RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: You figure it out

Boolit Buddy

You figure it out

I'm new and need help please. I mixed this up and thought I had it figured out and I'm just plain lost...I think.
    I mixed 5.5 lb ww + 8lb lead + 4 oz tin.= 7.4 bhn on lee tester. Ranch dog tlc460425rf boolit. I wanted somewhere around 12bhn so I mixed another batch to try.
    batch no.two
    I took 2lbs of the above alloy and added 24 oz ww. Quinched boolits com out @ 10.4 bhn.
    Can someone tell me what % pb / sb / sn is in this alloy?I' guessing at 94-4-4. Is this anywhere close? To what extent are these going to age harden or soften.
    Thanks

Lastborn,
    No, your numbers are not close. There is likely no more than 2%Sb and just a fraction of a percent of Sn in your second 'test' alloy.

Plain old clip-on ww's, with maybe a percent or two of Sn, will get you exactly where you want to be. Test some air-cooled bullets before going to quenched bullets. I load a lot of full-power heavy 44Mag bullets cast from straight air-cooled ww's, and they shoot great and leave the bore shiny. Correct sizing is much more important than exact alloy. Good luck.

Boolit Man
    Alloy #1 = 96.8/1.2/2 Pb/Sb/Sn
    Alloy #2 = 96.7/2/1.3 Pb/Sb/Sn

Modern WW alloy is ~ 96.5/3/0.5
    If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."

Positive trades/sales with: pack3480, Bert2368, 62fusil, Springfield, bobthenailer, johnch, CENTEX BILL, lastborn, chuebner,
    AzShoote, Calhoun Kid, Ruckus Ralph, Zbench, hardcase54, rockrat, techlava, jbrown

Negative deals with: none

Boolit Buddy

thanks JR

Thank you JR. Could you tell me the simple way to calculate that please?

Boolit Master

Convert everything to ounces and go from there...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Doing the math shows that Jr81452's numbers are spot-on, and I also concur on the modern ww formula. Good job.

Just convert to ounces, calculate the quantity of the alloy components in ounces based on percentages, and then calculate the component percentages based on the combined weight of all components. I hope that makes sense.

Allowing for 0.5%Sn in the 88ozs of ww's, that's 0.44ozs of Sn (.005 x 88= .44).
    Add to that the 4ozs of Sn, and that makes 4.44ozs Sn (4 + 0.44= 4.44).
    The combined weight in alloy #1 is 220ozs (88ozs+128ozs+4ozs=220ozs).
    4.44/220= 0.0201818 That's 2.01% Sn in alloy #1 (0.0201 x 100= 2.01).

That's how you calculate the Sn weight and percentage in alloy #1. Use the same process to determine the other component weights and then percentages for alloy #1, and then simply repeat it with the relevant numbers for alloy #2 (32ozs of Pb96.8/Sb1.2/Sn2.0 and 24ozs of Pb96.5/Sb3.0/Sn0.5).

Hope this helps, good luck.

Boolit Buddy

Ok I think I got it

I think my problem was I didn't convert everything to ounces.
    I love this forum. The experience and knowledge here is great and ya'll don't mind sharing. I know I'll have more questions.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Here is a good site for you to look at and it may help.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Welcome to the forum.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lastborn View Post
    Thank you JR. Could you tell me the simple way to calculate that please?
    Use the calculator I sent you via email

If you must do it manually, convert everything to grains at 7000gr/1Lb

"We do PRECISION GUESSWORK based on vague assumptions and unreliable data of dubious accuracy provided by persons of questionable intellectual capacity."

Positive trades/sales with: pack3480, Bert2368, 62fusil, Springfield, bobthenailer, johnch, CENTEX BILL, lastborn, chuebner,
    AzShoote, Calhoun Kid, Ruckus Ralph, Zbench, hardcase54, rockrat, techlava, jbrown

Quote Originally Posted by jr81452 View Post
    Use the calculator I sent you via email

If you must do it manually, convert everything to grains at 7000gr/1Lb
    There is no need to convert to grains, and multiplication of each pound by 7000 belabors the math enormously. There is no mathematical benefit to be had by conversion to grains.

Simply convert all weights to ounces, and you're set. Most folks in the US measure bulk lead and tin in ounces anyway, so conversion to another weight standard is an unnecessary additional step, and potential source of error.

Good luck.

Boolit Man
    Forgive me sagacious, I have OCD. Even 1 hundredth of an ounce is 4.375gr. Not nearly precise enough to satisfy me. When I measure out alloy metals into ounce coins I measure 437.5gr +/- .05gr. I'm just sick that way

Boolit Master
    The Cast Bullet Assoc. has a great calculator on this page

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/downloads.shtml

Forgive me sagacious, I have OCD. Even 1 hundredth of an ounce is 4.375gr. Not nearly precise enough to satisfy me. When I measure out alloy metals into ounce coins I measure 437.5gr +/- .05gr. I'm just sick that way
    Ha ha! I hear ya-- no worries!
    Last edited by sagacious; 08-21-2010 at 03:54 AM.

Boolit Master

Jr, do they let you out of the home at night, or just during daylight hours?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Man
    I own the home, I get to go out whenever I like

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Jr, do they let you out of the home at night, or just during daylight hours?
    They only let me out at night, right after the air-raid sirens are sounded.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know why, but I convert to grains also. Just easier for me I guess.