PBcastcoLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wc867 & 872

Boolit Master

Breath of life to a zombie thread. I took up Widener's on the buy enough and they eat the hazmat charge on WC867 and WC872 both.

Just curious if anyone else has more to add to this. I'm in shock to read this would work in .38 special. Do you just fill it to wear the boolit sits over it or does it need to be compressed? I would think if you can do a .38 then you could do a .357 in the same manner which makes me think you could do the same for a .44 load too. I may be reaching on that though. I clicked the link for the Surplus Powder Data and that's a great start. Can anyone add anything else to it? I don't get why it wouldn't work in .30-30 but it worked in a .38??? Widener's still has both powders in stock.

Boolit Master
    Are you talking about the Castpics link below? If you follow it you will find data for 30-30 using WC872.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

I didn't even know a 220gr bullet would fit in a .30-30 cartridge and I have to assume that's for a single shot rifle. It says the barrel length was 26" so I'm guessing it wasn't a lever action or it wasn't one I've ever seen. I wonder if WC872 is so slow that you HAVE to use a heavy for caliber bullet to slow it down some to match the burn rate with the barrel length. I guess I just wish there was some more info. I like the talk of the duplex loads but I've never seen data for any of those other than some random posts. Is there a source for that as well?

Boolit Mold
    need load for a 30-378 web mag with wc-872
    thanks for your help justcharlie

Boolit Master

well I hope its good stuff I just ordered 16lbs of WC-872 and 28Lbs of IMR-7383 from Jeff...... Looking forward to checking it out. The 7383 looks like I will really get some 06 use out of it and I found a load for the WC-872 for 06 180gr condom under 63gr does that sound about right?

Arise old thread!

I loaded my 7mm-08 with WC867 today, 50gr under the LEE 285 130, GC and PC. Kicked just like a factory J-word cartridge, no idea what the speed was but for $0.035 worth of powder per shot, I'll take it all day long (or until my shoulder gives out).

A 10 shot string at 50 yards was a touch under 2" with a badly fouled bore, the shots wandered to the right then looped under and around to the start. Very strange. It looks like I will need to pull a snake every 50 shots or so.

I have been duplexing the WC867 with IMR 4198 and Ram Silhouette in .223, 7mm-08, 7.62x39 and now the 350 Legend. All will great success and good speeds, bolt lock up in the AR's etc. I have been very happy with the WC867 so far and the price is right!

Boolit Master
    Ive had WC 872 for many years. Used it with 300 RUM, 300 Jar, and 338 lap and jacketed bullets. I used Hodgdon H870 for data and it worked well, but back off some and work your way up. I tried it in 6.5-284, it shoot Ok but speed was not up to snuff and ran out of case cap before i could get what i was looking for. I think the closest powder to WC872 made today is US869,but that's just my best guess.

Boolit Man

I have used W872 duplex successfully in many cartridges, even including .45 Colt and .454 Casull. In today's world of disappearing powder, i think that many may find it very useful. I am very glad i still have around 30lbs of it and at just over $4 a pound i found it hard to refuse.

Boolit Master
    Just Charlie H870 data is close but i would work my way up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123