the seal plug. Anyone had experience doing this?

Thank you to everyone. All your responses have been very helpful.

Keyhole

I finally got sick & tired of my 4500 leaking lube out from around the center pin in the die, so I made a little improvement. I made a new center pin with a couple of O-ring grooves in it. I also made the new pin a little longer, since I like the boolit to be pushed fully out of the die for easy removal. It seems to work well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DiePins.JPG   PinDwg.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older sizer also, think it is from the 70's. I was leaking worse andd worse. So I took it to work with me to fixer up. I figured I had every "o" ring known to man but I was wrong. Seems that airplanes and lube sizers have no "o" rings in common. So on the way home I stopped it the ole Home Depot and found them in the plumbing section, in the faucet rack. I think the total cost was 3.00 +/-. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    If you don't use a heater, draw file it, cut a gasket the size of the mounting flange on the sizer out of the side of a 12-pack soda carton (very tough material), coat in on the sizer (up) side with Pematex anerobic sealant, bolt it down tight against a good, hard, flat base and walk away for 24 hours. You will have to use power tools to remove this later, but it won't leak.

Gear
    I did the same only I used a drill press and drilled and tapped an aluminum base to the bottom of the sizer. Took some cardboard from a soda carton and used the base and the holes where I mounted the screws as a template. I then silicon-ed and mounted the cardboard to the sizer and the aluminum base to make sure both surfaces were sealed. It has been about 5 years now and not a drop has come out of the bottom.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

After digesting everyone's suggestions, I thought I would try and get to the root of why it is leaking, rather than struggle with ways to contain the leak. I took out the pressure screw, removed the partial stick of lube and gently drove out the seal plug from inside with a large wooden dowel. Voila! It's no wonder the old girl is leaking so bad. The O-ring ("Seal Plug O-Ring* 2990623") shown in the diagram kindly furnished by John J had completely disintegrated. I found 3 pieces but there are more somewhere inside. If I can't find the right replacement one at Home Depot or similar, as suggested by NWFLYJ, I'll order one from Lyman. Thank you to everyone, all your ideas and thoughts helped.

Keyhole

An o-ring from Harbor Freight fixed my leaky 450, will probably work for yours too.
    Wayne
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I finally got sick & tired of my 4500 leaking lube out from around the center pin in the die, so I made a little improvement. I made a new center pin with a couple of O-ring grooves in it. I also made the new pin a little longer, since I like the boolit to be pushed fully out of the die for easy removal. It seems to work well.
    That is a great idea. Just one more reason i need to get a lathe.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast